invisible yard fence and e collar

sniperjon

invisible yard fence and e collar

Post by sniperjon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:52 am

I've started collar training. And was thinking of getting a invisible fence for the yard. I was thinking that having both it would confuse my pup. And thoughts?

Croix

Re: invisible yard fence and e collar

Post by Croix » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 am

I put in an invisible fence for my young setter , best money I spent They will figure it out quick, shouldn't confuse him or her at all. Take it slow and keep it positive!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:16 am

IT does make it a bit tougher when you first start collar conditioning with the training collar. Underground fence is much higher stimulation than you need to train with and at first they will over react.
Give them time to figure it out and it works fine. The contain and train type collars by innotek and probably others are worthless.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:39 am

I don't think that it should be an issue if you create a routine of some sort. For example, Invisible fence collar on at all times outside, and put on while inside. When collar conditioning or doing yard work, add the e-collar outside so dog has a different association with the collars.

Or if you have a different place to do e-collar yard work and conditioning aside from your yard, especially when the dog is training to the invisible fence, that would be ideal.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am

sniperjon,
In reality it can be a big asset if you train with a master initiated B&T collar, and use the Pet Smart Yard fence. Putting the
Pet Smart collar on the pup or young dog, which beeps before it initiates electric discipline, starts to teach the pup that not listening to the recall beep gets him disciplined. The 1st time the pup exceeds his territory on my forest property, he get himself shocked, the pup automatically runs back to me standing or sitting in the yard. This learning experience is imprinted on the pup and carries over when he is learning his beeper recall command, with his B&P Collar. If you use your T&B collar as a training/hunting command tool the Pet Smart fence turns into a big asset. I have been using the two tools together for many years now. It works very very well. Ofcourse there is a lot more to this training technique, but this was a simple over view of how it actually works.
RGD/Dave

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks everyone

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:05 pm

How young of a pup would you use the efence on? I have a 4 mo GSP. Too soon?

Croix

Post by Croix » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I waited till 6 or 7 months. For both shock and fence collar

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 pm

My pup is 6 months and is at the point in her obed training to be on a collar.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm

isuhunter wrote:How young of a pup would you use the efence on? I have a 4 mo GSP. Too soon?

this is my first efence but i was told at least 8 months of age on fence training.
whiskers is 11 months and i am just finishing up his training on fence.
spend a lot of time walking area with flags first and tone command .
then turn on shock part later.
dont hurry, take your time on efence.
i am taking at least 3 months training on fence with just tone .

HAVAHART radial fence is good one if you dont have more than 2 dogs. price 299 on sale now.works up to 11 acres but most times about 4 acres.

hartlinejon

Post by hartlinejon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:13 pm

I have 4 dogs all on invisible fence collars, I was also worried about my GSP pup getting confused between it and the e collar. I have a great inv fence rep (fortunately) that services my area and he and my dog trainer both told me that it would be no problem mainly because different brands of collars all have different tones. My GSP pup trained to the fence within about 3 weeks when he was about 8 months old with no problem but I really didnt start using the e collar until a few months later. The only problem that I have run into with him is sometimes when he comes to a road while hunting or during training he is hesitent to cross the road because I live on a corner lot, lol (the road is off limits!)

MI-Man

Post by MI-Man » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:45 am

Installed an invisible fence when our GSP was 6 months, then introduce her to an e-collar at 10 months. She did great with both.

joshlaugh

Post by joshlaugh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:53 pm

I had an invisible fence along with an e collar for my brittany and found that I didn't need the fence. When we leave the house the dog has his e collar on and I don't let him out without me so it seemed redundant to have both systems. I ended up giving it to my neighbor.