Can a dog bleed to death from a cut ear ?

Francois P vd Walt

Can a dog bleed to death from a cut ear ?

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 pm

While out hunting my dog cut her ear jumping a fence, when she came running past I felt my heart skip a beat. She was red from all the blood, her whole neck and chest was covered in blood. My concern was losing to much blood and her shaking her head, how do you stop the bleeding ?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Can a dog bleed to death from a cut ear ?

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Pour white sugar on it. The only way a dog could bleed to death from a nicked ear is if a large artery was slit and it wasn't attended to, and that would still be a long shot chance. Wait until you think it has sealed and she shakes her head. I hate that part.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 am

Squirt did it twice last fall and I was pretty sure he would. Quit before I got home on the way to town.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:30 am

I used to run a lot of beagles and I would highly doubt your dog would bleed to death from that..........I am no vet though..... with the beagles I would spray some stuff I picked up at the local farm store called "Blue Coat" worked really well for me but does stain. I had one beagle in particular named buddy always seemed to go home covered in blood tough little sucker.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 am

I had that issue last fall with Kona at a trial. At first I thought she caught the tracker and ripped her neck. I was freaking out when she came in. Covered from head to toe in blood and her neck was coated in it. We used styptic (spelling?). It stopped the bleeding in a few minutes and she never had anymore problems with it. She quit shaking her head and never really scratched at it. Her cut was all the way through and about a 1/2 inch long. I have seen others use the ole handy dandy super glue to fix those cuts. It works too.

Joe

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:29 am

Another use for Vetwrap.

Styptic powder, EMT Gel or spray, Blue Foot or just pressure on the wound will usually stop the bleeding. Never heard of using sugar but, on this board, you learn something all the time. After it it stopped, put a gauze pad on the cut and wrp the ear to the dog's head with vetwrap. Not TOO tight.

Keeping the damaged ear close to the head will keep the dog from re-opening the cut when it shakes its head. If you don't have vetwrap of CoFlex, plain gauze in a roll will do.

RayG

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 am

It was a weekly occurance to have a hound rip and ear open or get on ripped by a coon. We would super glue them or let them ride..... the worst part was the mess.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 am

Ugh! Ear cuts bleed profusely! And the head shaking sprays it everywhere! But I doubt it's life threatening. We use super glue in a pinch. They also seem to take FOREVER to heal.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 am

Long way from the heart!

Love that saying.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am

If they had a blood disorder maybe.....put pressure on it if its bad, then send em on to find more birds :D

Cut ears happen and 99.999% of the time are no real big deal, looks a mess but not life threatening.

If i took mine to a vet every time they cut a ear or lip or tail I'd be homeless......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 am

birddog1968 wrote:If they had a blood disorder maybe.....put pressure on it if its bad, then send em on to find more birds :D

Cut ears happen and 99.999% of the time are no real big deal, looks a mess but not life threatening.

If i took mine to a vet every time they cut a ear or lip or tail I'd be homeless......
I'm in the same boat. I don't go till I haven't a clue what's wrong or how to fix it. My vet bills are generally more than I can afford! :( We used to keep that Blue Dust around for the horses. Worked great on cows and dogs!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am

I had a dog get spurred inside her ear flap by rooster in SoDak on a Sunday afternoon with no vet anywhere near by.An artery was severed and I am convinced she would have bled to death if we didn't get it stopped. We used blood stop and and duct taped her ear down. She lost a lot of blood.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:04 am

All bleeding stops eventually... ;)

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:41 am

RayGubernat wrote:Another use for Vetwrap.

Styptic powder, EMT Gel or spray, Blue Foot or just pressure on the wound will usually stop the bleeding. Never heard of using sugar but, on this board, you learn something all the time. After it it stopped, put a gauze pad on the cut and wrp the ear to the dog's head with vetwrap. Not TOO tight.

Keeping the damaged ear close to the head will keep the dog from re-opening the cut when it shakes its head. If you don't have vetwrap of CoFlex, plain gauze in a roll will do.

