holding points

bow.hunter123

holding points

Post by bow.hunter123 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:03 pm

went out today and killed 17 birds held every point was an awsome time. last point of the day i was taking my vest off and she was still hunting and went on point i had time to walk to the truck get a gun load it and walk back and shoot it very proud today did great :D

DogNewbie

Re: holding points

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 pm

That's awesome. I've also been feeling pretty proud of my 8mon old pup recently. I'm sure a lot of guys wouldn't be as excited, but this is my first pup ever so I'm easily excited by his progress. We've been training every night working on fetching with bumpers and whoa training. I'm just starting to overlay the ecollar on whoa and with bumpers I've got him whoaing at heel and waiting for my release before he can fetch. Yesterday I had him out on a couple pigeons and ran him on the check cord. First pigeon he was steady to flush with no corrections leading up to the flush and the second pigeon he got a little competitive when the shooter stepped in to flush the bird and tried to lunge forward. Glad I had the cc on him! I shot one bird over him to see how our retrieving work would transfer over to birds and he did great. He went right out to find the bird, lingered a little too long but brought the bird right back when I called him. Really fun to see him progressing. Now I'm going to work more on getting him steady flush and if he's progressing well I may even try to get him steady to shot by the fall. Hopefully with repetition he'll start retrieving without needing to be called back. Fun to hear your dog is coming along well.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

What bird do the regulations allow 17 to be killed in one day? or were these planted birds?
If they were planted birds, why would you kill 17 in one day? Just wondering.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Sharon wrote:What bird do the regulations allow 17 to be killed in one day? or were these planted birds?
I am also curious.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:32 am

birddogger wrote:
Sharon wrote:What bird do the regulations allow 17 to be killed in one day? or were these planted birds?
I am also curious.

Charlie
Me three.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:37 am

Sounds like he was hunting at a preserve. He either had a good day finding extra birds or he had the preserve put out a lot of birds.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:39 am

Consensus of curiosity... :mrgreen:
Ain't gonna judge him cuz I don't know... I'm thinkin' they must have been planted birds, or it was some sort of private preserve... but this is what I found about N.C. regulations... if that's where he was...

QUAIL
Nov. 19 – Feb. 29
Daily limit 6; Possession 12; Season, no limit
GROUSE
Oct. 17 – Feb. 29
Daily limit 3; Possession 6; Season 30
PHEASANT
Nov. 19 – Feb. 1 (male pheasant only)
Daily limit 3; Possession 6; Season 30

North Carolina Hunting regulations link...
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Reg ... unting.pdf
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 am

He's in NC they are preserver birds. If he killed 17 wild birds in NC they might be extinct now!

I don't even know the guy, but if he isn't hunting on 10,000 acres managed for quail you can't find that many wild birds in the south.

Sounds like a good day. Fun when the young pups start to figure it out.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am

MillerClemsonHD wrote:He's in NC they are preserver birds. If he killed 17 wild birds in NC they might be extinct now! I don't even know the guy, but if he isn't hunting on 10,000 acres managed for quail you can't find that many wild birds in the south.

Sounds like a good day. Fun when the young pups start to figure it out.

Too funny.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 am

Sounds like fun to me!!! :lol: I ain't seen 17 birds in one day since... well... guess I ain't never seen me 17 in a day!!! :oops: My dog would loose her mind!!!
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Some of you need to go to SD to pheasant hunt. You can only shoot three per day/ per hunter.
But...You can flush/point as many as you like. An average day where we hunt the dog gets
about 20. What I mean is he works and flushes 20 birds each day, some days more. Three days
of that and a one year old can be well on his way to being a bird dog.

JMHO

Mike

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Am I reading this right? Are there folks here that think shooting 17 birds on a preserve is a bad thing ? :?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Sounds like your dog is doing great!

