basic hunt test info

isonychia

basic hunt test info

Post by isonychia » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm

I have been thinking about hunt testing my dog, but only for fun and on a very limited budget. I was going to start by maybe just attending one or two events a year somewhere close by. What organizations run the hunt tests? Is it just the AKC? I tried looking up info on AKC's website but it could not be less helpful. Does anyone know of a resource for finding events, rules, cost, etc?

Debf

Re: basic hunt test info

Post by Debf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:07 pm

The AKC website is terrible...however, to find hunt tests, go to:

1.) www.akc.org
2) select the "Events" tab at the top of the Home page.
3)Then select "Events and Awards" search.
4)Then you'll see a page full of stuff that probably doesn't make any sense but, it will have tabs across the top - select 'Event Search' (yes, you have already done this twice but, there is little logic to the AKC website)
5)Now..under 'Competition Type' dropdown menu select 'Hunt tests' and on the map, click on the state(s) you want info for ---then click on the "SEARCH" button. You should get a list of hunting tests in the state (or states) you have chosen. Unfortunately it doesn't let you choose only pointing dog hunt tests so you'll have to wade through the list to find events put on by pointing dog clubs.
6) If you look at the list for Colorado the first pointing dog hunt test in 2012 is the Viszla club - click on the club name. Now you should be at a page that let's you know the entry fees and who to contact if you wish to enter. The "Closing Date" is the date that the event secretary needs to have your entry form & fees if you wish to run in the test.

Hope that helps.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Amazing... thanks for the help!

Now I just need to figure out the difference between junior and senior hunts and how long my akc registration will take (I'm a year past so have to pay extra :oops: )

Debf

Post by Debf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:44 pm

There is a big difference between Junior and Senior but, there a number of knowledgeable AKC hunt test participants & judges on this site - I'll let them explain that to you. I've been the hunt test secretary for many years but, never ran a dog. However, I might run our DD in SH or MH this year. Good luck & have fun.

Deb

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:01 am

AKC.ORG CLICK events on upper left , click performance events, pointing breeds hunting tests, third down on left. click rules and regulations. about half way down on red list you will find pointing breeds hunting test rules. click that you can copy the whole rule book on pdf
Very simple works great. You can also search events calender in your area.
I think as long as your dog has a litter registration number, you can enter with that. not sure.
Good Luck and have fun J

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Junior hunter - no manners, just point a bird for 3 seconds... You flush or dog rips it out. Blank the bird. Done.

Senior hunter dog has to be steady until the shot. Once you blank or the gunners shoot the dog can break and grab the bird. Dog has to retrieve within one step (i think). Dog also has to establish a back on its bracemate and can be cautioned (i think) then you can and probably be asked to collar your dog.

Easy stuff:) until you find out what can go wrong will go wrong. Either way its good to get out and meet new people. If it weren't for hunt tests I would have never met an angry man who got me to field trial my dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Order up the booklet.

Any dog that is 6 months of age can run in either Junior, Senior or Master stakes ( hunt tests for pointing breeds).

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RHTPNT.pdf
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm

yes. Contact the publisher (NOT Amazon) regarding this book.

http://www.amazon.com/QUALIFY-Successfu ... 0964767147

Attwater Publishing is the publisher of QUALIFY! A Guide to Successful Handling in AKC Pointing Breed Hunting Tests by Mark Powell, available for $21.90 including first class shipping and handling 1-800-513-3772.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:09 pm

I hope you have better luck than I have. I have emailed the organizer of a HT in Aug. to find out what I need to do to get the pup registered twice and have gotten no response. The NSTRA folks have been amazing though. That alone may have made up my mind for me what types of trials I'm going to participate in.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Pm me and ill give you my number. I'll help you out.

Debf

Post by Debf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 pm

I hope you have better luck than I have. I have emailed the organizer of a HT in Aug. to find out what I need to do to get the pup registered twice and have gotten no response. The NSTRA folks have been amazing though. That alone may have made up my mind for me what types of trials I'm going to participate in.
Sorry you had problems but, if your dog is registered with FDSB or NAVHDA it's really easy to register with the AKC. Below is the link the AKC open registration page. At the bottom of the page (last line of text) is a link that will open up the registration application. The AKC is pretty quick in processing your form. You can run in a test before the paperwork is completed but, I believe, there is a limited amount of time to complete your registration if you want to receive credit for a pass.

http://www.akc.org/reg/open_registration.cfm

If you have completely moved on - good luck & have fun running in NSTRA, they're a great group also.

Deb

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:29 pm

30 days after a placement or pass....

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Gertie you need to understand that club secretarys are volunteers. And believe it or not there are lots of people that are not very computer literat!! I know the secretary of our clubs field trials barely knows how to turn on a computer. Also if the hunt test isn't until August you have a TON of time. Most test and trials close a week or 5 days before the event!
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Gertie wrote:I hope you have better luck than I have. I have emailed the organizer of a HT in Aug. to find out what I need to do to get the pup registered twice and have gotten no response. The NSTRA folks have been amazing though. That alone may have made up my mind for me what types of trials I'm going to participate in.
I remember calling the AKC chapter in Asheville, NC about trainers for bird dogs... got a call back about 8-10 months later that their volunteer who handled phone calls and messages didn't do any "volunteering" and thats why they got back to me with such a delay.

I'm going to look into NSTRA as well, and really, what ever events I can get to I'll probably do. I live in retriever world here in Durango it seems like. Lots of retriever hunt tests but the closest pointer HT looks like its about 7 hours away.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks for all the information folks. Very helpful. I'll probably go ahead and persue the HT in Aug. Definitely going to do the NSTRA thing too. Just looks like too much fun to not give it a shot.

Isonychia, sorry about hi-jacking your post. Regarding the abundance of retriever trials though, I've noticed the same thing around here. I guess if you look on the bright side, that means that there are a lot more water fowl hunters and lots fewer upland hunters which in turn means lots more wide-open spaces free of knuckle heads for us come hunting season :mrgreen:
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:43 am

I think you'll find that getting information from any organization can be tough these days. We are all busy. So, some times it is hard to be patient.

I found that just showing up to an event is a good way to learn and meet people. Volunteer to plant birds or do something else helpful. It's a great way to learn too. I know I am lucky and have several hunt test grounds within a few hours of my house. AKC Hunt Test people on a whole are pretty good folks and will be happy to help you and answer questions. Event Secretaries are NOT a good place to start in my opinion.

Just sayin.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:I think you'll find that getting information from any organization can be tough these days. We are all busy. So, some times it is hard to be patient.

I found that just showing up to an event is a good way to learn and meet people. Volunteer to plant birds or do something else helpful. It's a great way to learn too. I know I am lucky and have several hunt test grounds within a few hours of my house. AKC Hunt Test people on a whole are pretty good folks and will be happy to help you and answer questions. Event Secretaries are NOT a good place to start in my opinion.

Just sayin.
Really? Who do you think organizes & runs the HTs? THE EVENT SECRETARY and the CHAIRPERSON. They are the ones who make sure premiums are sent out, birds get planted, gunners & judges (and horses) are there, food & refreshments are provided, etc., etc., etc.

Been there, done that... am Sec at one this weekend, AAMOF. And I would KILL to have some other people come help!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Yeah Really. Most event secretaries I know are the paper pushers. MOST. Not all.

You have no idea how many of these I have practically done by myself, and throw in about as many FT's. If you want event specific information, then yeah a secretary is a place to start.

If you want to know about AKC Hunt tests in general, not the best place to start. Sorry if you disagree.

Around here the best way to learn is to GO TO ONE. Meet some great people, learn firsthand and find some training partners. You CAN't do that over the phone.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:Yeah Really. Most event secretaries I know are the paper pushers. MOST. Not all.

You have no idea how many of these I have practically done by myself, and throw in about as many FT's. If you want event specific information, then yeah a secretary is a place to start.

If you want to know about AKC Hunt tests in general, not the best place to start. Sorry if you disagree.

Around here the best way to learn is to GO TO ONE. Meet some great people, learn firsthand and find some training partners. You CAN't do that over the phone.
Agree whole heartedly. The secretary has more to do than they can get done without trying to answer questions about how everything functions the dqay of th test.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I agree that people are busy, still the AKC website is pretty unorganized. If you have a good enough website, people shouldn't have to contact you for the most basic information. As far as just showing up goes... thats pretty tough at 7 hrs away.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:44 am

The AKC Website sucks. But for show information they have is awesome, no? :roll: :roll:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 am

If you want to find the information in anything all you have to do is look for it. If you want specifics on how the dog is judged they have a nifty little box at the top of the AKC website to search... "Pointing breed until test rules" would be what I put in my first time about 16 months ago.... The I read the thing on mg phone cover-cover about two times. Trained and ran my dog. Only test I failed was 1 or 2 MH. Other than that just got to roll with it and know you will mess up more than your dog.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Buckeye_V wrote:Yeah Really. Most event secretaries I know are the paper pushers. MOST. Not all.

Agree whole heartedly. The secretary has more to do than they can get done without trying to answer questions about how everything functions the dqay of th test.

Ezzy
Frankly, if the Secretary &/Chairperson are "too busy" to interact with people at the HT, then they are doing their club & event a disservice. I can't tell you how many people attended our event this past weekend who were there to:

- find out what it was all about
- find out about the type of dogs that were there
- interact with the people & dogs at the event

Yes, we are there to run the HT. But the HT is all about people and their dogs... about participation. If you lose sight of that then you may as well not run it at all.

Getting off my soapbox now,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm

We always have a greeting committee that interacts with the people wanting to talk and ask questions so those people get the answers they want and the secretary can still yo his/her work. Makes for a much better situation for the visiters that are there to learn. And the Sec. and Chairperson are able to take care of their duties and not perform a dis-service to the club or the visiters.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:52 am

Our secretary knows how to fill out the paperwork and submit it to AKC. They are not the most knowledgable often times and frankly have no desire to answer all of those questions but have no problems giving them to someone who can and does like to do it.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised if that person does not know everything there is to know about a hunt test. Its STILL not the place I would go to for information.

Anyone who has ever been toa Hunt Test where I work gets all of their questions answered and then some if they want it. Just not by the secretary. Again, not their job.

Off my soapbox. :roll: