Let's here em..

terrylndrs

Re: first nstra trial any tips?

Post by terrylndrs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:03 am

Good Luck! Have Fun! Enjoy...

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 am

Get there early enough to watch as many braces as possible. You'll learn a lot in the process, and my guess is that you'll also encounter some veterans who will be more than happy to give you advice. Your first trial will be about getting a feel for the game, and having a good time.

Good luck....

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 am

Are you running in amateurs or open class? When I first started over 10 yrs ago there was only open class. I got schooled to say the least. First off go into NSTRA with a positive and low expectation attitude. It will take both you and your dog many braces to learn the game. Second most important bit of information is let you dog go and don't say a word to him unless you absolutely have to. This is the hardest thing to do but you need to let him go and learn on his own. Last don't get discouraged, take notes on things to work on for next time. It is a very fun and addicting game. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am

I agree with the posters above, but will add, if you can take note of the wind and devise your route to cover every bit of that field with the wind to your advantage. Shoot straight and remember to remember where others had finds and you may see a pattern that will be to your advantage.

jlmyers

Post by jlmyers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 pm

ymepointer wrote:I agree with the posters above, but will add, if you can take note of the wind and devise your route to cover every bit of that field with the wind to your advantage. Shoot straight and remember to remember where others had finds and you may see a pattern that will be to your advantage.
Also try to devise a back up plan of attack in case your bracemate is faster and takes the line that you would prefer.

Definitely watch the bird planter and the braces before you run. You can get a good feeling for where birds are being found. Sometimes you can spot where a bird is planted in the preceeding brace and pick up an easy find.

Don't be afraid to ask the judge in the field if you have a question or aren't sure of how to handle a particular situation.

After you run your brace in a particular field ride along with a judge if you can. You will see and learn a lot and most judges don't mind answering questions.

Good luck and have fun!

Jim

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Not to hijack the thread but what are the steadiness requirements in NSTRA? steady to flush? Shot? Fall? Dead broke?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Not to hijack the thread but what are the steadiness requirements in NSTRA? steady to flush? Shot? Fall? Dead broke? Jim
steady to flush - and flush is determined by "moved from it's resting place"...walk, fly, kicked, etc.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm

I love that "moved from it's resting place" line. When I was in NSTRA it had the same rule. Had this guy I was judging in Spokane that pulled his dog with him as he passed it. He told me the bird was walking around so it was moved from it's resting place and he should get credit for it. He didn't. Understand that is a judgement call if nothing else and a judge can only score what he see's. And inturpertation of the rules is the perogitive of the judges. If the handler doesn't move the bird before the dog moves, who moved the bird? Sorry I find that a lame excuse for a dog that is not steady.

Been a lot of years since I was in NSTRA and we didn't have an open and amature class. So wwho get's to run in amature class?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:33 pm

DonF wrote:...He told me the bird was walking around so it was moved from it's resting place and he should get credit for it. He didn't.
Don I am with you. When I judged if the bird was walking, before the handler got there, I needed to see the handler get to the bird and make it move from the direction it was headed. Another thing to work your dog on...walking birds...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Watch where you point that gun. IN the excitement you can forget. I was a judge once and had to hit the ground face first., when I saw the guy swing the gun my way.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:54 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Not to hijack the thread but what are the steadiness requirements in NSTRA? steady to flush? Shot? Fall? Dead broke?

Jim

Yes. But you are scored with points for different skills so you can come out looking pretty good even though your dog .........................
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm

DonF wrote:I love that "moved from it's resting place" line. When I was in NSTRA it had the same rule. Had this guy I was judging in Spokane that pulled his dog with him as he passed it. He told me the bird was walking around so it was moved from it's resting place and he should get credit for it. He didn't. Understand that is a judgement call if nothing else and a judge can only score what he see's. And inturpertation of the rules is the perogitive of the judges. If the handler doesn't move the bird before the dog moves, who moved the bird? Sorry I find that a lame excuse for a dog that is not steady.

Been a lot of years since I was in NSTRA and we didn't have an open and amature class. So wwho get's to run in amature class?

Good question. Maybe it's everyone under 40. :)

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:06 pm

DonF wrote:So who get's to run in amature class?
It is based on the dog NOT handler. Dog must not have any open placements...

Right from the NSTRA site - Entrants shall be responsible for assuring their dog does not have any placements before entering an Amateur Trial. http://www.nstra.org/field_trial_formats.htm

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Try to be calm in the blind. If you are nervous you dog sense it.

Inform the judge that this is your first run in NSTRA. He will help you out as you go.

Try not to get hung up behind your brace mate. If it's a faster dog go to a different area so you won't end up backing for the entire brace. If your dog is faster let it roll. And be quiet. :)

It's a fun game....have fun with your dog.

birddogpete

Post by birddogpete » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:10 pm

i dont have any tips but Good Luck!! :)

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 am

Be sure to let us know how you did.......
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Have you run yet? If so How did it go, was our advice good or bad :?: