Has anyone done this?

trasmuson3

Has anyone done this?

Post by trasmuson3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 am

So I am in the process of getting my first hunting dog, however I have grown up with them my whole life. But I am getting my brother in law into it too and he is looking roger his first dog sometime this spring or summer. Now my question is about a dog house in the garage. Has anyone ever built a dog house that the dog can go from the outside dog run and come into a dog house in he garage to get out of the cold or heat? I'm thinking what would be best is to built a work bench in the garage and put the do house underneath that. Has anyone ever done this and does anyone have any pictures of it to give us an idea on how to build it?

Benny

Re: Has anyone done this?

Post by Benny » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 am

I don't think you would want a dog entry or dog house under your workbench. Unless it's a just-for-looks workbench.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:27 am

Thank you Benny, why is that though? The dog would only be there when they were at work during the day, and yes it would also be kind of a "just for looks" work bench. But it would mostly just be used for the dog I go in during the day to get out of the weather and sleep...

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am

I am still in the process of working on my kennels. Its pretty much done structurally except some finish work & insulating inside the building, plumbing in the auto-waterers, and getting the HVAC unit for it. I built the "Dens" for the dogs inside with treated 2x4 construction, R12 insulated floors, walls, and with tops that open for easy accessability. I had some marble tile flooring left over from the kitchen and bath remodel so I used it for the flooring in the dens. :lol:

I took this pic after I finished my first of 4 kennel areas in the garage. I need to post an updated pic when I get finished. Hope this helps. :D

BTW, I don't know about the whole idea of having them under a workbench. I think that would be a PITA and if you ever were doing much work/banging/pounding on the bench the dogs wouldn't appreciate it that much, I don't think. I am putting cabinets and some shelving above mine.... Eventually...... If I ever get done. :roll: :|
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 am

trasmuson3 wrote:Thank you Benny, why is that though? The dog would only be there when they were at work during the day, and yes it would also be kind of a "just for looks" work bench. But it would mostly just be used for the dog I go in during the day to get out of the weather and sleep...
Sure just trying to help. Yeah if it's just for looks it wouldn't be as harmful as I originally thought. Typically for me, everything I own that could kill, or maim my dog (other than my guns) sits on, or in that workbench. I have every poisenous liquid in the form of polyeurethane, and stains, chainsaw parts, drills, draw knives, and all sorts of stuff hanging around my workbench.

If yours was to be holding a few pencils and some random socket wrench stuff, probably not as much of a hazard as I had thought.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 am

I have two different friends that have done what you're talking about. You walk into their building, and you can't even tell there are dog kennels under the bench. They've done it so nicely it really just looks like cabinetry. The one is in a garage, and he does have another workbench table in the garage, so I'm guessing he just uses the tops of the dogs bench for storage, joinery, etc. The other person did that type of set up in a large yard barn type of building, where he has a puppy pen inside and some outdoor runs coming off the bench crates. I don't have pictures of either...sorry.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah exactly, it would be more for storage, not so much doing work on. Would you put insulation in it or jus put up wood for the walls? I think insulation would be great for keeping it warmer in the winter but I worry about it getting way too hot for summer time...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:37 am

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:y. I had some marble tile flooring left over from the kitchen and bath remodel so I used it for the flooring in the dens. :lol:
:|
If my pup ever stayed outside, I would be envious. She just has a cement floor.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am

trasmuson3 wrote:So I am in the process of getting my first hunting dog, however I have grown up with them my whole life. But I am getting my brother in law into it too and he is looking roger his first dog sometime this spring or summer. Now my question is about a dog house in the garage. Has anyone ever built a dog house that the dog can go from the outside dog run and come into a dog house in he garage to get out of the cold or heat? I'm thinking what would be best is to built a work bench in the garage and put the do house underneath that. Has anyone ever done this and does anyone have any pictures of it to give us an idea on how to build it?
Yes, I have fixed them that way several times in the past 50 years. I am convinced it is the ideal way to house a dog. I sure like it and so do my dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 am

