Setter guys

Birddog3412

Setter guys

Post by Birddog3412 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm

I have been running dogs alot with another guy. He has a setter male owned by an older gentlemen. The older guy shaved him all but the tail, which I know is pretty common. One thing though, he left a strip of hair on the front of the dogs chest just below the neck. I guess it is some time of tradition or something. Could someone explain this?

gmanksu

Re: Setter guys

Post by gmanksu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Never heard of the chest thing, I peel em except for the tail feathering in about Mid-late March.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:46 am

chest thing is more than likely because the dog get's pissy about it

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:31 am

Wildweeds wrote:chest thing is more than likely because the dog get's pissy about it
No thats not it, cause we shaved off that billy goat beard a few days later and he didnt move.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:24 am

Birddog3412 wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:chest thing is more than likely because the dog get's pissy about it
No thats not it, cause we shaved off that billy goat beard a few days later and he didnt move.
Some people like to leave it to protect their chest and stomach area when running in the field.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 am

Please pardon my ignorance, but why do people shave setters? Is it to keep them cool? Does the coat grow back okay?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:23 am

Is that why I've looked at setter pics on this forum and thought , " That's not a setter !" :lol: I have never seen a shaved setter working here in Britain ...... I thought you folk were breeding some funny looking setters but I was too polite to say so ! :lol: :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:53 am

tahi193 wrote:Please pardon my ignorance, but why do people shave setters? Is it to keep them cool? Does the coat grow back okay?
I have seen more than one pro shave down a setter, leaving just the feathering on the legs and the tail. When I asked the same question, I was told it was to allow them to run better in the heat. One pro shaved their bellies and lower flank very closely, but just sort of trimmed up the upper body fur. He told me that most of the heat transfer came through the belly area anyway, so shaving the top hair didn't help to the same extent.

From what I he seen, the hair grows back just fine.

RayG

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:57 am

Ray has nailed it
RayGubernat wrote:
tahi193 wrote:Please pardon my ignorance, but why do people shave setters? Is it to keep them cool? Does the coat grow back okay?
I have seen more than one pro shave down a setter, leaving just the feathering on the legs and the tail. When I asked the same question, I was told it was to allow them to run better in the heat. One pro shaved their bellies and lower flank very closely, but just sort of trimmed up the upper body fur. He told me that most of the heat transfer came through the belly area anyway, so shaving the top hair didn't help to the same extent.

From what I he seen, the hair grows back just fine.

RayG