Quail Repopulation

ScoutB

Quail Repopulation

Post by ScoutB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Has anyone had any success repopulating quail in areas where wild birds are scarse? There used to be a lot of wild bird coveys back in the day but changes in agg practices and protected preditors decimated the population in the Carolinas. My buddy has a farm and he has created some good habitat and is planting food plots. If we released a bunch of pen raised birds and could keep the preditors off them somehow do you think they might repopulate or at least make it a season? How do the early season release preserves make it work?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Quail Repopulation

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 pm

It won't work.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:41 pm

It works, There is no simple answer to why they disappeared and no simple answer to can then be brought back.

If you control enough land and its all suitable for the birds they will respond, they have been restocked here on several properties, by the state. Is it a complete success, No, are there now some birds where there were none for 20 years, Yep.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:38 pm

It isn't an overnight process and it takes a TON of work and money. But I have heard some success stories. Do plentynof thorough research and talk to many knowledgeable people before you attempt it. It may take a few tries to get it done right.

ScoutB

Post by ScoutB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm

As far as a ton of work and money goes, is it for food plots and cover? If you can buy flight conditioned birds for $3.50 then you can get 100 birds for the same price as a preserve hunt with 20 released birds. If you let 80 birds go free in an area with food, water and cover maybe 5 times throughout the season could it be worth while?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Even one covey isn't going to live on 100 acres, it takes near 1000 being manged properly, and the more the better. The piece of state land here that is closed to quail hunting and was transplanted with wild birds is only partially successful and some would question that, and its nearly 7000 acres of beautiful looking habitat.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:17 pm

I was speaking with a fellow on Saturday night who releases 1000 birds every year. He said he loses fully 80% to predators. He lives in Southern Alabama.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:41 pm

It doesn't work well - any biologist will tell you that if you are trying to restore quail with pen raised bird populations, you are fighting a loosing battle. It is totally illegal here in MO to do that for good reasons. Recent research from Mississippi State shows genetic differences in wild bobwhites and pen reared birds. Most research on releasing pen reared quail show a life expectancy of less than 30 days. The ones that make it long enough to breed are too stupid to care for chicks. On the plus side, wild birds will travel great distances to populate new habitat that is appropriate. Most of the problem stems from the fact that the habitat is just not good enough to provide for the bobwhite's needs throughout the year.

Here is some data (I cut off 2 pages of further data of other studies showing the same stuff):

Recent Literature on Survival
of Pen-reared Game Birds Released into the Wild

Kansas (2009-2011) Evaluating the SURROGATOR® to increase Ring-necked Pheasant abundance and enhance hunting. Released chicks had an overall survival rate of 0.08 ± 0.06 (n = 58) over 12 weeks, with most mortalities occurring in first few weeks after release. Pheasant chicks had a high mortality rate following release, especially during the first 2 weeks post-release. This initial high mortality rate is similar to other studies involving released birds where post release mortality ranged from approximately 40%–85% in the first 2 weeks after release (Hessler et al. 1970, Brittas et al. 1992, Musil and Connelly 2009). It is also similar to a smaller scale study of surrogator-reared pheasant conducted in Nebraska, where the estimated survival rate over 14 weeks was 12%, with most of the mortalities taking place in the first 2 weeks after release (J. J.Lusk, Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, unpublished report). This sharp decline in survival was observed in all 3 releases, but was most pronounced in July and September releases. After the first 2 weeks, the June release continued to have better survival over the 12-week tracking period than the latter 2 releases.

