Bird shortage

Hattrick

Bird shortage

Post by Hattrick » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Here on the east coast it seems to be a big shortage on game birds from quail,chuckers and even buying pigeons at the local stock yards. It just isn't any aviable nowhere. Is this the same across the country? Its MAKING TRAINING REALLY TUFF hard to train without birds.

MTR

Re: Bird shortage

Post by MTR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 pm

Have had some issues around here as well. There was a thread about this and around the new year and I didn't think anything of it until I called the local game farm to schedule a hunt (I had hunted there a week or so earlier with no issues)- they were done for the season - they couldn't get any more birds for the year. :(

I am charged with getting birds for our NAVHDA chapter this year's tests. We have pre purchased our chuckar for May and June, but we can't find a rooster pheasant to save my life. It's almost comical when I call all of my contacts - they have nothing left.

I wish you better luck than I have had.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:16 pm

We are running into the same problem, our guy cut back about 40k birds thinking he would be stuck at end of year. I picked up 120 last week and he says we are done unless some plantation cancels their last order . I waas able to get 100 ,4 week old birds today so maybe we'll be set.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Can't find birds here either.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Same story here in PA.

-john

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:14 pm

MTR wrote: ...called the local game farm to schedule a hunt (I had hunted there a week or so earlier with no issues)- they were done for the season - they couldn't get any more birds for the year. :(
Just heard that of a huge preserve about an hour away from me...no more pheasant to finish out the season. Our NAVHDA chapter is putting in an estimate to our supplier. Hopefully he can meet our needs, and I hope I didn't underestimate mine when I gave a #. :?

MTR

Post by MTR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:59 pm

wems2371 wrote:
MTR wrote: ...called the local game farm to schedule a hunt (I had hunted there a week or so earlier with no issues)- they were done for the season - they couldn't get any more birds for the year. :(
Just heard that of a huge preserve about an hour away from me...no more pheasant to finish out the season. Our NAVHDA chapter is putting in an estimate to our supplier. Hopefully he can meet our needs, and I hope I didn't underestimate mine when I gave a #. :?
I'll be ok for our March/April/May training days and Chuckar for the first May test, but the rooster thing sucks. I have even called game farm/preserves that I know the owners of and said " Hey, I'll pay what you charge someone when you put them out on your farm to hunt, just keep'em for me until our May NA/UT tests." They don't even have birds to hold for me let alone for people to go out and hunt on their farms.

I talked with Mcfarlane and a few other WI pheasant raisers, they won't have birds until July. :(
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Thats crazy. Never thought this would be a issue so I'll be raising my own here soon. I wonder what the problem is? I did here that a big suppler in PA reteired. It was a huge operation from what i herd.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:00 pm

It is primarily weather related. Many more hunters this year with the nice weather compared to the past two years that about put many of the preserves out of business.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:05 pm

Here in PA, when the game commission lost a bunch of their birds, so did the other sellers. Plus many people have been hitting up the preserves rather than hunt the limited number of state stocked birds.

-John