DougB wrote:
prairiefirepointers wrote:y. I had some marble tile flooring left over from the kitchen and bath remodel so I used it for the flooring in the dens. :lol:
:|
If my pup ever stayed outside, I would be envious. She just has a cement floor.
Well, the plus side is it doesn't absorb odor or moisture. Easy clean up. I usually just throw a $10 dog bed from TSC in each den and they think they're in heaven. When the dog bed gets skank, I throw it away and get another one. Simple. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
trasmuson3 wrote:So I am in the process of getting my first hunting dog, however I have grown up with them my whole life. But I am getting my brother in law into it too and he is looking roger his first dog sometime this spring or summer. Now my question is about a dog house in the garage. Has anyone ever built a dog house that the dog can go from the outside dog run and come into a dog house in he garage to get out of the cold or heat? I'm thinking what would be best is to built a work bench in the garage and put the do house underneath that. Has anyone ever done this and does anyone have any pictures of it to give us an idea on how to build it?
Yes, I have fixed them that way several times in the past 50 years. I am convinced it is the ideal way to house a dog. I sure like it and so do my dogs.

Ezzy
I too, believe it is the ideal set up. As far as inslulation, I don't believe it would really be needed. JMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 pm

trasmuson3 wrote:Has anyone ever built a dog house that the dog can go from the outside dog run and come into a dog house in he garage to get out of the cold or heat?
Yes, I made mine in the back of the garage, with a swinging dog door to a 5 x 10 run on a concrete pad. The house inside the garage is made of 2 x 4's and 1 x 6's for the floor.
I welded together some nice 3/4 x 1 1/2 wall inserts, kinda looks like a jail, instead of using fence or wire. I Put a dog den two into it for a house.
Funny thing is, its been basically done for months, but the dog has yet to spend two minutes in it.... :roll:

She seems to be very comfo inside our house, What I have found out GSP's really do make good house dogs. However she will need to spend some time out there eventually when work schedules dictate it.

It also has made a nice storage shelf, I should take some pics and post them.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks mn grouse guy, that sounds just like what we're thinking of doing. But yeah if you have any pictures of it hat would be awesome!

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:32 am

A site that has some pretty good ideas for want you are wanting to due:

http://www.gundoghousedoor.com/articles ... design.htm

It has videos, tips, installation aids, etc.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 am

trasmuson3 wrote:Thanks mn grouse guy, that sounds just like what we're thinking of doing. But yeah if you have any pictures of it hat would be awesome!
trasmuson3,

here is some photo's of my 100 % completed dog kennel with 5 x 10 run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 am

My garage has a 24' long workbench with 5' on one end containing the dog housing area. I put a mesh door on the inside for access and have plexi panels that fit over the mesh for winter. A 3'x2' area inside the house, off set from the dog door is elevated about 6"-8" for the dog to lay on. My garge is insulated but not heated and stays about 10 degrees warmer than outside. I considered putting a heat lamp or even just a 100 watt bulb above the dog door but it never became necessary. My dog seemed comfortable in there even when the outside temps hit -20..... That end of the bench was more storage than anything and all the dangerous chemicals were stored ont the other end of the bench. Even so the dog never seemed bothered by anything I was doing on the bench.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 am

MN bonasa,

That is exactly what I am looking to do. What did you use for the door and the walls in the garage? I really like how it is open like that, and that is the perfect size. So you said that it is fine for them to be in there even when is -20 degrees outside, but what about it the summer? Is it too hot for them to be in there in the dead of the summer?  Thank you for the pics.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

trasmuson3 wrote:That is exactly what I am looking to do. What did you use for the door and the walls in the garage?
I used a 1 1/2 x 3/4 14 gauge steel for the door and walls, way overkill I know, however I work at a place that has the tools and materials on hand and I also know how to weld so that helps, and I wanted it to look nice.
The demension of the inside garage kennel ended up being 36 x 52 x 36
My garage is completely insulated so in the summer it will remain pretty cool, in the winter the dog will pretty much stay indoors with us. I get laid off for a few months over the the winter so there is no reason to keep the dog in an outside kennel then.
If I had to though I would get a hound heater for the DOG DEN 2 that is inside the garage kennel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.