Getting a GSP this spring

trasmuson3

Getting a GSP this spring

Post by trasmuson3 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 am

From what i have experienced with GSP's is that they are very vocal. Are they more vocal than the other versatile breeds? Is it something that can be broke easily with a bark collar? I'm planning on getting a GSP this spring but two things concern me... I have heard they are very vocal, and that they are excellent escape artists. Are these things true?

TraditionsGSPs2010

Re: Getting a GSP this spring

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I think you have been lead to believe something that is no more true than stating red cars get pulled over more by the police. It depends on what you do with them. I would not worry about bark collars until I find out I have a dog that barks too much any more than I would worry about having a lawyer on retainer when you buy a red vet. I think the same can be said about them being escape artists.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Ha ha. Certain dogs in a pedigree can enhance your chances of having a vocal one...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:29 pm

trasmuson3 wrote:From what i have experienced with GSP's is that they are very vocal. Are they more vocal than the other versatile breeds? Is it something that can be broke easily with a bark collar? I'm planning on getting a GSP this spring but two things concern me... I have heard they are very vocal, and that they are excellent escape artists. Are these things true?

This could be said about certain dogs of almost any breed. There is a lot differences within the breed. Some are vocal and very good escape artists and some are quiet and easy keepers. I currently have three and only one is somewhat vocal but that is being taking care of. None of them are escape artists. You need to find out what the parents are like....Some bad habits are genetic and some are man made.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

birddogger wrote:..Some bad habits are genetic and some are man made.

Charlie
Truth. And the way man handles the genetic ones makes a difference, too.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:57 pm

GSP i see in kennels at campo,are always barking.
that is disturbing to me.
other breeds bark too but you asked what i SAW .

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Most dogs in kennels bark, they are bored. I had about ten shorthairs and pointer's here at one time and they only barked if something was wrong. Escape artist? In my experience, yes! When Duke first got here, I put him in a kennel with 6' fence. He went over the top. My old Hannah figured out how to slip her collar and if shut in the back of the pickup, could slide open the canopy window and jump out. You'll love you shorthair. They really are a blast and very smart!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:43 am

IMO barking is nothing to do with the breed when it comes to pointing dogs. I have had setters, shorthairs and pointers and some are barkers in the kennels are others aren't, same goes for escape artist. I really believe any dog will become a nuisance barker when left in the kennel for any length of time.
Last edited by Grousewing on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 am

And any dog may become an escape artist if you don't take the proper precautions.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 am

ytrnsmusen3,
It all depends on the line you purchase from, I had a DK dog who was almost completely silent and several Ryman Setters who talk all the time. Talking is not a GSP only trait, in runs in different breed lines. It can be controlled by training however, sometimes it can be a pain, especially if the dog likes to bark and talk at every little noise.
RGD/Dave

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am

I had some of the same concerns when I got my first GSP this spring and found out mine only barks when she wants to tell me something. So, usually woof... woof... means I need to poop so bring me outside to poop thank you very much! Then really isn't that vocal at all. However she will bark when someones at the door, and I actually like that. If its a stranger at the door they might think their is a vicious dog at home. :lol: My dogs a inside house dog so can't comment on the escape artist thing yet, but eventually she will spend a few hours in an outside kennel once I get it finished.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Vocal in a GSP does not mean it barks a lot.

It means they talk or sing at times to express themselves.

I think it is very charming.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm

My shorthairs seldom bark while in the kennel. I took a hose and turned it on em if the ybarked for no reason, shut em up good. Now if someone is out there they will sound off. My brothers dog will bark at the wind :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935