Any advice?

Ranger351

Any advice?

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 am

Ok so Sunday I get to see a litter of pups and have potl. I'm not bringing her home as they are only 3 wks old. Seen both parents in action, happy there.was told by the breeder she isn't letting any go before 7 wk but will hold them till 12 wks by request. Now I know I cant test any natural abilities or such at 3 wks so what else can I look for to get the best pup?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Any advice?

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 am

Have her hold the pup until at least 8 weeks old - 10 might be better IF there are other pups for it to interact with. You can't decide squat with a 3 week old pup - nothing. Unless it is hiding under the table and won't interact at all. If you absolutely have to pick the pup at this age....then just pick the one you like the looks of. If you don't have to pick now, just wait until they mature a bit and let the breeder help you decide which one fits your family best. I really like a breeder that waits until 8 weeks old to help owners make picks (or even later).

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 am

If it is a heavily linebred litter, pick by markings that you like. If it is an outcross, look at the physical features of sire and dam and determine what you like about both, and look for those preferred features in the pups. I personally always shy away from the smallest and most timid.

Linescreamer

Post by Linescreamer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 am

This will help, but at 3 weeks it may not be of much use. I would based my decision on looks and comparing traits/responce differential with the litter mates.

http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Ok well I have potl but there are already several people in line waiting on us to make our pick. Hence not being able to wait till 5 + wks.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm

You're getting a female, right? Pick the girl with the head markings most like her sire.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Ok casey whats the reason for that?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Ranger351 wrote:Ok casey whats the reason for that?
Sire prepotency and gender influence on expressor genes.

Or, it's as good a method as any at that age. :)

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Ok sire is heavily patched and roaned. Dam is liver head mostly white with some ticking. All pups are patched most are showing some ticking but only two are roan like the sire.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:08 pm

My roan dogs have always been more compliant than my white dogs. White Clown dogs are head cases, in my personal experience and your pup goes back to Rawhide's Clown on both sides.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:21 pm

Ranger,
If you are going to pick up your pup, suggest that you would like to make one trip to pick and pick up. POTL has it's privileges.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

So what about heavily ticked?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:My roan dogs have always been more compliant than my white dogs. White Clown dogs are head cases, in my personal experience and your pup goes back to Rawhide's Clown on both sides.
Don't believe you can connect personallity to color.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Ranger351 wrote:So what about heavily ticked?
If the legs are roan, the dog is roan, if the legs are speckled, the dog is white, regardless of how heavily ticked it is. Roan is a simple dominant, so two roan parents may produce clear white pups. Not that it matters unless you are planning on breeding for a particular result. All things being equal, I would also choose the pup that is the first to pick up a small rag dropped among them.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:My roan dogs have always been more compliant than my white dogs. White Clown dogs are head cases, in my personal experience and your pup goes back to Rawhide's Clown on both sides.
You've got to be high to make a statement like that. How many Clown dogs have you been around. Besides all the Clown dogs I've owned and know of others and watched them that's rediculous. Besides if you have pick of the litter that's what you get no matter how many people are waiting. Sounds like people don't care.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 pm

I would not pick a pup at 3 Weeks.
brenda

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Don't believe you can connect personallity to color.
Ezzy[/quote]

+1
although with statistics you might be able to try.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 am

Well I am the first to see the litter and have choice. I was the first to respond to ad and say I wanted one so upon seeing them I have first pick and can place a deposit. I as of yesterday have spoken with owners of pups from the previous litter and out of 8 people I spoke to 7 are hunting their dogs and 2 do navhda and all claim to be proud and satisfied owners and 1 is buying a pup from this repeat breeding. So guess I'm taking a gamble but seems like good odds.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Is that your litter that went up in Dogs For Sale? Flashy momma.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Bad thing you have to pick so early. With the litter i had the smallest male is now the biggest and the most timid female is off the charts on performance. So s having said this just pick the one you like if the pedigree is there the rest is exsposer. I evaluated these pups from day one till 8 wks all are turning out really nice. The ones that seemed a little behind early are now at the front. So you just don't no. Pick one have fun

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm

I am a little confused here. I have read and re-read all the posts and I am still trying to figure out why the breeder is asking you to make your pick at 3 weeks of age. Of course there are going to be people picking after you but as you stated, you put your money down first. I agree with a couple of posters who said you are taking a big gamble picking this early. I do not think an ethical breeder would ask you to make this sort of decision. At three weeks of age, they will not have been exposed to birds, water and maybe even the yard yet. On top of that, having raised pups, there little personalities are just starting to emerge.

I don't mean to tell a guy what to do but I think I would go see the pups and then tell the breeder you are going to need some more time. Then come back at 7 weeks and take a look again. That won't stop the other buyers from coming and looking, but just like everyone who has not been at the front of the line, they should get their heart set on one pup or another.

Sorry for the rant but unless I am missing something, this just isn't the smartest thing I have heard.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 pm

With my litter the owners did not have to make decision till day of pickup in the order the deposites arrived it was simple no bullshit.

Just for the record I would not do it. But as I stated before if you believe in what he has and the pedigree so be it.

