Pet transportaion companies?

tfbirddog2

Pet transportaion companies?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Who are the AFFORDABLE! pet transport companies anyone has used? Have a dog that possibly needs to go from Kansas to New Hampshire? I have seen this post on here before, but couldnt find it, any help would be great! Thanks!
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

hi-tailyn

Re: Pet transportaion companies?

Post by hi-tailyn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Curious myself, if ground carriers are cheaper than flying.

You can pretty much fly a pup for around $240. and a adult 50Lb dog for $350. on most airlines and have it done in 4-10 hours.

Is there a benefit for ground carriers? I may need to change if that much cheaper.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Pay more to fly..
My friend shipped some pups with one of the transport companies took pups 10+ days from Montana to Georgia needless to say he was not happy at all
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:58 am

I need to send 1 to Florida in the next couple weeks. I would like to hear more answers.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:59 am

Also what restrictions have you encountered flying your pups?

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:33 am

Chuck and Heather at Gundog Express. I had a post up last year about them. Excellent service and actually returned phoned calls "Promptly". Will absolutely use them again if they are still in business.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:06 am

doco wrote:Chuck and Heather at Gundog Express. I had a post up last year about them. Excellent service and actually returned phoned calls "Promptly". Will absolutely use them again if they are still in business.

+1.

They brought Kona and her littermate out here from OK. They were very reasonable and the pups were here within 4 days. They were happy healthy little pups when they arrived.

I travel alot for work and have seen the baggage loaders from the plane and have no faith they won't handle my pups like they handle most bags. Then there is the story that was posted recently about the baggage Handler that accused a hunter of abusing his dog because it was skinny and mistreated. He was on a hunting trip and the dog was detained and not allowed to go home. When all said and done the vet said the dog was fine and the cuts were normal for a recently hunted dog.

Chuck and Heather raise and hunt dogs. they also transport dogs. I will pay a little more to put my dogs in the hands of fellow hunters and dog owners. I have faith that they no how to handle a dog and they know what a dog in good shape looks like. JM2C.

Good luck,

Joe

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 am

I have had 4 dogs transported by Gundog Express. No problems!
I just read about a company though that does it for $150. Wow, might have to try that, I have a pup on order now.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks for the help, talked to Chuck with GunDogExpress, I will use them price was great! You can beat that!
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:31 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:
doco wrote:Chuck and Heather at Gundog Express. I had a post up last year about them. Excellent service and actually returned phoned calls "Promptly". Will absolutely use them again if they are still in business.

+1.

They brought Kona and her littermate out here from OK. They were very reasonable and the pups were here within 4 days. They were happy healthy little pups when they arrived.

I travel alot for work and have seen the baggage loaders from the plane and have no faith they won't handle my pups like they handle most bags. Then there is the story that was posted recently about the baggage Handler that accused a hunter of abusing his dog because it was skinny and mistreated. He was on a hunting trip and the dog was detained and not allowed to go home. When all said and done the vet said the dog was fine and the cuts were normal for a recently hunted dog.

Chuck and Heather raise and hunt dogs. they also transport dogs. I will pay a little more to put my dogs in the hands of fellow hunters and dog owners. I have faith that they no how to handle a dog and they know what a dog in good shape looks like. JM2C.

Good luck,

Joe
+ 2

doco

Post by doco » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:01 pm

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:21 pm

i looked into both.plane/gundogexpress.i talked to chuck too.
his cost is 325 dollars to ship your pup.that could go up with new gas prices, so could plane.
here is my concern with pup on highway for days.
puppy in with other dogs can get very scared,i seen it.they smell fear.
now ,at 8 weeks do they smell fear? dont know but i seen 12 and 14 week old dogs smell fear.
trust me, those dogs to this day are scared of other dogs.
like my pup coming out of fergas falls, mn to renovo,pa.
its over 1,000 miles.
chuck says, jim it will take 2 days.i would bet it will take 3 days.you have bad roads and construction work.heck, it took me 18 hrs to get to indiana in summer do to road work.
chuck says they stop every 4 hrs to let dog pee. if you have 10 dogs, man thats longtime every 4hrs to pee.

how do you get anywhere on road stopping to let 10 dogs pee.
next, say they show up at your home, guess what, YOUR NOT HOME.
NOW CHUCK HAS TO WAIT 1 HR, MAYBE 2 HRS FOR YOU TO SHOW UP, THIS HAPPENS.

now thats delaying my pup from getting to my home.
all time he is in van with OTHER DOGS, ADULT AND PUPPYS.

plane you have dog in 10hrs. yes, i have another 5 hr drive to home, so 15 hrs puppy is on road.

my biggest concern is SMELL OF OTHER DOGS IN VAN. chuck feels its no problem,he is most likely right.

you dont need health certificate or kennel in gundogexpress.
that will save you well over 100 dollars.chuck brings puppy to your door, that will save you another 100 on gas.

but at this time, i just dont feel comfortable with van or plane.it would cost me 500 dollars in gas to drive to mn with new gas prices,motel,wear on car and me,meals.

if it was me,i would have 2 people in van.you could then drive NON STOP .they sleep in van.
i would let dogs pee in van while moving. use puppy pads or grass puppy pad thing .
NO STOPPING TO LET DOGS TAKE LEAK EVERY 4 HRS.
this van would be on road 24/7,no pulling over to sleep.
i did this for years at my job.plus this would be great for puppys to have someone playing with them on trip etc.
Last edited by JIM K on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:31 pm

jimssetters wrote:Also what restrictions have you encountered flying your pups?
you have to have airplane approved crate,health certificate,cant fly pup when its over 85 degrees.so you are looking at around 250 to 300 to fly with those things included.
but gas prices are going up.
my biggest concern is changing of the planes.those 2 hr or so layovers i get worried.
it seems you cant find direct flights.
2 biggest carriers are DELTA/CONTINENTAL.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:54 am

