Dog drooling badly when left alone in crate?

hoof

Dog drooling badly when left alone in crate?

Post by hoof » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 pm

One of my friends from work just got a 6 month old Weimer, and it has an odd problem. When it is left alone in its kennel (an extra large wire cage) it drools itself soaked. They adopted the dog just recently, and they just don't feel comfortable leaving it out in the house unattended, but the dog is soaked whenever they return. My understanding is there will literally be a puddle in the tray of the kennel from drool. I suggested they leave a radio on for company, which they did, with no apparent results. The dog was pretty shy at first, but is pretty well adjusted now (it has been 2-3 weeks).

Anyone ever have this trouble with a dog before?

Thanks,
CHAZ

Munster

Re: Dog drooling badly when left alone in crate?

Post by Munster » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 am

Dont think it is an odd problem at all. Sounds like anxiety to me.

I guess I would try leaving him for short periods of time and then progress to longer time. Have then not just kennel the dog when they leave, but for short times through out the day. Try to associate it with good things.
I also believe that obedience and the dog having a job will help with this stuff. Obedience builds confidence in dogs.They know what is expected of them, less anxiety.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:03 am

It's also possible the dog wasn't properly crate trained. The owner may have to repeat the steps in reducing the dogs anxiety. Back to the basic of rewarding for kennel, and leaving the door open, using it as a comfort zone more than an auxiliary.

It does for sure sound like anxiety, though.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 am

Drooling is a well-known symptom of stress/anxiety in dogs.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 am

I had a young setter that used to do the same thing. He would be saturated as if he was watered down with a hose. He wasn't able to be left alone in the house with the other dogs becasue he would damage things like the couch. That beign said the fix for the problem for us was to put him in a kennel outside. We got him from a man that kept in a kennel and he seemed very comfortable in there. The drooling stopped and he seems like a happier dog. He is fine with all the other dogs and people. I think he just didn't like the confinement of being in the house and a crate. this is just what worked for me.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 am

As someone who has personally experienced separation anxiety with a Weim, I really feel there's not a whole lot you can do. Mine's almost 12 now, and after trying soooooo many different avenues, training, devices, etc. the only things that we found that truly helped were 1. getting another dog and 2. putting her on prozac. I've heard that separation anxiety is rather prevalent in the Weim breed, and it's not so much a behavior issue as a mental illness basically. Mine has had issues with it from day one, and hers went way beyond drooling in the crate.....she would injure herself in the crate. She's quite neurotic in general. She's been on prozac for a few years and it has really helped. I don't like resorting to drugs and it was our last resort, but it has made it possible to live with her, and she remains out with the other dogs in our house and there has not been an incident for years now. I'm not saying every dog in particular should go on prozac, I'm not a vet, but that has personally helped my dog. There are many other drugs and supplements out there for anxiety issues (we've tried several of them) but this was what worked for us.
Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 am

It may be a issue with the breed, but giving the dogs age I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. Work with the dog and see what happens.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27 am

Munster wrote:Dont think it is an odd problem at all. Sounds like anxiety to me.

I guess I would try leaving him for short periods of time and then progress to longer time. Have then not just kennel the dog when they leave, but for short times through out the day. Try to associate it with good things.
I also believe that obedience and the dog having a job will help with this stuff. Obedience builds confidence in dogs.They know what is expected of them, less anxiety.

x2 Exactly.

( Could be worse. i had a shelter dog cover it's crate in diahrrea ( From anxiety) whenever she was left alone. :roll: )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

All of this make sense, but here's an untested (by me) hypothesis. The recently-out "Thundershirt" is getting very positive reviews in achieving its intended purpose of stress reduction in thunderstorms. It's worth a try under other stressful situations as well AFTER trying to retrain the dog to a crate as benny has suggested. Feeding the dog in crate makes sense, too,and occasional treats on entering if he's a foodhound.

But that said, a Thundershirt is worth a try.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:39 pm

+1 on the Thundershirt. I have one for my GSD for thunderstorms and some general anxiety in certain situations. It works great! Believe it or not it also helps her with car sickness. I would, like stated above, also try to retrain the crate in a positive manner to help make it a good place.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:46 pm

hoof wrote: When it is left alone in its kennel (an extra large wire cage)
Try loaning them a solid-sided airline crate of the RIGHT size. Dogs like security and a giant crate isn't a den. Moreover, wire crates (though dogs do adjust to them), if left out in the open (as opposed to an enclosed corner) can cause dogs to be nervous and insecure. I've used wire crates in the distant past, but I covered them with a fabric crate cover for that reason. They liked it much better.

Worth a try...

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 am

Steve007 wrote:
hoof wrote: When it is left alone in its kennel (an extra large wire cage)
Try loaning them a solid-sided airline crate of the RIGHT size. Dogs like security and a giant crate isn't a den. Moreover, wire crates (though dogs do adjust to them), if left out in the open as opposed to an enclosed corner can cause dogs to be nervous and insecure. I've used wire crates in the distant past, but I them covered with a fabric crate cover for that reason. They liked it much better.
Yes - or put a towel over the crate. Our dog would go nuts in the car in his wire crate - trainer suggested we add a towel over the crate - problem solved immediately. After about a month we got rid of the towel - no issues now.

jonstclair1311

Post by jonstclair1311 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 pm

My older Brittany pictured here was that way as a pup. She had the run of the house for 3 years, then had some issues. I started crating her again recently and was going through rolls of paper towels cleaning up saliva. She is now at peace in her well-bedded with prairie grass hay K-9 Condo. No salivating in the condo and she runs to it after letting her out before work, as she know the alternative inside is not what she wants.

hoof

Post by hoof » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 pm

My friend said that he switched to a smaller plastic kennel and the dog got better. I haven't talked to him in a little while to find out if the problem is completely gone.
Thanks a lot for the help.
CHAZ

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 am

I had a pointer female years ago that was a kennel licker. She would be covered in drool all the time. I would just give her a bath and she would be good as new. She was one heck of a trial dog.......
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com