AKC Handling vs AF Handling

V-John

AKC Handling vs AF Handling

Post by V-John » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 pm

What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel like AKC wants folks to "follow the yellow brick road" or do you feel like the AF allows more leeway? Vice versa? In HB stakes or even walking stakes? Do you think that the AKC wants a tighter handling dog as opposed to the AF? Or vice versa? Or is it judges preference? Or do you think that they are essentially the same?
And this isn't a "one venue is better then the other" arguement, just wanted your thoughts....

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: AKC Handling vs AF Handling

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:51 pm

I loathe handling under an akc judge that interprets and enforces the rules too strictly. I prefer a judge that sets boundaries based on the situation. In an aa stake where there are ridges, valleys, rocks etc...for a dog to bury under it is ridiculous for a judge to grouse about a guy riding 60/80/100 yards to look over a consarned hill.

More experienced judges that are confident and comfortable with the position will allow reasonable leeway. They will not necessarily follow you to and fro, and if you are too erratic it speaks to the dogs performance and they will judge it as such, but it sure does take some fun out of it when you have a judge whose thong is on backwards.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 pm

AKC wants folks to "follow the yellow brick road" or do you feel like the AF allows more leeway?
This is the general feeling. That said, in the AKC world there is a huge variance on what judges will allow. Some judges especially in GD stakes want you to say on the prescribed path and your dog better handle accordingly. Other judges are more open to active handling allowing you to do what is needed to show you dog the best.

I usually will handle how I feel i need to as to show my dog the best. If that isnt what a judge a likes, I will usually heed their instructions to "stay on course".

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm

With either venue it depends on the judges. I have heard some strange thoughts from judges. How about " his find was not on the course" :(

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Brittguy wrote:With either venue it depends on the judges. I have heard some strange thoughts from judges. How about " his find was not on the course" :(
Sounds like one of those Brit Club sponsored AKC events. :P
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:41 pm

BigShooter wrote:
Brittguy wrote:With either venue it depends on the judges. I have heard some strange thoughts from judges. How about " his find was not on the course" :(
Sounds like one of those Brit Club sponsored AKC events. :P
Yep us brittany folks are just all idiots! I'm sure you're right!
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Rob,

Didn't know U were so thin skinned. Never said all Brit Club events were only judged by Brit owners. Geesh. :roll: I did however attend a Brit club sponsored event where a couple of handlers let me know in advance Brits always took the blue ribbons. I'm sure they were stretching the truth a bit and likely the same comments have been made at one time or another about nearly every breeds' club sponsored event. There are good folks at nearly every event sponsored by various breed clubs. However, if you always want to think the worst about posts that are made ... be my guest. U probably don't even remember I used to own Brits. :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it