RayG
Great idea :idea: :idea: Vet wrap it to the head to keep em from shaking it. That one I won't forget.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 am

There are no major arteries in a dog's ear. It seems to bleed profusely just like a scalp cut does on us.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=a+dog%27s ... =79&ty=103

PS How would you wrap on the vet wrap? around his head above his eyes? around his neck and over his ear? Seems to me the dog would be pawing that off.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 am

Sharon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:11 pm

There are no major arteries in a dog's ear. It seems to bleed profusely just like a scalp cut does on us.
That's what I thought.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 pm

dog dr wrote:All bleeding stops eventually... ;)
That I did see ! Pretty scary seing your white dog going red with blood not knowing what the injury is !

Good thing they come looking for you when they injured.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Sharon wrote:There are no major arteries in a dog's ear. It seems to bleed profusely just like a scalp cut does on us.

PS How would you wrap on the vet wrap? around his head above his eyes? around his neck and over his ear? Seems to me the dog would be pawing that off.

Sharon -

I only had to do that once. Dog came to me and was a bloody mess. I did as you guessed, wrapping the ear flat againes the dog's neck and wrapping around the head behind the eyes. Maybe because the dog had been running for quite some time, it did not mess with it all the way home. It tried to shake several times, but not real hard. I dunno what I would have done if it had pulled it off. When I got home, I unwrapped it, cleaned it, hit it with some disinfectant, then dried it and and covered it with Nuskin which is kinda like rubber cement for skin. Guitar players apparently use it on their fingertips. I held the dog still until the Nuskin cured. That stuff stings. I know because I have used it on myself.

I think if I had to do it again I would use superglue. It cures faster and does not sting as much.

I cannot say if I did the best thing or not. It was what I had on hand and it got us home.

RayG

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:16 pm

I saw a video where you can put a sock with a hole cut in the end over the dogs head and then cut a flap for the non-affected ear to be free. The bleeding ear is held tightly against the head and thus cannot shake. Cant remember the name of the DVD but it involved field first aid for dogs.

-John

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 am

I was told to put gauze pad on the inside, roll the ear inward and the use 3m vet wrap around the dogs head. No big deal. Ohh and after bleeding stops superglue before you let them shake thier head.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 am

Carry a woman's nylon stocking in your game vest. Cut the toe out and slip it over the dog's muzzle and past the eyes. This will immobilize the ear and puts mild pressure on the cut, which should help stop the bleeding and throwing blood everywhere. Carry stiptic or super glue doesn't hurt either.
The stocking is also useful for preserving that perfect bird for mounting. Just slip the bird in the stocking head first and you are good to go. Of course don't let the wife know you ripped off a pair of her best nylons. :P
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:30 am

RayGubernat wrote:
Sharon wrote:There are no major arteries in a dog's ear. It seems to bleed profusely just like a scalp cut does on us.

Sharon -

I only had to do that once. Dog came to me and was a bloody mess. I did as you guessed, wrapping the ear flat againes the dog's neck and wrapping around the head behind the eyes. Maybe because the dog had been running for quite some time, it did not mess with it all the way home. It tried to shake several times, but not real hard. I dunno what I would have done if it had pulled it off. When I got home, I unwrapped it, cleaned it, hit it with some disinfectant, then dried it and and covered it with Nuskin which is kinda like rubber cement for skin. Guitar players apparently use it on their fingertips. I held the dog still until the Nuskin cured. That stuff stings. I know because I have used it on myself.

I think if I had to do it again I would use superglue. It cures faster and does not sting as much.

I cannot say if I did the best thing or not. It was what I had on hand and it got us home.

RayG

Thanks for the response.
I assume you flushed it clean thoroughly before applying Nuskin. Some people don't and end up sealing in the dirt etc resullting in a very infected ear. I've never had a dog injured in the field , but i sometimes dream about my dog getting hit on the road during a field trial. A road runs right through our trialing grounds. Luckily i don't believe dreams fortell the future.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett