Tips for picking the right pup

Jblightsey

Tips for picking the right pup

Post by Jblightsey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey guys, I will be getting a Brittany puppy in the coming months and need some advice. The last brittany I got is a great house dog, poor hunter, so with that in mind I want to be much more selective. What are key points that you look for when picking "the one" from the litter. Is it the alertness, his playfulness, etc. I want to make a good choice. ANY help is appreciated. Also, should I take a wing or other tool with me.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Tips for picking the right pup

Post by highcotton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:13 pm

If you want a hunter find a breeder with a record of producing hunters. Preferably get a pup from a repeat breeding that has produced the type dog you want. Weaning age pups can't tell you much...look at the sire and dam and then, unless you have a color or sex preference, cose your eyes and pick one. :)

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:52 pm

100% agree with Highcotton.

Most likely, none of the pups from the litter would have been what you are looking for.

Pick the best litter that you can afford based on what you are looking for, then pick the pup that you like best knowing that even if you pick the worst pup (which you may) from the litter it will still suit your needs.

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Buy a pup from the best bred litter you can find and pray.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

Fester

Post by Fester » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:47 pm

HighCotton is exactly right, find the best breed field dog you can find/afford and increase your chances many times
Fester

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm

LOOK at breeders with pedigrees from hunting stock with NAVHDA Titles and other hunting related venees

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:02 pm

If you get a puppy from a good litter, then it is more important what you do with him after you get him home rather than what you see at the breeders.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Yes, it's important to improve your chances of getting a pup with strong hunting instincts however, the right exposure to birds at a young age is crucial to a bird dogs development.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Assuming this is a well bred litter.

Don't pick the most independent pup if this is your first dog. Don't pick the shy little one your heart goes out to. That leaves maybe 5 pups to choose from. Decide on the sex you want and then pick the pup to whom you are attracted by color or personality. :) That is most you can go on with a 7 week litter.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Lots of good advise posted so far. You might also speak with the breeder as to what expectations you have. Provided this is not his first rodeo, he will know the puppies better than anyone and hopefully will point you towards one that fits your personality.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 pm

High Cotton called it right. Find the best bred britts with what you are looking for and just pick one. Then it will be up to you to get the pup on birds. We have owners picking up their pups this weekend and I tell them that all the pups will point birds in tthis litter. I tell them pick the color of pup or what they like about a pup but in the end they will all be bird finders. That is one thing about well bred britts.
Birddog 307

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Nothing to add other than don't get caught up in having to find a breeder near you. Don't be afraid to take a road trip to drive to pick up your pup, or to get him/her shipped to you. Also, if you can, don't let price of the pup be much of a factor, either. Money spent getting a well-bred, pup from healthy hunting lines will return itself many times over in unnecessary vet bills, training frustration, and time.

If you can personally watch the pup's parents work, and meet personally with the breeder, so much the better. However, for breeders half a country away, you will have to depend upon references and research to gain information about good lines. Learn about dogs in the pedigree. Google is your friend - put in the kennel name of the ancestors of a pup you have your eye on, and see what comes up. You will be amazed at all the interconnections among good breeders, and the successes their dogs show.

Look for field trial champions or NAVHDA UT certifications in numbers on the pedigrees. Call references.

You are not picking the pup in the litter as much as you are picking the breeder and the pup's ancestors.

Good luck. This is a fun time!!

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:49 am

Find a breeder that produces proven dogs with hunting ability. Call references and ask questions. Meet the parents in person, if possible see them work. I also wouldn't choose the most independent or the most shy puppy. Be very honest with the breeder about what you are looking for, how much experience you have, and what you would like to do with this dog. Ask them their opinion/observations about the litter. They are spending the most time with them. The breeder may have things you can use to play with or test the puppies. Talk to the breeder. Most breeders make a cross to improve the next dog. They can probably tell you why they made the cross. Have a plan about training the puppy once you bring it home. Do you have experience training bird dogs? Will you need help or a group that can help you? Write your plan in pencil it will change slightly from time to time as you pup develops. If you would like some help ask the breeder for ideas. I have had pups choose me, the breeder has chosen for me, and I have chosen pups. To date all have worked out ok. All dogs, even from the same breedings, are different. None are truly perfect but many can be great. Choose the litter and breeder carefully. Introduce and train your puppy to the best of your ability. ASK for help if you need it. Roll the dice and enjoy the game. Post pictures.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 pm

