GSP's escaping

trasmuson3

GSP's escaping

Post by trasmuson3 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 pm

I have no proof behind this or anything, I was just reading somewhere about how GSP's tend to escape a lot, but that it is more common for a male to escape out of a dog run than a female. This is probably a really stupid question because I don't see why that would be true in any way, but I thought I would ask those who have experience with this since I don't, but will be having here in a couple of months when we pick up our pup.

fishvik

Re: GSP's escaping

Post by fishvik » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 pm

My GSP female will go over a 6' wood fence with no trouble and I've watch a couple of others of that breed do the same with no trouble.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm

One of my females would probably never jump or scale a fence. The other one is a jumper and a climber. I've winced when she's jumped fences afield, and I won't leave her unattended in my front yard. I don't think she could jump a 6' fence, but mine is only 4'6". I get more worried about her climbing ability, as when she's determined, she will try to scale things. I had never seen a dog climb a ladder until her, when she followed my husband half way up the attic ladder to the storage space above the garage. And then there's the day when I was chain sawing in the timber and looked around to see my dog 15' in the air. She had climbed up a large broken tree limb and was surveying the landscape. I don't think it's particular to shorthairs, but more of a desire, fearlessness, or other character trait...and once they figure something out, they will repeat. :wink:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm

My dog was in a friends back yard with a 6-7 block wall. My dog jumped on top and ran down 3 houses, into someone's back yard, through the open garage door, onto the street... One mile down the road she passed university of phoenix stadium, a security hard saw her pass, followed her into a field on the other side of the 101 freeway and caught her in a cotton field.

Easiest $400.00 reward he had ever received.

2 weeks crate rest for destroyed pads and nails.

Escape artists yes. Some pedigrees have more than others.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Is there anyway to train them not to do these things, or would that make a negative response to prey drive and that kind of stuff? I imagine it would.

Chris_MI

Post by Chris_MI » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:18 pm

My GSP has never jumped the fence in my yard. In the field is another story. Also, I have a round 4' patio table that's probably just over 3' high. She jumps up on that and can stick her landing so that she doesn't fall off the other side. It's literally is almost like she has a vertical leap. She also loves the kids playscape.

I think the most important thing is just to make sure they get alot of exercise.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah, get a smarter dog like a vizsla and tell them not to do it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think all breeds are prone to it. Put a cap on the kennel.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:30 pm

ultracarry wrote:My dog was in a friends back yard with a 6-7 block wall. My dog jumped on top and ran down 3 houses, into someone's back yard, through the open garage door, onto the street... One mile down the road she passed university of phoenix stadium, a security hard saw her pass, followed her into a field on the other side of the 101 freeway and caught her in a cotton field.

Easiest $400.00 reward he had ever received.

2 weeks crate rest for destroyed pads and nails.

Escape artists yes. Some pedigrees have more than others.
"$400 Reward, Cell phone #" on collar? Great idea and worked like a champ.

Don't you think the main reason GSP's are escape artists is that they are so "bleep" athletic?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Btw I had just got back from a hunt test and she had a tracking collar on and not the reg collar.... When u took the tracking collar off and and went to my truck to get her normal coller she jumped... Nothing to id her.

She was tied to a tree. The goal coach said he would take her and a player from the phoenix coyotes had said they would take her if her owner didn't show... She is chipped though.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:23 pm

wems2371 wrote:One of my females would probably never jump or scale a fence. The other one is a jumper and a climber. I've winced when she's jumped fences afield, and I won't leave her unattended in my front yard. I don't think she could jump a 6' fence, but mine is only 4'6". I get more worried about her climbing ability, as when she's determined, she will try to scale things. I had never seen a dog climb a ladder until her, when she followed my husband half way up the attic ladder to the storage space above the garage. And then there's the day when I was chain sawing in the timber and looked around to see my dog 15' in the air. She had climbed up a large broken tree limb and was surveying the landscape. I don't think it's particular to shorthairs, but more of a desire, fearlessness, or other character trait...and once they figure something out, they will repeat. :wink:
Right on!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Desire and Drive. I have one Shorthair that clears a 6 foot fence wooden, brick, chain link...you name it and she is over it. Chews through kennels, opens latches,etc. Last time she chewed through a plastic crate, she was in the horse trailer and I looked over and she was pulling herself up and holding her head through the stock panels watching us shoot pigeons. My brother found both of my dogs screaming down the woodline along a 4 lane, thank God for the edges.

I'll be posting on Rat Poison shortly with the latest escape which was last week.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:06 pm

trasmuson3 wrote:Is there anyway to train them not to do these things, or would that make a negative response to prey drive and that kind of stuff? I imagine it would.

E-collar/underground fence,run the wires on top of fence.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Sorry back to the OP...
Ralph Ford wrote:E-collar/underground fence,run the wires on top of fence.
Ditto. I had to put an underground fence in. Then once the puppies came and they started to dig and collars, and batteries were getting $$$ I put in cow fencing on the wooden fence. Works great and they don't go near it. On a good note......much less expensive. Wife says "What about the Kids?" Dad says "They'll only touch it once!" Youngest is 12, she's old enough to know not to touch it.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:57 pm

I had a female ES that liked to jump fences. As others also have mentioned on this site, I set up an electric fence wire about 14" off the ground and about a foot inside the chain link fence, purchased a "canine" electric fence controller (not the cattle version). The female ES touched it once & never went near it again. I unplugged it after two days. The Brit in my avatar was an escape artist, climbed, chewed, whatever it took. He came home after an escape and you can see the result. I have seven GSPs, all related. Only one male tries to escape, his preferred method is to dig & wiggle underneath a fence. His dam, littermates, half-sisters & cousin that I have don't try to escape. So it'd be hard for me to say it's in certain lines. I'd say it's more of an individual thing.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Mines been 8 to 10 foot high in trees chasing squirrels. Scares the crap out of me every time.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:07 am

My male can scale a fence and be gone in a heart beat. I put up a big beautiful 6'6" wood privacy fence last summer, and all he wants to do is jump it to see what's on the other side. :evil:
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:27 am

I had a male Brittany in a 6 ft. high kennel that never tried to escape unless I took one of the females hunting. I would be loading up the female into the dog box, and there would be the male jumping up on the tailgate. After this happened several times, I watched him as the dogs were loaded. He would go to the gate, run towards the side fence, leap about half way up, push off to the rear fence but farther up , push off that fence, and over the top of the left side fence. He got a top fence after that. If I didn't take him he barked until I got back home. Drove the wife nuts. She say's it was a short trip, anyway.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 am

We have 6 GSP's, 1 Vizsla and a 4' fence. One of the GSP's is a climber, it doesn't matter how tall the fence is he'll try to climb it. He was the first to climb out of the whelping box, only one out of the puppy pen and only one to go over the fence. Never had problems with the others going over although they've tried going under. We ran a hot wire around the top of the fence and he will still occasionally test it, if he finds that it's off he's over it and gone hunting.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42 am

stlgsp wrote:We have 6 GSP's, 1 Vizsla and a 4' fence. One of the GSP's is a climber, it doesn't matter how tall the fence is he'll try to climb it. He was the first to climb out of the whelping box, only one out of the puppy pen and only one to go over the fence. Never had problems with the others going over although they've tried going under. We ran a hot wire around the top of the fence and he will still occasionally test it, if he finds that it's off he's over it and gone hunting.
Your post mentioning about climbing out of the whelping box reminds me of a sad occasion and a warning to others.

I had a 5 gallon bucket sitting tight up against the whelping box for mom to get a drink. Overnight one of the Gordon Setter pups picked that exact spot where the bucket was to climb over and in the morning I found it lifeless in about 2 inches of water, dead from hypothermia. Or the mom may have put it there if it was sick.

At any rate, do not put a bucket up against a whelping box, or better yet use a shallow bowl for watering. Lesson learned the hard way.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Vision

Post by Vision » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:54 am

I had one that was impossible to keep in but that was in the good old days when there were fields all around and I would see her hunting around. She would come home in a few days when she was hungry.

To really solve the problem get a concrete run, heavy duty kennel with an extra panel for the top and you should be good.

Some people call lack of desire and birdiness smart, be careful who you buy from.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:28 pm

I had a lab that would walk the lenthg of our picket fence and hit each picket with his nose until he found a loose one... then he would pop right out between the pickets! :lol: He was always easy to find tho... Just drive thru town and listen for kids playing, or he would be down in the creek frolicking in the water! :lol: My fence has fallen into disrepair since he died because I havn't had to check the pickets every week! :oops:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:23 pm

If that was some cheap shot at me, I'm gonna let that roll. Any person on here who has ever seen MY vizslas would NEVER question their desire. They just know it's a good idea not to piss ME off :lol:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 pm

??? huh? :|
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln