Seeking e-fence opinions

isuhunter

Seeking e-fence opinions

Post by isuhunter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Looking at some options for our puppy.

Are you guys in favor of an e-fence? I've been looking at the sportdog setup. Are there any issues or concerns that I should be aware of? We have 3 month old GSP female puppy.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Seeking e-fence opinions

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm not in favor because I live in a rural area. Too many things can get in the "fence" with your dog and there are a lot of distractions to encourage the dog to run through the "fence" which she/he then can't get back through to get back into the yard.

Those are my problems with an electric fence.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:59 am

Search Invisible Fence, lots of discussion on this topic.
I live in the city (suburb) and love mine. Both my dogs will not leave the area. They can be running full bore after a rabbit or squirrel and slam on the brakes when they get close. They cannot be coaxed out of the yard, I have had people try just to test and they hold their ground. I started with the "Invisible Fence" brand name installed for big $$$ and after they would not respond to a collar problem with lifetime warranty I took their unit out and put one in from a local competitor that has been great to deal with. Dog Watch brand.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=31828&p=298011&hil ... ce#p298011

I would highly recommend staying away from the Invisible Fence brand. After my issues with the local franchise I wrote corporate and they would not even respond. I will steer people clear of this company.

Griffsmom

Post by Griffsmom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:24 am

We have a SportDog system and we love it. Have had it installed for going on three years now, and we live in the country with probably about 3-4 acres fenced for them to run in. Took a couple days to install it. I personally wouldn't ever be without one after having this. We have had no escapes with it, every once in a while may get close but it gives a warning beep and that is all it takes to remind them to back off. I like that it has a warning zone that you can increase or decrease in width if you have one that would test the fence. Nice also that the collar runs on a 9 volt battery, and don't have to buy an expensive replacement with some other systems. Love ours.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:52 am

I would not get an e-fence. Get a real fence.

The fence can fail, the collar can fail and it does not protect your dog from other dogs entering your yard. Think about it.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 am

Have one and love it. like others mine will not cross for anything. My brother also has the same system and my pup learned his setup in one lap around the yard. I dont leave her out when im not home but i would not do that with any fence. Each has pros and cons. mine was a used system for 100$ and i installed it in about and hour with a weed whip. pretty hard to beat......... :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 am

Here is how I found mine, http://www.dogfencediy.com/ but I will be honest ours is used to keep a mix breed and a beagle that are escape artists in an already fenced yard. I am not sure I would ever be comfortable with just the efence,what I can tell you is these dogs NEVER even test the fence after a few zaps.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 am

I use the radio fence with the stubborn dog collars. I have 3 acres for the dogs and I do live out in the country. Varmints can get in yes but they never leave ha ha. I have 6 shorthairs they are only out when I or my son is home. Otherwise they are in their kennels. I never leave em out at night, the skunk smell is hard to get out.... these collars have 5 levels of stimulation, they first beep, then vibrate, then shock. Fence is adjustable for width too. I am all for it, dogs dont accidently go into the road, they know the boundary and respect it. Look on ebay for some good prices, I bought mine from their online store and had the fencer replaced for 30.00 after lightning hit it and toasted it. Took out the ground wire too so i also replaced that. Just last spring.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:40 pm

We have the Petsafe wireless e-fence and love it. We have had it for 8 years and have had 5 dogs on it. We only have the dogs out when we are home. They are in kennels/runs or in the house if we are gone. The collars have a light that blinks when they are starting to go dead so you have a heads up to change the battery. We have feral cats that have learned the boundaries and love to sit just outside of them and tease the dogs, the dogs do not go through. BTW - the cat that didn't get out of the shed in time Saturday is no longer with us, so it's not that the dogs won't kill them.

larry

Post by larry » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:01 pm

I also have pet-safe, each collar can be set for each individual dogs need. Dogs love the freedom of running in the yard, have killed 2 woodchucks and 1 rabbit. When not at home dogs are either in their kennel or crated in the house.