My last 2 pups were from litters a long ways from home, one came out of LA and one came out of MA. both were picked sight unseen and both are well on their way to becoming good bird dogs.I will agree pick the best litter you can afford and reach in and grab one.

However.... when picking from a litter I can get my hands on I have a sure fire way to get a good pup. I wade into the middle, and I take home the first one that bites me or unties my shoes..... I like a pup with some FIRE!

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 pm

I pick the one that is the most ornery.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:I pick the one that is the most ornery.

And how does that work for you? :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:10 am

Um, one DC and VERY awesome dog in general and one that is so much fun to be around you'd pee yourself.

Works for me :wink:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

mxdad777

Post by mxdad777 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:12 pm

This might sound a little silly, but if you want a good bird dog, you have to work for it (or pay some one to do the work for you). I can't tell you how many guys I know that have spent big bucks on a pup only to turn them loose in the back yard and never do anything with them except maybe play a little fetch. Then comes hunting season and they load up the dog and expect them to be the best hunting dog in the world. If you want a good bird dog, birds, birds, birds, birds and more birds. Along with some good training. I'm a firm believer in birds and training. Give me a back yard breeder pup and I'll send it off to a reputable trainer for 6 months and I'll put it up against the best pup in the world that has had zero training. Which one do you think will be the better bird dog? So yes, pick a pup from a proven reputable breeder and you are well on your way to having a great hunting partner. Just don't forget to do your part too.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:00 pm

[quote = Sharon] And how does that work for you? :)
Buckeye_V wrote: Um, one DC and VERY awesome dog in general and one that is so much fun to be around you'd pee yourself.

Works for me :wink:

LoL Touche.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:26 pm

mxdad777 wrote:This might sound a little silly, but if you want a good bird dog, you have to work for it (or pay some one to do the work for you). I can't tell you how many guys I know that have spent big bucks on a pup only to turn them loose in the back yard and never do anything with them except maybe play a little fetch. Then comes hunting season and they load up the dog and expect them to be the best hunting dog in the world. If you want a good bird dog, birds, birds, birds, birds and more birds. Along with some good training. I'm a firm believer in birds and training. Give me a back yard breeder pup and I'll send it off to a reputable trainer for 6 months and I'll put it up against the best pup in the world that has had zero training. Which one do you think will be the better bird dog? So yes, pick a pup from a proven reputable breeder and you are well on your way to having a great hunting partner. Just don't forget to do your part too.
Thanks for the "ditto". :wink:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Jblightsey

Post by Jblightsey » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

TraditionsGSPs2010 wrote:Lots of good advise posted so far. You might also speak with the breeder as to what expectations you have. Provided this is not his first rodeo, he will know the puppies better than anyone and hopefully will point you towards one that fits your personality.

Yep..

Pick the breeder and breeding program

Then let the breeder help you as they should know the pups over all dispositions since they are raising them and see them on a constant basis and they will want the best fit for their pups as the new owner will want in their pups
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:16 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Nothing to add other than don't get caught up in having to find a breeder near you. Don't be afraid to take a road trip to drive to pick up your pup, or to get him/her shipped to you. Also, if you can, don't let price of the pup be much of a factor, either. Money spent getting a well-bred, pup from healthy hunting lines will return itself many times over in unnecessary vet bills, training frustration, and time.

If you can personally watch the pup's parents work, and meet personally with the breeder, so much the better. However, for breeders half a country away, you will have to depend upon references and research to gain information about good lines. Learn about dogs in the pedigree. Google is your friend - put in the kennel name of the ancestors of a pup you have your eye on, and see what comes up. You will be amazed at all the interconnections among good breeders, and the successes their dogs show.

