Tracker Tracking System

Ahumphers91a

Tracker Tracking System

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:10 am

Doe's anyone have experience with the Tracker - Classic 216MHZ Rec./Supra 216MHZ Trans.? I think this is my best bet for trialing and hunting in the hills for Chukar.
Thanks,
Adam

jimbo&rooster

Re: Tracker Tracking System

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:23 am

I just bought a used tracker off of a guy on here this fall and have been really happy with it. I had cut my teeth growing up with a wildlife system and the tracker seems to be more user friendly.
I will say that the only time I have really had to use it was when I got home and realized I had left the collars on the toungue of the horse trailer and one fell off on the way home :oops: :oops: , but I had no issues finding it.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 am

Just an FYI before you go buy one, Tracker is discontinuing its line of RF tracking collars.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:04 am

I have had a Tracker Classic for about 8 years and have used it in trials and hunting, on the praries and bottom/farm land. Works great! Had it tuned up last year after the battery wire broke. Just like new now.

I just got a Garmin 320 a couple months ago. I love it, but if I was running an All Age type dog in a trial, where battery life may be a concern if the dog really got lost I would go with my Tracker. When I hunt I use both.

You will like the Tracker. Just remember that the handheld is NOT waterproof.

Doug

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 pm

So thats why the price is so low. Discontinuing it...kinda makes me not want it now. They pretty good as far as up keep?

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:56 am

I've had my tracker for years. It's been through heck and never failed me. I trust it a whole lot more than my Garmin.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 am

One thing you may want to consider...

The Tracker classic is married to the exact frequency of the collar(s) it comes with. If the collar gets trashed, you got nothin'.

I would recommend that you find a Tracker Maxima with one, two or five frequency bands(216-220) depending on your pocketbook and future needs. The maxima is a bit more pricey than the classic, but can be programmed to whatever collar is on the dog (as long as the receiver is set up for the frequency band). I believe the new onesalso aoolow some fine tuning if the signal begins to drift.

I have a maxima with two bands and have never needed more. I only had one problem...a wire came loose on the receiver. A litttl work with a needlenose pliers and a dot of solder and done.

It is my understanding that a new maxima has a ten year warranty. That is pretty good.

RayG

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:39 am

RayGubernat wrote:One thing you may want to consider...

The Tracker classic is married to the exact frequency of the collar(s) it comes with. If the collar gets trashed, you got nothin'.

I would recommend that you find a Tracker Maxima with one, two or five frequency bands(216-220) depending on your pocketbook and future needs. The maxima is a bit more pricey than the classic, but can be programmed to whatever collar is on the dog (as long as the receiver is set up for the frequency band). I believe the new onesalso aoolow some fine tuning if the signal begins to drift.

I have a maxima with two bands and have never needed more. I only had one problem...a wire came loose on the receiver. A litttl work with a needlenose pliers and a dot of solder and done.

It is my understanding that a new maxima has a ten year warranty. That is pretty good.

RayG
Ray, should a RF collar become trashed, one could easily order a replacement in the correct frequency from Wildlife, Marshal or L&L Electronics.
Dan

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 am

I just thought a price of 599.99 dropped to 199.99 was a heck of a deal.