Post by birdguy321 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:32 pm

I am wondering what the Adverage purchase price what are people paying for
Registered decient German shorthair pointer puppy? With good parents! ThNks

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Gsp purchase price?

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:49 pm

$300 - $600
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I would say for a decent GSP pup the average is probly around $500 depending on what you are after. when you start looking for specifics the price goes up. Meaning for high end FT lines or high end NAVHDA hunting lines is not uncommon to see pups sell for $1500+.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Depends on your location.

$650 should get you into the possibility of a top dog.

Nothing like references.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:$300 - $600
Twice that in the north.
The price of the pup has very little to do with the cost of the dog if it feels good buy it

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Twice that in the north.
The price of the pup has very little to do with the cost of the dog if it feels good buy it
I've never really figured out why the GSPs up this way are priced like they are. There are an awful lot of good dogs up this way, but there is also a lot of good dogs in different regions that are priced much less.

Like Jerry said though, if it feels good buy it. While the extra $$$ can be felt in the moment, over the life of a good dog it doesnt amount to all that much money.

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:10 pm

If you study bloodlines then look for a breeding to match. You can find some good deals.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 pm

$800 - $1200 in ON. ( not many breeders)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

rick,b

Post by rick,b » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 pm

im in the east ,new-england and from what i see as for price of a good GSP is a lot more here then the rest of the country and seems like the more west you go the price gos down as well also more for females then males. $700 to $1500 for good lines .i see a lot in the $900 range.it may be better to buy one from out west and have it shipped to me and save some $$.i do not know why the prices very so much :(

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Ya you would have to look pretty hard to find a GSP in the west for more than $1000 I think. I have seen some very nice bred pups sold for $600-$700 out of very proven/titled dogs.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 am

Part of the price issue relates to the type of breeder. The breeders who routinely have litters, have worked hard to prove their dogs in the various games, are in the business to make a name for themselves and their kennel generally are working harder to increase the demand & perceived value of their pups. On the other hand there are more than a few really knowledgeable folks who breed little, breed very well & often mostly are looking for the pup they want out of one of their own litters. Some of the latter group of folks have let their pups go for lower prices.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:39 am

The only thing I would add is research. Dog's are here for a decent amount of time with a lot of time & money spent to get them where you want them. I myself would never just buy any dog. I would be more inclined to rescue an unknown dog then just buy any dog not knowing where it came from. I am a sticler for detail . :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:48 am

Be aware their are a lot of horse traders in the dog business.
The average buyer is looking for a companion/hunting dog probably in that order. He is not into pedigrees. His best bet is to pay a little more from a established breeder who he trusts and is breeding what he wants. If the breeder shows,tests or trials it should be in venues that would interrest you. Don't buy from FC parents and expect to get a show champion. or vice versa. not impossible but unlikely.
While I like a big runner as much as anybody most beginners are not capable of dealing with the dog whose goal in life is to see how far away he can get before you get on your horse. They either have to spend a lot on training or battle the dog 'til they give up and go on to something different. Many people graduate to bigger running dogs, but the best chance is a little closer working one to start with. conversely if you want a big runner don't buy from 50 yd parents.
Visit the kennel if possible, meet the parents and the breeder. If you feel uncomfortable about anything move on. Do this before the litter is born. Preferrably the decision to buy a puppy is made before it's on the ground. If you go to look at the puppies to decide to buy or not the game is over.
Expect to pay a little more from a reputable breeder. It will be money well spent. Beware of the breeder who is breeding two good dogs to get what he wants his goals likely won't be the same as yours and he probably needs to get rid of the extra puppies.
Many will disagree and the OP only asked about price. But this is what establishes price and most times you get what you pay for. What is perceived to be a bargain is not always as it seems
CJ
Last edited by cjhills on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:12 am

First one $350 Second one $750 Third one Free. All depends when your looking.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am

cjhills wrote:Be aware their are a lot of horse traders in the dog business.
Expect to pay a little more from a reputable breeder. It will be money well spent. Beware of the breeder who is breeding two good dogs to get what he wants his goals likely won't be the same as yours and he probably needs to get rid of the extra puppies. What is percieved to be a bargain is not always as it seems CJ
Most of the post was pretty good. Reputable breeders can be high volume or low volume. Both are breeding two dogs with their goals in mind. Either one may have goals that likely won't be the same as yours. Any reputable breeder may at different times need to get rid of "extra" puppies, whatever that term really means. As bargain hunters know many bargains end up being great deals. What seems like a slam dunk high quality purchase may also turn out poorly for your particular needs. If the proper instincts are there the end result will depend at least as much if not more upon the quality & quantity of the training than on the dog itself. Read, ask questions, research. The more knowlegable you become the more likely you'll get what you're looking for, regardless of the source of the breeding.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 am

+1 Bigshooter
Many will disagree and the OP only asked about price. But this is what establishes price and most times you get what you pay for. What is perceived to be a bargain is not always as it seems.
I would have to disagree, I have seen many dogs that were twice what I paid for mine and I would not want to feed them. I personally would stay away from a "breeder", since a lot of the time they are in it to make money. Have "brood bitches" that pump out pups etc, have too many dogs to be able to adequately test or hunt those dogs. I would feel more comfortable buying from someone that had two really good dogs that excelled at hunting/trialing venues that I am interested in. In the dog business though I would buy from someone you know and trust.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 am

I have found them for 1700 from a kennel in UT.