Look for field trial champions or NAVHDA UT certifications in numbers on the pedigrees. Call references.

You are not picking the pup in the litter as much as you are picking the breeder and the pup's ancestors.

i agree with you 99%.other 1% is this,LET BREEDER KNOW WHAT YOU WILL USE YOUR DOG FOR .no use in a independent type puppy going to home that is going to not hunt dog and vice vrs.not saying to let him PICK puppy but i feel you should LISTEN to why he would want you taking a certain puppy.

this is very important for all puppys that they go to home that will hunt them or make house dog out of them .

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 pm

mxdad777 wrote:This might sound a little silly, but if you want a good bird dog, you have to work for it (or pay some one to do the work for you). I can't tell you how many guys I know that have spent big bucks on a pup only to turn them loose in the back yard and never do anything with them except maybe play a little fetch. Then comes hunting season and they load up the dog and expect them to be the best hunting dog in the world. If you want a good bird dog, birds, birds, birds, birds and more birds. Along with some good training. I'm a firm believer in birds and training. Give me a back yard breeder pup and I'll send it off to a reputable trainer for 6 months and I'll put it up against the best pup in the world that has had zero training. Which one do you think will be the better bird dog? So yes, pick a pup from a proven reputable breeder and you are well on your way to having a great hunting partner. Just don't forget to do your part too.

problem with backyard breeder is he has no way of knowing HEALTH or TEMPERMANT of puppy.46 yrs raising and buying puppys,i seen it all.
down road you can get dog that will BITE or HAVE BAD HEALTH problems.
it will most likely cost you a heck more on vet bills.

as for hunting,YOU ARE RIGHT.i can take a biting dog and make great hunter out of him/her,I have done it.
but when your hunting and he bites your buddy trying to pet him,thats not so nice.
that is whaqt you usually get TODAY if you dont get right dog and from a good breeder that has looked for these things in their pups.

my town is FULL of labs with bad hips and biting etc.all were from breeders that just bred 2 dogs without history of defects .

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:12 pm

There are many definitions for the term "back yard breeder". Depends on who you are talking to. A back yard breeder is not necessarily someone who grabs up any two dogs that happen to be available to breed.

I have been breeding one to three litters per year for over 40 years. I have spent a fortune checking hips, ect, and have culled pups without mercy. I have done it all in the back yard.

By the same token it would be unfair to label a professional breeder as a "puppy mill" just because they happen to breed a lot of litters.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:41 pm

you are right BUT i have yet to find anyone here in pa that raises dogs known as BACKYARD BREEDER that has not put out good and bad dogs.
those type of people DONT check on if puppy had a defect and STOP their breeding.
they find a neighbors male and their female and have pups.

not saying that a REPETABLE breeder did not have defects BUT they screen them out ,they dont continue to breed and they check up on puppies over years, they want to know.
most BB dont follow up or stop it.

thats the difference.yes, you can get great puppy from them too.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:18 pm

My new pup was just born a few days ago. I have second pic of the females. The litter had 4 females and three males. My problem is my pup is in Texas and I am in Idaho so I am going to have to go on the breeders recommendation. I am commited to the training and the breeding looks good on paper. I need to find a good program as far as training.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Waterdogs1 wrote:My new pup was just born a few days ago. I have second pic of the females. The litter had 4 females and three males. My problem is my pup is in Texas and I am in Idaho so I am going to have to go on the breeders recommendation. I am commited to the training and the breeding looks good on paper. I need to find a good program as far as training.
i had pick of 20 labs in 2 litters and 1 i got BITES.i called 15 of the other puppy owners and not 1 had puppy that bit.
1 was left over that DID BITE.
this was from good breeder here in pa.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

sproulman wrote:
Waterdogs1 wrote:My new pup was just born a few days ago. I have second pic of the females. The litter had 4 females and three males. My problem is my pup is in Texas and I am in Idaho so I am going to have to go on the breeders recommendation. I am commited to the training and the breeding looks good on paper. I need to find a good program as far as training.
i had pick of 20 labs in 2 litters and 1 i got BITES.i called 15 of the other puppy owners and not 1 had puppy that bit.
What did you to correct the pup from biting?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Delmar said pick one from the best litter you can find from the best breeder. He always took the leftover pups. National champs they were some 3 time. Read his book, he is attributed to getting the britt where it is today. And it is a good read.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:29 pm

sproulman wrote:
No matter how good the breeder is , they can't guarantee a dog won't act like a dog. How the owner trains the dog is a BIG factor in how the dog turns out.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:46 pm

[quote="sproulman"][quote]you are right BUT i have yet to find anyone here in pa that raises dogs known as BACKYARD BREEDER that has not put out good and bad dogs.
those type of people DONT check on if puppy had a defect and STOP their breeding.
they find a neighbors male and their female and have pups[quote]

I would like to hear your definition of back yard breeder. I have dealt with plenty of professional con men who operate under the guise of reputable breeders.We pick every buyers puppy based on what they tell us they want some don't know we are picking. Hope they don't read this

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:04 pm

I don't like the term "back yard breeders". There are plenty of people out there that are knowledgeable, do their home work, do hip x-rays, etc. and make some pretty nice breedings in their back yard. I have one now from what some may term a back yard breeder and he knows what he is doing.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Put a treat deep in your pocket and pick the one that goes for it the hardest.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Getting a good pup is easy. If you know a little about bloodlines, have a fairly good eye for dog flesh, and you have a few pups to pick from.
Getting an exceptional pup takes research, connections, and luck!

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:06 pm

sproulman wrote:

i agree with you 99%.other 1% is this,LET BREEDER KNOW WHAT YOU WILL USE YOUR DOG FOR .no use in a independent type puppy going to home that is going to not hunt dog and vice vrs.not saying to let him PICK puppy but i feel you should LISTEN to why he would want you taking a certain puppy.

this is very important for all puppys that they go to home that will hunt them or make house dog out of them .[/quote]

I agree with this the most. Also if buyers would let me know exactly what they want and gave me an extra month with the litter i could give them exactly what they ask for. There are variables from pup to pup no matter what. And 8 weeks is too early for me to be sure.
I still bet my money on it and offer money back for any reason. none have yet to come back for a refund. I did have to train an owner how to work with a dog though.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:08 pm

birddogger wrote:I don't like the term "back yard breeders". There are plenty of people out there that are knowledgeable, do their home work, do hip x-rays, etc. and make some pretty nice breedings in their back yard. I have one now from what some may term a back yard breeder and he knows what he is doing.

Charlie

When I think of what the term maybe we should actually be called a TUB puppy = The Uninformed Breeder puppy but I do not view a BYB by the location two dogs were allowed to do what comes natural.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:34 pm

My philosophy is only buy puppies from people you know and trust.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm

I have learned over the years most problems with well bred retrievers are man made. People do not like to hear that but it is so true. Not all are going to be field champions or master hunters but I have yet to have one out of good breeding that didn't make a good hunting dog. The one aspect I can control is how I bring my puppy up raise it love it and train. I have some to learn about pointing dog which is going to be fun I hope. I am looking forward to it.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

cptn

Post by cptn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 am

I am currently waiting to take home a Brittany puppy myself! :D

My breeder has been breeding quality show/field Brittanys for 35+ years, and I asked her the same question.

She told me that her litters, like most, if not all litters, are wild cards, but the wild cards are almost always positive. As the breeder, she knows the most about the differing dispositions, but the little nuances are so insignificant that it'd be pointless to decide based on those. Like everyone else has said, it is really on based on color/pattern and sex preference.

Thankfully, most puppies are like sponges, especially ones that have been bred by a good breeder and a great sire and dam. You can mold them and teach them to be the best dog for you!

Good luck!
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"