Small roading harness?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Small roading harness?

Post by Karen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 am

I need a roading harness to fit a 25-30 lb dog and have been unsuccessful finding one. Bought a really nice amish made one...my dogs could walk right out of it. Was going to order one from one of the gun dog supply sites...saw it on a friend's dog this weekend (one that probably has 6-7 pounds on my largest dog) and he could have slipped out of it easily.

Anyone know where I can get a roading harness that fits a 6 month old pointer (or full grown, standard sized Brittany)?
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Small roading harness?

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:24 am

Karen,

Six months is too young to be roading. Joints aren't ready for that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:36 am

Ezzy...I need a SMALL harness...one that would fit a small pointer, and therefore, a full grown Brittany. I have no intention of roading a 6 month old. I have a 5 yr old and a 7 yr old I'm actively trialing, and I need a harness to road them in.
ImageImage

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:45 am

HI Karen-

I have not done business with him, but a number of trialers have said his work is first rate.

http://raystackshop.com/

He will apparently make you just about anything you want.

I am pretty sure he can make you a Biothane roading harness for a smaller dog and include some means of adjusting it for size.

I like Biothane for dog harnesses...it is pretty indestructible and requires zero maintenance.

RayG

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:51 am

Thank you Ray! I have Blaze & Chloe home right now, so I'll take some measurements tonight and give Ray Reihl a call tomorrow. There was a saddle guy at the trial this past weekend, and it didn't occur to me until Sunday (when he was gone) that he could have made me a harness, and I don't know that we'll run into him again this season.

And you're right, I prefer biothane also.
ImageImage

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 am

I have a few of the LCS roading harness. After looking at them and seeing a suggestion here from Jimbo and Rooster about a horse halter being the same i tried it and it will work. The halter is not padded like the LCS one but i figure its easier to add padding than build from scratch. Halters are cheap and easily avalible, a colt or mini pony i would guess do the trick.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 am

Karen, another vote for Ray's tack. Call him and explain what you want. Ray made me a roading harness for my 17 pound JagdTerrier. The first one he sent wasn't right, but he made some adjustments and sent a new one which is perfect. He might need some measurements if he doesn't have something already made up.

Ray caters to trialers. His work is great and prices are good. He's blind, and makes tack etc to stay independent. You'll need to call, last time I talked to him, he didn't have help for emails or credit card stuff.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 am

Karen, I've used these with good success. http://nooksackracing.com/harnesses.html

They are custom made as well, and the price is certainly right. Note that there is one tie in the back just above the tail - don't know what your roading setup is ... I let the mutts pull me around on a bike or pull a cart and these work great.

(note - I like the idea of supporting Ray as well and will probably order my next stuff from him)

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:10 pm

I bought one for my Britts through Gundog Supply but my wife needs to resize the loops (Been waiting a couple of years now).

ps: It was not gundog but Cabelas: 61-3717 Padded Dog Pulling Harness MEDIUM
Last edited by BigTub on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNspanielguy

Post by MNspanielguy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:59 am

You might want to check out the skijoring harness stuff at www.skijornow.com. I have a couple of them that I have used with my springers.
Mike

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 am

Hey Karen I have to check but I have a feeling I might be in the market for an extra small Harness myself. I now have a very small female pointer, Betty, that i really don't think will fit in my harness. Please let me know what you find.
-Dave

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Will do Dave! I ordered the small Sherry Ebert harness from Dogs Unlimited yesterday and it's suppose to arrive tomorrow. If it's too big, I'll send back and have Ray Reihl make me one.

I ordered the one AZDoggin linked to (several months ago), but the darned thing is just too complicated to slap on a dog in the middle of a field to road back to the truck.

BTW, best of luck with Betty! Let us know how she does...she was a heck of a dog and should have been out competing years ago.
ImageImage

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Karen this is the one I use on my britts I like them a lot they fit well I ordered them in size small. they are a synthetic leather feel material that won't rot.

http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/1134/gun ... arness.htm

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Karen wrote:

BTW, best of luck with Betty! Let us know how she does...she was a heck of a dog and should have been out competing years ago.
I plan on giving her the best chance I can. I know Wayne would have loved to see her out pointing birds off horseback!
I got her out this weekend for her first expiernce out somewhere new and took this picture with my phone. I then ran into your trainer working dogs and got Betty in a backing situation, she learned alot on Sunday!

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Karen wrote:I need a roading harness to fit a 25-30 lb dog and have been unsuccessful finding one. Bought a really nice amish made one...my dogs could walk right out of it. Was going to order one from one of the gun dog supply sites...saw it on a friend's dog this weekend (one that probably has 6-7 pounds on my largest dog) and he could have slipped out of it easily.

Anyone know where I can get a roading harness that fits a 6 month old pointer (or full grown, standard sized Brittany)?
Roading? stupid question?

asc

Post by asc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 pm

mudhunter wrote:
Karen wrote:

I plan on giving her the best chance I can. I know Wayne would have loved to see her out pointing birds off horseback!
I got her out this weekend for her first expiernce out somewhere new and took this picture with my phone. I then ran into your trainer working dogs and got Betty in a backing situation, she learned alot on Sunday!
Nice point!
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:48 pm

sniperjon wrote:
Karen wrote:I need a roading harness to fit a 25-30 lb dog and have been unsuccessful finding one. Bought a really nice amish made one...my dogs could walk right out of it. Was going to order one from one of the gun dog supply sites...saw it on a friend's dog this weekend (one that probably has 6-7 pounds on my largest dog) and he could have slipped out of it easily.

Roading? stupid question?
Something like this:

Also off horse back attached by a rope.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Karen wrote: I ordered the one AZDoggin linked to (several months ago), but the darned thing is just too complicated to slap on a dog in the middle of a field to road back to the truck. .
It does take some practice for sure. Like anything there's sort of a trick to it --- and the dog learns it too. If you have a smaller, squirmy dog, I could definitely see the challenge -- sorry about that!!

I had a 70 pounder who wanted in it so desperately and wanted to pull, he was very patient, allowing me to get one foot in, bring it over top, then raise his other foot to drop it in...once in it - never a rub spot over hundreds of miles of pulling.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Ok, got the Dogs Unlimited harness (designed by Sherry Ebert) in small. John had to do some modifications to it, but I think it will work. It's biothane and riveted, so he removed some of the rivets, drilled new holes, and put back together with chicago screws.
ImageImage

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:54 am

It's a well built harness, all we changed was we shortened the stomach strap about 3-4 inches, and put a snap shackle on it, so that one does not need to buckle it in the field... adjust before you run your dog (for the size of the dog)... and when you need the harness, just snap it on.

We'll take pictures of the harness, and the changes we made to it. We're likely to get another harness as a spare (I'll take before and after pictures this time). This will give us the ability to rode 2 dogs at a time.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I use these and like them better than leather. Thay have a little "give" to them that takes the shock out of the pull. Thay also have a good padded chest strap.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/k9-komfort- ... rness.html

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Karen I have not checked the links posted but a sled dog harness will work. Mushers dogs are usually small. They also will make to fit. I got two from a retired musher and they fit well. They work good for a pulling dog.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 am

--Marked--