Pulling sports and the hunting dog

BayAreaGSP

Pulling sports and the hunting dog

Post by BayAreaGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:59 am

What do you guys think about hunting dogs being tought a pulling sport like skijoring or bikejoring? Do you see any issue that may clash in the training of both? Anone here use a pulling sport to keep dogs fit in the off season?

fishvik

Re: Pulling sports and the hunting dog

Post by fishvik » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:05 am

I use my GWP/Lab cross to pull a sled full of decoys when field hunting in the snow or all my ice fishing gear when I go ice fishing. I've never used him for pulling me on my bike or skis but I've given kids in the neighborhood rides in the sled with Puck pulling it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 am

I understand that Robert Whele did sled dog sprint competitions with his bird dogs for a period of time.

I also understand that the competition got tired of getting blown out of the water by his pointers so they changed the rules so he could not compete.

An acquaintance of mine built a wheeled sled out of PVC(mostly) which he used to exercise two dogs at a time during the summer months.

It worked well until his kids got hold of it . :lol: :lol:

RayG

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:00 am

It wont hurt at all.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 am

I skijor with mine in the winter, and it doesn't interfere in any way I've seen. Don't think it's any different than roading a dog really, except I have to work out too. :D

I have a pic running behind my two GSP's this winter but it won't let me post it for some reason....

I also have competed in UKC weight pull with them as well, really helps condition their topline and hindquarters. My older GSP is much more into it and really honestly likes doing it. He's pulled just under 4000 pounds on the rail system. Here he is last year, at age 9 no less, at a winter wheel pull where he did just under 2000 pounds, and you can see from his little tail going non stop at the start and finish he really likes doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMMPPYT ... R__Ki18%3D
Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am

It's not much different than roading. Possibly might want to modify the "whoa" command in bike/skijoring - whoa means to slow down and eventually stop, and in hunting to stop right now. Maybe use "sllllllowwwwwwwwwwwww" and "whoa" as the slow down and halt commands.

Check out these GSP's in Alaska: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8725570069
German short-haired pointers, pointer/greyhound mixes and Alaskan huskies ranked top in racing teams around the world.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5275212

Great way to keep dog in shape, continue the socialization off season, maintain that handler/dog bond. I don't see the downside...

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 am

Gentlemen,
George Ryman used his Ryman Setters to pull his dog sled as they removed shot Deer from the woods, long before any of us were ever born. I have his black and white video from the early 30's as proof.
RGD/Dave

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen,
George Ryman used his Ryman Setters to pull his dog sled as they removed shot Deer from the woods, long before any of us were ever born. I have his black and white video from the early 30's as proof.
RGD/Dave
Are you sure they had video in the early thirties?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 am

AzDoggin wrote:It's not much different than roading. Possibly might want to modify the "whoa" command in bike/skijoring - whoa means to slow down and eventually stop, and in hunting to stop right now. Maybe use "sllllllowwwwwwwwwwwww" and "whoa" as the slow down and halt commands.

Check out these GSP's in Alaska: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8725570069
German short-haired pointers, pointer/greyhound mixes and Alaskan huskies ranked top in racing teams around the world.

Great way to keep dog in shape, continue the socialization off season, maintain that handler/dog bond. I don't see the downside...
I use a long low "eeeeasy" to slow down and a whoa to stop. We're not so good on directional commands yet, but they're pretty good with easy and whoa. It has actually helped with my younger guy's whoa training some!
Sara

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 am

AzDoggin wrote:It's not much different than roading. Possibly might want to modify the "whoa" command in bike/skijoring - whoa means to slow down and eventually stop, and in hunting to stop right now. Maybe use "sllllllowwwwwwwwwwwww" and "whoa" as the slow down and halt commands.

Great video, hard to imagine the girl was sleeping while he was yelling "pll you green faces poseys!" lol

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen,
RGD/Dave

This is a great idea, i have a cabelas big game cart that im sure i cold make a harness for. Wont have to leave her at home during deer season now

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:17 am

legallyblonde wrote:

I use a long low "eeeeasy" to slow down and a whoa to stop. We're not so good on directional commands yet, but they're pretty good with easy and whoa. It has actually helped with my younger guy's whoa training some!
I like this

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:19 am

ElhewPointer wrote:It wont hurt at all.

When roading do they pull the 4wheeler with no assistance from engine or are you basically walking 4 dogs at once?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 pm

legallyblonde wrote: I use a long low "eeeeasy" to slow down and a whoa to stop. We're not so good on directional commands yet, but they're pretty good with easy and whoa. It has actually helped with my younger guy's whoa training some!
I like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaazzzzzzzyy" better - it's more distinct! That's interesting that it might contribute to "whoa" - don't see why not - a command is a command is a command whether the dog is coming out of his kennel, approaching his food dish, or stopping after a nice long bike pull.

The dog I had learned "gee" and "haw" in just a few weeks. Always just paired the verbal command with natural turns we were making, and he caught on very quickly. Used them when we were just out walking with the leash as well, so he had a gazillion reps in a very short time. Darn dog was so crazy to pull, he'd do anything to make it work out.

