Hunting dogs vs Bloodlines

Francois P vd Walt

Hunting dogs vs Bloodlines

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:57 am

We all chase bloodlines, breeding better dogs with dogs competing in trials being jugded by the best running against the best. Breeding the best with the best to be the best !

Yet so little of the litters bred come to trials or compete ....

Somewhere one of the greatest dogs have been bred in history, living the real life, hunting breaking on shot making someone very happy. Just what we have bred them for companionship and a hunting buddy !
Sharing campfire stories and a sleepingbag with his master/friend.

May all the breeders remember if it wasn't for dogs we would be nowhere.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting dogs vs Bloodlines

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm

In trials, tests. Navhda and what ever else we choose to compete in we have to go by somebody elses opinion of what is the best. Who decides what a good dog is. Is this dog bred and trained to satisfy what some body else thinks a good dog should do? Also if this dog didn't happen to be in the hands of somebody who does this nobody knows.
I always think would I breed with this dog if he didn't have a title. Many times the answer is no. There are trial dogs who are great hunting dogs. Just as many or more
that aren't. Poor birds make poor dogs
The dog don't give a hoot about titles. If he's worth his food he is a whole lot happier hanging out with his people and running across the country finding birds. Well trained dogs are great . Dogs that will point, honor and retrieve naturally and are trained by what god gave them and what prairie birds teach them are much more fun.
You haven't lived until you turn 6or8 (more or less) good bird finding dogs loose on the open prairie and watch the show. They learn to honor from half a mile away it is awesome.
Breed for what you like not for what everybody tells you to like.
Jerry

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 pm

I suspect that a lot more dogs that would make great trial dogs go to hunting homes and never see a trial.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Gentlemen,
Repetitive breeding of quality blood lines to produce outstanding dogs for different jobs is the mark of a good breeder, who wants to improve his line on each breeding, no matter what the dog happens to be bred to accomplish. I would not recommend a breeder who does not work in this manner to any of my cleints for any reason. A good dog line is good because of the breeder and the pride he takes
developing his line, no matter what type dog he breeds. In our case we look for repetitive breeding of biddable quality Grouse dog stock, for the foot hunter, no matter the breed line. Our clients pick from many different kinds of dog lines, but they all have one
object in mind, they want a dog who works with them as a companion Grouse hunter, each individual picks the type of dog most suited to his hunting needs.
RGD/Dave

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:31 pm

cjhills wrote:You haven't lived until you turn 6or8 (more or less) good bird finding dogs loose on the open prairie and watch the show.

+1 on both....

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
cjhills wrote:You haven't lived until you turn 6or8 (more or less) good bird finding dogs loose on the open prairie and watch the show.

+1 on both....

cr
I always think gosh I wish Covey would stop trying to tell that I should own all age dogs...

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:42 pm

ACooper wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

+1 on both....

cr
I always think gosh I wish Covey would stop trying to tell that I should own all age dogs...
You know that would never happen.......! Some where in between is fine. :mrgreen:

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me