Llewellin Setter or an English Setter

Montana

Llewellin Setter or an English Setter

Post by Montana » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:46 am

I'm thinking about getting a Setter and can't decide between a Llewellin and an English Setter.... Yes, I know....they are same dog in a lot of people's minds, but are there any real significant differences between the two, or no (understanding that there are different lines of Enlish Setters that have different characteristics)? The Llewellin Breeders I've talked to are pretty adamant that Llewellins are more inclined to work to the gun and not disappear over the horizon, but the English Setter breeders say their dogs are similar and that there really isnt much of a difference between the two... Any thoughts?

SetterNut

Re: Llewellin Setter or an English Setter

Post by SetterNut » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

I have 2 Llewellin setters. I have had Irish, Gordon and Red setters as well. I like the 2 Llewellins I have now as well or better than any dogs I have had for hunting.

Not having had an English Setter I can't really say if there the much difference between them. But I will say that these two are going to make a fine pair of bird dogs to hunt with.

Both of my LS check back often enough to maintain contact with me. They both have a lot of point in them and have been pointing birds as soon as I put them on birds at 3-4 months of age. They have enough run to cover open country but adjust thier range when the cover is heavy. Both of them have backed naturally, and have plenty of bird desire to keep hunting even when bird numbers are down. My pup Indy is a bolder pup then my 3 yo was, and is likely to have the bigger run when he is full grown. My 3 yo Ace hunts dead well, but does not retrieve, he just stands over the bird till I come and pick it up. He is a FF candidate, My pup has been retrieving birds naturally which is really nice.

The most knowlegable person I know on Llewellins is HighCotton (Charles). He breeds some very fine LS. My 8 month old pup Indy is one of his.

Here are a few pics (yes I like to show them off :D )

Indy pointing at 4 months

Indy backing at 4 months

Ace and Indy on a covey of quail

Ace pointing a Prairie Chicken.
Steve

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Both come in all flavors and colors. Both can produce big runners, shoe polishers and everything in between. It's not about English or Llewellin. It's about finding a breeder that produces the type dog you want.

If a breeder tells you one is better than the other...proceed with caution.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:50 pm

SetterNut wrote:I have 2 Llewellin setters. I have had Irish, Gordon and Red setters as well. I like the 2 Llewellins I have now as well or better than any dogs I have had for hunting.

Not having had an English Setter I can't really say if there the much difference between them. But I will say that these two are going to make a fine pair of bird dogs to hunt with.

Both of my LS check back often enough to maintain contact with me. They both have a lot of point in them and have been pointing birds as soon as I put them on birds at 3-4 months of age. They have enough run to cover open country but adjust thier range when the cover is heavy. Both of them have backed naturally, and have plenty of bird desire to keep hunting even when bird numbers are down. My pup Indy is a bolder pup then my 3 yo was, and is likely to have the bigger run when he is full grown. My 3 yo Ace hunts dead well, but does not retrieve, he just stands over the bird till I come and pick it up. He is a FF candidate, My pup has been retrieving birds naturally which is really nice.

The most knowlegable person I know on Llewellins is HighCotton (Charles). He breeds some very fine LS. My 8 month old pup Indy is one of his.

Great looking Dogs !!