Deer Feeders

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Deer Feeders

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:45 pm

How many of you have ever seen a deer feeder setup in a Grouse woods, either on public, NF, or private lands? Bet not too many.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Deer Feeders

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Never been to the grouse woods, so wouldn't have seen a deer feeder there, but if you need to get rid of one ever, I have a horse I can loan you. He has terminated two with extreme prejudice in the past couple of months.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jeff gruennert

Post by jeff gruennert » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:23 pm

casey, deer feeder or deer if deer please tell more that sounds awesome

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:28 am

what is unusual about deer feeders in the grouse woods? I must be missing something

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:How many of you have ever seen a deer feeder setup in a Grouse woods, either on public, NF, or private lands? Bet not too many.
strange question :roll: we have 49 feeders in grouse woods here in western clinton county.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:07 pm

HB,
We have about 50 here in Potter/Tioga, I can almost see the 1st one on SGL 208 from the edge of my land. Course we do live back in the Tioga Forest.
Winters get rough here from time to time and they do get used.
RGD/Dave

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:00 am

One of the reasons for my question about deer feeders in "grouse woods" is on another forum and I believe one on this forum complains of all the deer feeders attracting other critters that harm grouse reproduction. I mainly hunt grouse in Ohio (since mid 70's), occasionally in PA where my wife is from, and have never seen an automatic feeder set up, although my hunting is normally on state forest, Wayne NF, or Mead-Westvaco land. They are only legal in Ohio on private land, where I never grouse hunt. Once in a while I see a spot where someone has dumped a bag of corn, but no feeders.
In WI, I understand auto feeders are banned because of chronic wasting disease (CWD).
Personally, I could care less, as grouse will eat corn and that is good unless the feeder is in an area of no cover. One of my favorite places to hunt grouse was alongside a cornfield in the grape tangles. The squirrels would pull off ears of corn and drag it into the woods and not eat it all. Harvested many a grouse with crops full of corn.

For a look at different state laws on this check out:

http://lucky-buck.com/baitinglaws.html
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:31 pm

hawks will sit near feeders to get birds.
i used to take on stateforestland here in western clinton county and put out corn etc to attract in grouse so i could train toby my lab.
it worked great.

i could go out each day and toby would get 2 to 6 birds to train on.
then i started seeing HAWKS sitting in trees along pipelines.
THEY WERE KILLING THE GROUSE!
i was pissed and stopped feeding the grouse to train.
i now do it along roads in clinton and up thru potter near croosforks.but no feeding anymore.

i am, getting puppy and will be taking him out ROAD HUNTING training before season opens, not much just get him used to grouse smells etc.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:One of the reasons for my question about deer feeders in "grouse woods" is on another forum and I believe one on this forum complains of all the deer feeders attracting other critters that harm grouse reproduction. I mainly hunt grouse in Ohio (since mid 70's), occasionally in PA where my wife is from, and have never seen an automatic feeder set up, although my hunting is normally on state forest, Wayne NF, or Mead-Westvaco land. They are only legal in Ohio on private land, where I never grouse hunt. Once in a while I see a spot where someone has dumped a bag of corn, but no feeders.
In WI, I understand auto feeders are banned because of chronic wasting disease (CWD).
Personally, I could care less, as grouse will eat corn and that is good unless the feeder is in an area of no cover. One of my favorite places to hunt grouse was alongside a cornfield in the grape tangles. The squirrels would pull off ears of corn and drag it into the woods and not eat it all. Harvested many a grouse with crops full of corn.

For a look at different state laws on this check out:

http://lucky-buck.com/baitinglaws.html

here in pa you cant put out bait 31 days before season opens for small game or big game.