Turkey Hunting - Wisconsin

Brittlver

Turkey Hunting - Wisconsin

Post by Brittlver » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 pm

So Turkey season is coming up in about a month. I am really really hoping to get my wife on one this year. Unfortuntely we are only able to hunt public land and now living 2 hrs from where we used to hunt I do not know where to go any more. Anyone know of any good public land in SE Wisconsin that has alot of turkeys on it. I know my wife would love to get one so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jesse

jeff gruennert

Re: Turkey Hunting - Wisconsin

Post by jeff gruennert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:22 pm

dont' turkey hunt myself but my dad goes and shot one last year down on the public land by eagle part of the kettle moraine state forest

jeff gruennert

Post by jeff gruennert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:27 pm

sorry just noticed you were from sun prairie try goose island between hwy 73 and lake mills, waterloo has some nice public don't know were it is exactly

the_possum

Post by the_possum » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 am

i wouldn't dismiss the ability to hunt private land. i'm from wisconsin (although a bit further north) and i've yet to meet a farmer that won't gladly let you shoot every turkey you can find. they're murder on the crops; especially when they're planting so they're more than eager to have someone help thin them out.

on more than one occasion i've had farmers tell me to shoot everyone i see and they'll take care of it. never took them up on that of course but the option was there. :wink:

snag a county plat book, take a drive around and do some friendly knocking on doors. just make sure you take a glance at the barn as you're driving by so you don't accidently roll-up with a john deere hat when that barn is packed full of allis chalmers.