JIM K wrote:i looked into both.plane/gundogexpress.i talked to chuck too.
his cost is 325 dollars to ship your pup.that could go up with new gas prices, so could plane.
here is my concern with pup on highway for days.
puppy in with other dogs can get very scared,i seen it.they smell fear.
now ,at 8 weeks do they smell fear? dont know but i seen 12 and 14 week old dogs smell fear.
trust me, those dogs to this day are scared of other dogs.
like my pup coming out of fergas falls, mn to renovo,pa.
its over 1,000 miles.
chuck says, jim it will take 2 days.i would bet it will take 3 days.you have bad roads and construction work.heck, it took me 18 hrs to get to indiana in summer do to road work.
chuck says they stop every 4 hrs to let dog pee. if you have 10 dogs, man thats longtime every 4hrs to pee.

how do you get anywhere on road stopping to let 10 dogs pee.
next, say they show up at your home, guess what, YOUR NOT HOME.
NOW CHUCK HAS TO WAIT 1 HR, MAYBE 2 HRS FOR YOU TO SHOW UP, THIS HAPPENS.

now thats delaying my pup from getting to my home.
all time he is in van with OTHER DOGS, ADULT AND PUPPYS.

plane you have dog in 10hrs. yes, i have another 5 hr drive to home, so 15 hrs puppy is on road.

my biggest concern is SMELL OF OTHER DOGS IN VAN. chuck feels its no problem,he is most likely right.

you dont need health certificate or kennel in gundogexpress.
that will save you well over 100 dollars.chuck brings puppy to your door, that will save you another 100 on gas.

but at this time, i just dont feel comfortable with van or plane.it would cost me 500 dollars in gas to drive to mn with new gas prices,motel,wear on car and me,meals.

if it was me,i would have 2 people in van.you could then drive NON STOP .they sleep in van.
i would let dogs pee in van while moving. use puppy pads or grass puppy pad thing .
NO STOPPING TO LET DOGS TAKE LEAK EVERY 4 HRS.
this van would be on road 24/7,no pulling over to sleep.
i did this for years at my job.plus this would be great for puppys to have someone playing with them on trip etc.
I had a shipper like that, she picked up my labs in WI, on a Thursday and was waiting for me early Saturday morning in NM. Reasonable on her prices. Wouldint expect anyone to meet her in the middle of the night.

wish she was still running dogs!

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 am

My wife shipped a dog from Washington DC to Arizona via http://www.petairways.com/ From what I was told they did an excellent job and there were No problems or issues. Excellent service and pick up & arrival were on time. Heat in a commerical airline cargo hold can be bad for the coming warm weather. I don't think we'd ship a dog via plane any other way. JMO.
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

doco

Post by doco » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

@ Jim K

All of what you're saying is absolutely true about non-stop, 2 drivers, playing with the dogs....However, to do that would double the cost of the transportation, meals, etc., and then there would be a bunch of Bit**n about the high cost and how much cheaper it would be to fly. I shipped three pups with them from Upstate NY on the Canadian border and they were here at the time they said they would and delivered on time to Nebraska and 2 to California. They worked with the buyers on delivery times and were at my house when they said they would be. They also called to let me know how they were doing on such a long trip cross country......I wouldn't do it any other way!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:54 am

I've flown a half dozen dogs in the last 7-8 years, never an issue, dogs showed up in good shape no complaints.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 am

Never shipped by ground, so I cant give any comment on it. It looks like you are paying close to same, maybe slightly less, but takes several days longer.

I have shipped at least 2 dozen pups and adult dogs and have narrowed my carrier to Continental is 1st choice by far. They fly climate controlled cargo area with no temperature restrictions. If its 95 degrees which it is here in TX most of the time. No problem shipping. Delta and American you may show up and they will tell you too hot and send you back home with pup. I have never had problem with American. That is not the case with Delta. Lost dog for 8 hrs in Atl. GA. , forgot to put pup on plane leaving TX to GA. They are not on my list anymore.

Pups are $230. and adults are $340. with Continental. Cutting shipping time down to 6-10 hours and the flight crew usually check on dogs and give water if there is a lay over.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 pm

doco wrote:@ Jim K

All of what you're saying is absolutely true about non-stop, 2 drivers, playing with the dogs....However, to do that would double the cost of the transportation, meals, etc., and then there would be a bunch of Bit**n about the high cost and how much cheaper it would be to fly. I shipped three pups with them from Upstate NY on the Canadian border and they were here at the time they said they would and delivered on time to Nebraska and 2 to California. They worked with the buyers on delivery times and were at my house when they said they would be. They also called to let me know how they were doing on such a long trip cross country......I wouldn't do it any other way!
i agree, it would cost more.that would not work.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 pm

hi-tailyn wrote:Never shipped by ground, so I cant give any comment on it. It looks like you are paying close to same, maybe slightly less, but takes several days longer.

I have shipped at least 2 dozen pups and adult dogs and have narrowed my carrier to Continental is 1st choice by far. They fly climate controlled cargo area with no temperature restrictions. If its 95 degrees which it is here in TX most of the time. No problem shipping. Delta and American you may show up and they will tell you too hot and send you back home with pup. I have never had problem with American. That is not the case with Delta. Lost dog for 8 hrs in Atl. GA. , forgot to put pup on plane leaving TX to GA. They are not on my list anymore.

Pups are $230. and adults are $340. with Continental. Cutting shipping time down to 6-10 hours and the flight crew usually check on dogs and give water if there is a lay over.
continental does not fly out of a lot of airports,so we have to use DELTA.