Word of warning if you are getting pulled on a bike by a powerful dog: wear a helmet and make sure your bike has good brakes. I won't get into how I found that out. :lol:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Sporting dog's LOVE to pull and it's a great workout for them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:10 pm

BayAreaGSP wrote:
ElhewPointer wrote:It wont hurt at all.

When roading do they pull the 4wheeler with no assistance from engine or are you basically walking 4 dogs at once?
You are driving with the engine on. If you go 7 to 8 mph. They are pulling hard.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:32 pm

I just hooked my two pointers up to my mountain bike. I rode the rear brake pretty much the whole time. They loved it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I used to do that until i ended up head first in the ditch.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:12 pm

One of the top skijorers from Canada uses a Weimaraner from a Hunting Weim Breeder (not sure if she hunts or not though.) I have thought of trying it out in the winter to help keep the dogs in shape.
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Ezzy,
My video was made from Georges old 35 MM projector home movies, rest assured it is the real deal.

Bay,
George used 6 or 8 Ryman dogs to pull his dog sled in the winter, one lone dog is definitely going to have his paws full.

RGD/Dave

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 pm

There are a few old threads about pulling. Here's one: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=24516&hilit=scooter
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:09 am

bigdaddy wrote:I just hooked my two pointers up to my mountain bike. I rode the rear brake pretty much the whole time. They loved it.
Do you let them run in front of you? Or to the side? I've been putting my dog tied to the side- leash around the seat post, hooked to dog with a pulling harness. It's good cause he can't pull me over, but he's not really pulling.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 am

I run mine in non-snow weather in front of my with the sledding harnesses and the same lines I use for skijoring. It actually has a name too--bikejoring. The local MUSH club is going to have a 'dry rig' run this fall where they run sled dogs hooked to wheeled rigs and they'll have bikejoring and cani-cross classes too.
Sara

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42 am

How come in the 1930s, video cameras can video things but without sound?
I know that Video Cameras already came into existence in the 1930s, if not how do we get the Film Footage of ''The Battle of Europe, D-Day Invasion, The Battle of the Pacific and The Japanese Invasion of Malaya and Singapore.''

However, one thing I can't figure it out is that how come the Video Camera is able to video the footages but there isn't any sounds from the soldiers fighting the war? There is the footages but no sound.
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
They didn't have microphones on them
Yes they did have video in the 20s and 30s. but no sound
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:37 am

legallyblonde wrote:I run mine in non-snow weather in front of my with the sledding harnesses and the same lines I use for skijoring. It actually has a name too--bikejoring. The local MUSH club is going to have a 'dry rig' run this fall where they run sled dogs hooked to wheeled rigs and they'll have bikejoring and cani-cross classes too.
Awesome offseason fun. The dogs really get into it too. The dog has to be mature (>2 years old) to prevent joint damage.

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:25 pm

We got into this discussion on another board. I believe doing a lot of pulling will build muscle.
I am not so sure it will enhance the graceful run we like to see. This pulling type of running is
different than when the dog is running free. Different muscles used in different ways.

Sort of like sprinters bodies compared to long distance runners. Different.

I realize a lot of trainers now, and in the past, do some sort of resistance pulling/roading but I just
believe lots of free running is better in the long run. Also the stress on the hips and knees could
develop in to a problem with this type of exercise.

JMHO

Mike

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:10 pm

MHWH wrote:We got into this discussion on another board. I believe doing a lot of pulling will build muscle.
I am not so sure it will enhance the graceful run we like to see. This pulling type of running is
different than when the dog is running free. Different muscles used in different ways.

Sort of like sprinters bodies compared to long distance runners. Different.

I realize a lot of trainers now, and in the past, do some sort of resistance pulling/roading but I just
believe lots of free running is better in the long run. Also the stress on the hips and knees could
develop in to a problem with this type of exercise.

JMHO

Mike
It's a worthy discussion for sure. My opinion would be some resistance training, and some free running - heck, I'd add swimming as well, especially in the desert. Delmar Smith talked about trial dogs needing resistance for the extra cardio they would need. Bottom line is that the human needs to be very observant of the dogs and take care that they are always well hydrated and watch for heat exhaustion. Around here from April through October, heat is a potential killer of driven dogs.

There are several pro's on this board - maybe someone can offer up their conditioning regime for their dogs?

It is quite a rush to be racing along being pulled by a 60-70 pound track star, I'll say that!! :D

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Bo Dixie's Rocky below my signature is owned by John Perry. Rocky is the sire of two of my dogs (Spot & Ellie). Non-purebred offspring of Rocky's (intentional breeding) were part of a World Champion Sprint Sled Dog Team owned & run by John. Rocky was at the time one of the last surviving grandson's of Dixieland's Rusty (GSPCA & NGSPA HoF). A number of other HoF dogs are in the background as well. I think an accomplishment like that just adds to their legacy & indicates how sound some of the earlier breedings were. It also indicates how well dogs' muscles & frames are put together to adapt to all the different athletic activities they so enthusiastically pursue.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it