Good luck

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I've not placed any deposits. If I find one I like I pick her then a deposit to hold her.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Ahhhh! I did not realize you had not secured POTL with a cash deposit. With greater understanding now I would say if you feel good about the litter/pedigree/parents, close your eyes and the first lick on your nose is your pup. Otherwise, waiting until week 7ish will give you a much clearer picture of what you'll be living with of the next 12 years or so.

Good Luck!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

I have an email promising me first view and choice.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Unless the parents are national champions, versatile champions, MH, FC, AFC, hour champions, I would be very careful in picking a pup. I don't trust one persons word that thier dog is the best or good for that matter. Specially with the prego female. A demo will only show you so much and an expert opinion is always more desirable.

BTW a lot of backyard breeders or "breeders" do not have the consistency in a litter that would allow you to say pick one or ill pick that one at 3 weeks. They are still slugs. If they won't let you wait till 6-7 weeks then leave it and go to a better breeder/litter.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 am

Ranger, You have got it made. First pick without having to put down a deposit. Your breeder has got the game figured out. Hardly anyone will go see pups without taking one home.
Of course as fast as I say that, I went and looked at pups a couple of months ago, didn't end up liking the choices I had and passed. Made the breeder upset.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:20 am

So you have to actually pick which pup you want at 3 weeks? That's a little ridiculous.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:29 am

Well I found a word for the definations thred. What is POTL? :?: I have a feeling we're talking in abreviated words here again but this time a really am stumped!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 am

Pick of the litter

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 am

I would not consider this POTL if its at 3 weeks. Look for a different litter.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 am

ultracarry wrote:I would not consider this POTL if its at 3 weeks. Look for a different litter.

+1 on you will take a pup'cause they so cute ....
And
+2 Go find a breeder that can show you their bloodlines, and find some hall of fame names in tbere, those dogs made it !

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 am

How to pick a puppy is a pretty common topic on this board. I only know of one way to pick the best puppy. Buy them all and raise them and work them until they are two years old or so, keep the one you like the best and sell the remainder. The top breeders and field trialers raise dozens and in some cases, dozens of dozens of puppies to find the best to compete with and breed. These folks could save thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars if there was a way to pick the best puppy at eight weeks of age.

The only thing that you can do, in my opinion, is to find a breeder that you trust, a sire and dam that you like and then shut your eyes and pick one.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 am

We sold 7 puppies from a litter of Eight born 2-6-2011
At one year 6 owners said they were sure they got best pick of the litter. I thought I did.
My best bitch ever was picked by my wife before she was out of the sack she was born in. They are all good.
They probably will be barely walking at 3 weeks. All you can pick is color and that wiil change unless it's solid.
We buy several puppies every year and because of the distances let the breeders pick or pick from pictures Good Luck

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:44 am

The only thing that you can do, in my opinion, is to find a breeder that you trust, a sire and dam that you like and then shut your eyes and pick one.[/quote]
:wink:
If you buy from a breeder with good hunting lines and proven dogs, pick any and the dog, it will become what you make of it.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:44 pm

potl = pick of the litter and Chief, Clown & City Slicker seem to be well known dogs and have several dogs who are past or current champions in the lines.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Ranger351 wrote:potl = pick of the litter and Chief, Clown & City Slicker seem to be well known dogs and have several dogs who are past or current champions in the lines.
Chief was never trialed. There's only one FC/AFC that's active in your selection. These pups are his grandsons or granddaughters or might even be great grandsons or daughters.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Doesn't sound that good.... I would have to be getting paid to get a pick at 3 weeks with those being the championship lines... There are plenty of litters who have stacked pedigrees that would be less of a risk. Better to pay up front for a great breeding than pay half for some dogs that aren't worth jack.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Hmm swore I put the word PAST in there. Now I'm sure these dogs are crap as I've been told by a specific member (as he then tells me he has pups available) but I've noticed a few of the peoples dogs on here have dogs from the same blood somewhere in the lines. Thanks for all the advice. I'll look on sunday and see how I feel bout them. If it doesn't work another guy has two litters from huntem up kennel lines.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm with Ultracarry. I had simliar exsperence with a guy that said i would have 1st pick of the litter. Started preasuring me to pick at 2wks old, calls me 5 times in a week says hes needs a deposite he had sold 2 already. The guy had a male and female in a town house just trying to make sum $$ he did have ok pedigrees but he had no clue about the breed or training a dog. Turned out i went some were else and by chance ran in to one of the best breeds in the country. He introduced me to NAVHDA and many other things. Best move i've made. You will no if hes bullshitting ya. If don't seem right it anit. Ultracarry points are right on. I would put the odds in ur favor there so many good breeders out there don't rush. If have a deposite you make ur decision the day of pickup everyone else is behind you. its that simple. good luck

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 am

ok went & saw the pups sunday spoke with the breeder and there was a mutual misunderstanding. So long & short I put a deposit down and will be visiting the pups weekly and have first pick on pick up day. They are ready to go at 8 wks. I'm excited now I can watch them grow and get a great feel for what one I want.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:55 am

Ranger, Good deal!!