Musings from a dog owning parent....

prairiefirepointers

Musings from a dog owning parent....

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm

This is simply too good not to share. I have many, but this one today was special. :oops:

A little background first. I am blessed to be able to keep my 2 year old daughter with me 3 days a week. We have alot of fun and daddy spoils little Haley like none other. For the last couple days its been raining, and Haley was becoming restless this afternoon wanting to go out and "See Sammer Dammer" as she puts it. Sam is one of my mama dogs. Get it? Sammer Dammer? LOL

Anyways, I told her it was raining and cool and we should stay inside. She persisted. 2 year olds will do that... After much animated pleading, I agreed that we could go out to the kennels (the indoor part) and let Sam out of her area to run amok and they could play. Soon, Haley was wanting her bubbles and sidewalk chalk. I figured I'd make make the most of the situation and while she was content blowing bubbles for Sam and coloring the concrete floor, I would reload some shells since my trapshooting club starts up for our spring session this Thursday night. So, as Haley diligently chalked up my floor, blew bubbles, and played with Sam (When Sam wasn't busy hunting for hidden pieces of dog food on the floor) I was listening to Country 102.9 and cranking out a few shells... Things are going smoothly right?

Then, I turn around due to an awkward silence. (Parenting 101 "If they're quiet, they're probably doing something they shouldn't be") I turn around and see Sam happily eating sidewalk chalk and Haley is face first in Sams elevated food bowl eating dog food. :roll: :lol: ... NICE.

Luckily the chalk is non-toxic and it was just a little bit, and Haley is now down for a nap. :|

Anyone else have a good story to share?
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Musings from a dog owning parent....

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:03 pm

That's a good story.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Sharon wrote:That's a good story.:)
I just called my wife at work and read it to her. She was in stitches. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm

When my son was that age he would go to the kennel with me to feed. I had a very laid back group of dogs at the time, I would not have let him do the following with some of the dogs that I have had. He would sit down with the full feed dish between his legs and feed the dog by hand. He had been doing this for several days before I really paid attention, he would give the dog a couple of pieces and then eat a piece himself, and then repeat.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for sharing, it made me smile.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 pm

I'll share my personal fav. Our first GSP arrived when my first child was 5 months old. My son was an early talker and walker and kept me crazy busy, and the dog ... well lets say her energy was ENDLESS! She was always into trouble. By 9 months old, my son could stand at the screen door, shake his finger, and yell a pretty distinct "KATIE-NO!" which turned out to be his first words after mama...
Sigh. :roll:

kburke

Post by kburke » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 am

This is a little grosser....

when my first son was about a year old he was crawling around in our dining room while me and my wife were cleaning up in the kitchen. After a little while we noticed that all was quiet then heard a little "mmm....mmm" sound from under/behind the dining room table. We look over and there he is eating some "semi-digested" dog food that we had not seen. Thankfully, it appeared that the dog had thrown up almost immediately after eating so the pieces were just a little softened - gotta take some comfort when you can get it!