Texas (2009-10) Evaluating the use of Surrogators for raising Northern Bobwhites. Dean Ransom, Jr., Research Scientist, Rolling Plains Quail Research Ranch. The Surrogator is a technique for raising 1-day old bobwhite chicks to 5 weeks of age in a protective enclosed brooder box containing food, water, and a heat source. Bobwhite chicks are placed in the Surrogator at 1-day of age and released as a group at 5 weeks of age. The manufacturer claims as high degree of satisfaction among its customers, and provides substantial personal testimony as to its effectiveness. However, recent research in Georgia and Kentucky evaluating the success of these units in establishing bobwhite populations has provided data indicating that post-release survival is poor, and the return of banded surrogated quail to the hunter’s bag was also poor; similar results have been reported from Nebraska for pheasants. In 2009, RPQRR began a study to determine post-release survival of Surrogated bobwhites at two sites in Texas (Palo Pinto County and Clay County). We radio-tagged and leg banded approximately 80 5-week old chicks at the Palo Pinto site and approximately 40 chicks at the Clay County site. Most of the tagged birds were dead or lost by the second week post release. In 2010, we tagged 27 birds at a third site in Palo Pinto County, and found similar results, that being extremely high mortality of tagged birds within 2 weeks post-release. Visual observations of bobwhites without transmitters suggest that similar mortality was occurring. Based on our results to date, landowners utilizing Surrogators to enhance the existing bobwhite population or re-establishing populations in unoccupied ranges should expect poor survival and low success in achieving their goals. www.quailresearch.org

Idaho (2009). Compared vital rates of two different (pen-reared and wild) ring-necked pheasant stocks and assessed effects of predator control on these pheasants released into current range. Wild (31 males and 112 females) and pen-reared (230 males and 1,059 females) ring-necked pheasants were released in spring into two areas in southern Idaho during 2000–2001 to augment low resident populations. Wild female survival from 1 March-1 October was significantly greater than that of pen-reared females in both 2000 (40% vs 4%) and 2001 (43% vs 8%). During 2001, predators were removed within our study areas. Survival did not increase for either stock of female pheasants after predator removal. Predator control did not increase the number of hens surviving to reach the nesting season (1 May), nesting rate or nest success. Wild female pheasants were seven times more likely to survive translocation to 1 October, ten times more likely to survive to the nesting season, eight times more productive, and one-third as expensive per egg hatched than pen-reared females. Low survival, poor productivity and higher costs of spring-released pen-reared female pheasants strongly suggest that this is an inappropriate management tool for increasing pheasant numbers (Wildl. Biol. 15:80-88).

Nebraska (2008). The Surrogator™ captive propagation system is purported to significantly increase populations of northern bobwhite and ring-necked pheasants. The units provide food, water, heat, and shelter for chicks until they are released. Releasing pheasant chicks at 4-5 weeks and limiting contact with humans while they are in the Surrogator unit is purported to allow the chicks to retain the survival instincts of wild birds. We evaluated the efficacy of the Surrogator system by evaluating the survival and return-to-bag of pheasant chicks raised in the units placed on 2 shooting preserves and 2 public wildlife areas. Survival from release until the start of the pheasant hunting season was low (12%) and annual survival was less than 1%. Of the 170 pheasant chicks placed in the unit at the beginning of the study, 6 (3.5%) were returned to bag (NE Game & Parks Special Report).

Georgia (2005). Private managed hunting plantation. A total of 1,641 five-week-old wing-tagged pen-reared bobwhites were released using the Surrogate Propagation™ system during June, August and September; and 1,000 12-16 week old leg-banded bobwhites were “dump released” during November. Birds were liberated into intensively managed pine savanna habitat that included supplemental feeding and predator control. A total of 93 birds were harvested of which only 13 were wing banded Surrogator birds. In this study the Surrogate Propagation™ release system alone did not result in the establishment of a sufficient number of “coveys” to meet the shooting objectives of the landowner. In fact, when the land manager conducted an informal bird dog census during early November, after the Surrogate Propagation™ releases, only five “coveys” were located. At that point the decision was made by the landowner prior to hunting to supplement the population with more dump-released birds than originally planned (Georgia DNR Special Study).