Most preserves around me require a higher minimum than 17 just to use their property unless you are one of their guides. I have 4 preserves within 1.5 hours from me that I guide at as needed. The lowest any of them will allow is 20.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:21 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Am I reading this right? Are there folks here that think shooting 17 birds on a preserve is a bad thing ? :?
Not at all but he didn't say it was preserve /game farm hunting in his original post, so we asked.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 pm

No worries Sharon, just wondered, the blue quote is why I asked....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:30 pm

birddog1968 wrote:

No worries Sharon, just wondered, the blue quote is why I asked....
Same here birddog, I was just curious is all. Sounds like a lot of good dog work and good shooting.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Am I reading this right? Are there folks here that think shooting 17 birds on a preserve is a bad thing ? :?
Nope but just something a lot of don't do because we haven't found a reason too. Nothing wrong with it if you buy the birds and want to clean that many. I personally would run out of money and would much sooner shoot a couple a day for 8 days than all at once, Heck of a lot better for me and the dogs. But everyone can do what they want if it's legal.
That doesn't stop people from wondering why.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Glad everyone one doesn't want to shoot two a day for 8 days, there would be no preserves, they'd all go outta business :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Montana

Post by Montana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Here in Montana we can shoot 3 pheasants, 8 Huns, and 4 Sharptails per day...... That's 15 birds and it wouldn't really be all that tough to do if a person was inclined to (assuming they had a good dog)... In a decent year it's common to find multiple covey's of 30 to 50 Sharptails and sometimes more. Huns are usually in covey's of a dozen birds or so and they are fairly numerous. You never know with pheasants..... I've hunted 15 minutes and killed 3 birds and I've hunted for 2 hours and not killed any, but generally speaking a person could expect to find and flush 20 or 30 in a morning. Of course many of these would be hens, which we cant shoot here. I don't hunt to fill limits... If I can go out and take home 3 or 4 birds, that's enough for me.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Glad everyone one doesn't want to shoot two a day for 8 days, there would be no preserves, they'd all go outta business :lol:
I've belonged to a club for many years and probably have had less than a dozen birds ever put out total. We use the clubs as training grounds and I don't want birds put out but rather hunt what has been out for sometime and or wild birds. That way they react very much like a native bird. Have them flush out in front or try to sneek out on you. If I can shoot a couple over the dogs we are having a great day. I hate getting the young dogs in a field where there are birds all over. I want them to have to hunt to find them and too many confuse the younger dogs quite often. That's why I don't like SD real well for a pointing dog. I'm completely satisfied with 3 to 6 finds and points. Go home and do it again in a few days. The birds I have had put out are usually used to show a dog to someone or to teach a kid to hunt and shoot. I guess I think of birds as more of a tool than the prize. The prize to me is seeing a young dog perform or a young hunters smile when we leave the field.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:31 am

My dog Ron did 13 on Saturday, but we were guiding for a party of 8. Four dads and 4 kids. It could have been something like that.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 am

Good point 3Britts... it could have very well been a youth field day or some kind of large group... would be nice to hear some details and pictures! :D
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MJCarbonaro

Post by MJCarbonaro » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 am

My dog did a 20 bird hunt Sunday for 3 of us, so there are plenty of opportunties and large bird package available at preserves :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:10 am

MJCarbonaro wrote:My dog did a 20 bird hunt Sunday for 3 of us, so there are plenty of opportunties and large bird package available at preserves :D
Sure are. We have one location that is used for groups that need 50 birds or more put out.

Ezzy

bow.hunter123

Post by bow.hunter123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 pm

we killed 17 because i had 2 guys say they would buy birds if i brought my dog so i figured it would be good to get her on as many birds as possible. is it a bad thing that i killed 17 just wondering

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Lol Not to me it isn't bad, as long as they are being eaten. Glad you had a good time.:)

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Ive got a dog thats done 8000+ so I'd say your safe :lol:

Glad you had a great time !

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

bow.hunter123

Post by bow.hunter123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:32 pm

they just got eat tonight they were good to me too!!!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:59 pm

bow.hunter123 wrote:we killed 17 because i had 2 guys say they would buy birds if i brought my dog so i figured it would be good to get her on as many birds as possible. is it a bad thing that i killed 17 just wondering
Not at all, we were just curious.

Charlie

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Not at all!!! glad someone was into the birds! :D 8)
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln