Dog pen ideas

birdguy321

Dog pen ideas

Post by birdguy321 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I am looking to build a 2 dog kennel/pen sometime
In the neer future looking. For ideas how is wooden deck good flooring? Or should i wate and use plastic lumberI like the shed type but the
Shed people want to much I plan on building the dog pen my self don't know what to build
Dog will be in house when I home at night day is out in pen
What would you build don't want dogs on ground so they don't drag it inside what kind of flooring for the dog house
What kind of pen wire/ chainlink or something else I currently have a heavy wire kennel from tractor supply 5x10 ft
I bought extra pan eps to make it a 10x 10 ft
With a wooden deck floor for my current dogI want to get another dog sometime
What would you suggest should the house be climate controlled? Any ideas

reba

Re: Dog pen ideas

Post by reba » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Chain link on smooth concrete.

Chain link kennels can be bought. Pour the concrete slab slighty bigger and set the kennel on top.

Lots of water and shade; but dogs also like to lay in the sun.

birdguy321

Post by birdguy321 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I would like to beable to do the hole pen myself
I don't like working with concrete

How is the plastic board floor
How is the plastic kennel flooring?

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Birdguy321,
Reba gives sound advise, good chain link and Concrete, smooth so you can hose off the waste, keep the Chain link at least 2 1/2" above the concrete, slant your concrete for clean out and engineer a clean out ditch at the back of your kennel. Back and front doors on each kennel section and walk thru kennel doors in the mid sections to allow access to all sections of the kennel. This kennel has 6 holding sections, with housing in each section and a big dog shed with side breeding pen, at the end of the last kennel section.
We also recommend a dog shower and grooming station, for caring for your gun dogs.
RGD/Dave

Our 40 yrd x 25 yrd Chain Link kennels in the Tioga Forest.

Gun Dog shower & Grooming station.

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:23 am

Ryman gun dog.
Nice set up ! I like the cleaning station idea. Now I have to see where I can put one here.
Great job !

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:13 am

Max2,
Thanks for the nice comment, the cleaning stations are not hard to constuct if you know how to plumb, I actually used the base of an old shower stall for the floor of my gun dog shower, have had no problems with it cracking, even as cold as it get here in Potter/Tioga.
Engineering the hook up bar over top was more of a problem than all the rest of the construction. Remember to use life time high grade hardware if you plan an outside set up, use good stainless Steel/Synthetic spray equipment also with detachable fittings so you can take the hose and spray equipment inside during the winter. The life time stuff is not cheap now!
Good luck with your constuction.

Birdguy321,
Nothing beats concrete, however we have used the new synthetic decking and had decent kennels with it. It will eventuallly wear and the waste will stick to it however, it does clean up decently if you keep after it. Remember to leave enough space between the synthetic boards to have the kennel drain properly, again make sure to keep the good Chain Link fencing 2 1/2" above the decking floor,
for clean out purposes, make sure to constuct the deck floor on a slight slant for proper drainage. Use good high grade fencing, old welded type, galvenized is what we have, built in the 60's it has not degraded like the newer lighter grade stuff available today. Some fence companies still build like this today, finding one is the problem however. Using the Lowe's kennel type fencing is ok if you want the maintance that goes along with it.
Good luck with your construction

RGD/Dave

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:16 am

at least 2 1/2" above the concrete
What are you using to get the panel off the concrete so that the water run off can get under easily?

Misu

Post by Misu » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 am

Hi! We're finally building our dog her own play yard. Its going to be a fenced enclosure, currently grass, partially sunny and partially shady. Any ideas what to lay down on the ground for her to pee/poop on? Her pee ruins grass and turns it into a smelly mud slick, and the idea is to make it easy to clean up after her and not have her track poop on her very furry feet. We were thinking of laying down straw or wood chips. Its close to the back door so ideally it would be easy to scoop so we can pick it up and it won't stink up the back door area. Any ideas? Right now she goes on the grass and its soooo gross picking it up out of grass....just makes a huge sticky mess no matter how we scoop it