Have fun looking. Wouldn't care about price if I could find a breeding I like.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 am

ultracarry wrote:I have found them for 1700 from a kennel in UT.

Have fun looking. Wouldn't care about price if I could find a breeding I like.
You really did? From who?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 am

Sorry ID (non morman UT)

15-1700 black is rare.....

http://www.no-mars.com/Puppies.html

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 am

That is insane.... I guess you get what you pay for!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 am

ultracarry wrote:Sorry ID (non morman UT)

15-1700 black is rare.....

http://www.no-mars.com/Puppies.html
Now, I've never been good at math, but how do you get 2 months of testing from a 9 week old pup?
From the time of birth to 9 weeks old, or after they have had their 2nd set of shots we will have 2 months of testing them and watching for the one that is the best one for your needs.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 am

I just go to the pet store and look for puppies now. My wife had that one right at least. Still paid 550 though.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 am

Brad everyone knows the gsp (specially imports) learn to use thier nose in the bush way before they open thier eyes. It starts at day one when they learn how to run and track wounded game, before thier eyes open...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 am

Regardless of the original price, they are all in the $300 range when they go through breed rescue and there are quite a few of high end pedigree dogs, and even puppies, that do.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 pm

BigShooter wrote:
cjhills wrote:Be aware their are a lot of horse traders in the dog business.
Expect to pay a little more from a reputable breeder. It will be money well spent. Beware of the breeder who is breeding two good dogs to get what he wants his goals likely won't be the same as yours and he probably needs to get rid of the extra puppies. What is percieved to be a bargain is not always as it seems CJ
Most of the post was pretty good. Reputable breeders can be high volume or low volume. Both are breeding two dogs with their goals in mind. Either one may have goals that likely won't be the same as yours. Any reputable breeder may at different times need to get rid of "extra" puppies, whatever that term really means. As bargain hunters know many bargains end up being great deals. What seems like a slam dunk high quality purchase may also turn out poorly for your particular needs. If the proper instincts are there the end result will depend at least as much if not more upon the quality & quantity of the training than on the dog itself. Read, ask questions, research. The more knowlegable you become the more likely you'll get what you're looking for, regardless of the source of the breeding.
Amen

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Elkhunter wrote:+1 Bigshooter
Many will disagree and the OP only asked about price. But this is what establishes price and most times you get what you pay for. What is perceived to be a bargain is not always as it seems.
I would have to disagree, I have seen many dogs that were twice what I paid for mine and I would not want to feed them. I personally would stay away from a "breeder", since a lot of the time they are in it to make money. Have "brood bitches" that pump out pups etc, have too many dogs to be able to adequately test or hunt those dogs. I would feel more comfortable buying from someone that had two really good dogs that excelled at hunting/trialing venues that I am interested in. In the dog business though I would buy from someone you know and trust.
I think you are referring to a "puppy mill", not a breeder.
brenda

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:23 pm

snips wrote:

AGREE!

What you are paying for ( in my opinion looking for) from a breeder, is research, experience, devotion, a life long person you can call for advice, a mentor, someone who knows and stands behind the health and well being of their dogs, proven parents who are already doing what you want, hunting like you prefer, look the way you like, ACT the way you would want you own dog to act. The breeder should be able to describe personalities, often for several generations back, and much more.
THEN after all that they should be able to tell you how they raise the puppies, what that puppy is exposed to and how the breeder goes about introducing the puppies to the world around them. This is no small task, and may make as much diffence as the lines behind the dog. Nature/ Nurture I think I can safely say they are BOTH quite important. Certainly good dogs from unproven parents are out there, but if you buy from a guy who has two dogs, and you get a dud, you are going to have a dud. If you happen to somehow have trouble with a puppy from a good breeder, they will either help you turn puppy into the dog you hoped for or work with you to find the right puppy for you. They won't leave you high and dry. That is what you pay for.

WPBS1234

Post by WPBS1234 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:33 pm

mountaindogs wrote:
snips wrote:

AGREE!

What you are paying for ( in my opinion looking for) from a breeder, is research, experience, devotion, a life long person you can call for advice, a mentor, someone who knows and stands behind the health and well being of their dogs, proven parents who are already doing what you want, hunting like you prefer, look the way you like, ACT the way you would want you own dog to act. The breeder should be able to describe personalities, often for several generations back, and much more.
THEN after all that they should be able to tell you how they raise the puppies, what that puppy is exposed to and how the breeder goes about introducing the puppies to the world around them. This is no small task, and may make as much diffence as the lines behind the dog. Nature/ Nurture I think I can safely say they are BOTH quite important. Certainly good dogs from unproven parents are out there, but if you buy from a guy who has two dogs, and you get a dud, you are going to have a dud. If you happen to somehow have trouble with a puppy from a good breeder, they will either help you turn puppy into the dog you hoped for or work with you to find the right puppy for you. They won't leave you high and dry. That is what you pay for.

I also agree. I think any reputable breeder will offer a lot of support that may be priceless.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:06 pm

I got both my GSP for a crazy good price but the breeder was a family friend ( like my 2nd mom) and i helped her out with advertising her 2 litters the only litters she'll ever have.
before I knew she was having puppies i asked around about breeders prices and blood lines. I also figured in what i wanted in a gsp. I needed a dog that would hunt and be my kids pet so far it has worked out for us
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!