Average size of a GSP at 6 months?

wberry85

Average size of a GSP at 6 months?

Post by wberry85 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 pm

I am thinking my GSP is a little on the small side. About how much should a GSP weigh at 6 months? Not overly concerned just curious... He is on Diamond EA and has been for about 2 months but I am wondering if I need to feed him puppy food to stimulate more growth?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Average size of a GSP at 5 months?

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 pm

You're not going to affect the ultimate size of your pup with food. About the only thing you can influence is how fast they put on weight & get to their genetically pre-determined size. You don't want a young dog to be over-weight - that's not a good thing. What will be, will be. There are some great smaller shorthairs. Seems like they really start growing from about six months to nine or ten months. From one of my litters I have the smallest female at about 44 pounds & the largest male, several inches taller and about 54 pounds. Both stay skinny almost no matter what I feed them. If I give them extra food they don't eat it anyway.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Average size of a GSP at 6 months?

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 pm

That's a really subjective question. I have a male that is 45 pounds tops and his son who is sixty at 15 months. The sister to that pup is maybe 40 pounds. How big the dog is at six months is dependent on his genetics, not his food. Most male shorthairs don't fill out completely until three years old, although they have their frame growth at a year.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:38 am

Good to know. This is the first dog I have not fed a "puppy" branded food and I wanted to make sure nothing bad was going on. He was definitely the alpha of his litter and much bigger than his litter mates so I am thinking he is going to be a hoss. I think he looks small to me bc I cant wait for him to grow up.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 am

wberry85 wrote:I am thinking my GSP is a little on the small side. About how much should a GSP weigh at 6 months? Not overly concerned just curious... He is on Diamond EA and has been for about 2 months but I am wondering if I need to feed him puppy food to stimulate more growth?
They all grow between 6-12 months the most some dogs only really grow up and fill out upto 2 years.

Only good advice feed at least twice a day until they a year old, good puppy food, and enough exercise.

Lotsa love and lotsa team building he or she is going to be your buddy for at least 12 years