Kentucky (2007-2009). Study conducted by the Kentucky Department of Wildlife. In 2007, 294 birds were released using the Surrogate Propagation™ system at a research farm. The farm was hunted hard during the 2008-09 season, with no birds flushed or harvested. In 2009, KDW released 277 birds at the same site. Covey call counts were conducted on the property during October; with 1 covey detected. In mid-November, 5 hunters using 5 dogs hunted 2 hours with no birds flushed or harvested. At a second release site where no hunting was allowed, no birds were detected during Oct covey call counts, flush counts, or in call back pens.

South Dakota (1990-92). Released 44 wild and 159 pen-reared hens on public lands with excellent habitat during April to augment natural reproduction. Hens were followed for 181 days, through the nesting season, by radio telemetry. Only 8% of pen-reared hens survived the nesting season verses 55% of the wild hens. Predation accounted for 90% of pen-reared hen losses. Pen-reared hens contributed little to nesting, because few lived long enough to hatch a nest. On average 100 wild hens produced 34 broods, 100 pen reared hens produced 3 broods (J. Wildl. Manage. 58:501-6).

England (1982-85). Large releases of pen-reared hens in the fall of each year showed that pen-reared hens were 3x more vulnerable to predation than wild hens, and that wild hens were 4x more productive then pen-reared hens (J. Wildl. Manage. 52:446-450).

Iowa (1977-79). Released 2,510 hens on 3 study areas to increase populations. Subsequent analysis by winter flush, roadside, and crowing counts showed no increase in local populations. Populations on the 3 study areas fluctuated similar to populations on nearby areas that received no stocking (IA P-R Comp. Rpt. 16pp).

Oregon (1972-73). Released 335 pen-reared hens on public land in early April. Nearly all had disappeared within 40-50 days of release. Only 17 known young were produced from 335 pen-reared hens released. Wild hens (61) on the area produced 378 young during the same time period (Northwest Sci. 50:222-230).

Nevada (1972-73). Released 60 birds in April to augment natural reproduction followed by radio telemetry for 80 days. Recorded 63% mortality, 30% which occurred in the week following release. Most of the mortality 63% was due to predators. None of the hens successfully hatched a nest.

Minnesota (1967). Released 74 hens and cocks in August and followed movements for 28 days by radio telemetry. Sixty birds or 81% died by day 28. Mortality was mostly predation (55%) (J. Wildl. Manage. 34:267-274).

Illinois (1983-85). Wild bobwhite quail were shown by electorphoresis of blood samples to have greater genetic variability than game farm stock. The lower genetic variability among game farm birds is likely related to inbreeding and make-up of the founding game farm stock. Low survival and poor fitness of game farm quail may be partially attributed to the loss of genetic diversity.

Tennessee (2002-03) Genetic assessment of pen-reared Northern Bobwhite releases on Ames Plantation
K. O. Evans, M. D. Smith, L. W. Burger Jr., R. Chambers, and A. E. Houston, and R. Carlisle. In response to low encounter rates with wild northern bobwhites (Colinus virginianus; hereafter, bobwhites) during bird dog field trials at Ames Plantation in Tennessee, a large-scale release program of pen-reared bobwhites was implemented in the fall of 2002. To evaluate potential genetic effects of pen-reared releases on wild populations, we monitored survival of pen-reared and wild bobwhites from fall release of pen-reared bobwhites through the breeding season. We used genotypes from 6 polymorphic microsatellite loci to measure genetic diversity and conduct population assignment tests. Genetic diversity, number of alleles, and allelic richness were greatest in the wild, intermediate in the F1 generation, and lowest in the pen-reared populations. In some years, some pen-reared birds will survive to the breeding season and successfully reproduce with wild birds. Given that pen-reared and pen-reared x wild birds have reduced genetic variability relative to locally adapted wild birds, large-scale releases of pen-reared bobwhites may result in negative impacts on the genetic integrity of resident wild populations.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 pm

I have heard it is maybe possible but I suspect that replanting in diferent areas where it worked was done with wild traped birds. It was wild trapped pheasants that got them going in this country. The state of Oregon used to release pheasant's. I was told there's 90% mortality within one week. I've had bob white's in an outside pen that made beautiful new's and laid lots of egg's but they wouldn't set them. I've had chukars do the same thing. So even if you got some to survive, they still won't set the eggs! I wish I had a lot of property. I'd like to put a bunch in a johnny house and leave them alone except for giving food and water and see if over a long term some could actually make it and reproduce.

A number of years ago the state tried planting Redlegs near here. Turned them loose and never seen any again. Pen raised birds. There have been stories of bob white's making it on Sauvies Island from left over trial birds. Stories but I've never see any out there. Years ago I spent a lot of time out there and nada!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ScoutB

Post by ScoutB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:29 pm

I guess it's probably a function of pen raised birds not knowing how to live in the wild. Being pen raised and fed without them having to learn how to survive in the wild wouldn't help. Also not recognizing predators is probably a big problem. That's why you have to kick them to make them fly and I know that. From the last few post it seems like this is the only bird hunting we will ever know again. I did not know the mortality of released birds that weren't shot was so high. I have hunted one place that has wild and early release birds that fly really well. That club is very exclusive, open checkbook and they have around 20,000 acres under their control. I have no idea how many birds they must release a year. It seems like bird hunting will become like a trap range. Once you push the button the bird will fly. Too bad they haven't had the success bringing back the population as wild turkeys. They are now like crows outside the season.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Good point on turkeys. The habitat in most parts of the US now favors turkeys - more dense grasses, larger farms, more timber, less open grasslands with good bare ground. Large fields instead of small fields, grown up fencerows instead of shrubby edges. It's more about the habitat than anything else. It's hard not to chuckle a bit when someone says "nothing has changed on the farm since my Grandpa's day." You take a look at aerial photos from the 1960's and I'll bet you'll see some significant changes in the landscape scale and also in the species composition of your plant community.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Even one covey isn't going to live on 100 acres, it takes near 1000 being manged properly, and the more the better. The piece of state land here that is closed to quail hunting and was transplanted with wild birds is only partially successful and some would question that, and its nearly 7000 acres of beautiful looking habitat.
I think if you check back to when you had quail you will find that 100 acres is more than enough for a covey in good quail country. Since a 1000 acres is about 1mile by 1 1/2 mile that would be awfully thin. We used to find 2 or 3 coveys on a hundred acres in the good years quite often but then there would be some areas where there weren't any.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Even one covey isn't going to live on 100 acres, it takes near 1000 being manged properly, and the more the better. The piece of state land here that is closed to quail hunting and was transplanted with wild birds is only partially successful and some would question that, and its nearly 7000 acres of beautiful looking habitat.
I think if you check back to when you had quail you will find that 100 acres is more than enough for a covey in good quail country. Since a 1000 acres is about 1mile by 1 1/2 mile that would be awfully thin. We used to find 2 or 3 coveys on a hundred acres in the good years quite often but then there would be some areas where there weren't any.

Ezzy
I used to put up 4 coveys in my grandparents back 60 acre field....but then it was surrounded by 1000's of acres of other farms that were suitable habitat. Back in the day before roundup.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 am

Do a google search, there are articles out there outline the methods used to repopulate. We did it on my Dads farm. takes a bit of work but it can be done. Predators are the key and wit hthe overpopulation of hawks and such makes it very hard to do.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

We tried it for several years and finally gave up. We used a half section of land and strictly followed the advice of a wildlife biologist. We spent thousands of dollars in the process. We released birds in September and would lose a third within the first two weeks. Two months later approximately another third would be gone. The remaining third would be pretty wild at that point and would usually still be around for Christmas holiday hunts. When hawks were present those % went down considerably.

I have seen evidence that a very small % would actually nest. I have seen hens with little ones two different times, however I have never seen evidence that those little ones survived. After seeing them one time walking behind the hen they disappeared and were never seen again.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:31 pm

Roosters mom, can you email or post the full citations for the studies? I very much like to look that up and learn more. :D