How far do you travel for hunting preserves?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: How far do you travel for hunting preserves?

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:45 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen,
I use to help run a Regulated Shoting Grounds, it was 45 miles from the house, that place is long gone. We now train 90% on wild Grouse and finish on our own land in Potter/Tioga. We no longer travel to do any planted bird work with our dogs.
RGD/Dave
If you never use them then this topic dorsn't pertain to you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:51 am

cjhills wrote:
Elkhunter wrote:
codym wrote:Chukar hunting is hard Josh duh!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!
I hunt northern Montana. Mostly huns and sharptrails. Bird counts were way down last year after the worst winter in years across the northern plains. This last winter will help. It don't make alot of difference to me. I can live without alot of birds and I have dogs that cover alot of country to find what are there. It is 900 miles to where I hunt and if I take my trailer I get about 6 mpg in the mountains. Maybe 10 crossing North Dakota. Again that don't make alot of difference to me. It's part of the kennel expenses.
But the fact is every body can't go west and everybody don't have the dogs and equipment or the desire to hunt where you walk 15 or 20 miles a day. Most starters want birds.
Most people with 2 or 3 kids they want to take hunting are going to have to go to a preserve.
Good or bad it's what it is and it beats watching hunting shows on TV.
CJ

Oh we find birds! MT to me is west, so you are here! I have no desire to walk 15-20 miles, that's what the dogs are for.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 pm

If ,as you said in another topic your dogs go balls to the wall for three hours how far do you go?
Last edited by cjhills on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_possum

Post by the_possum » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
I use to help run a Regulated Shoting Grounds, it was 45 miles from the house, that place is long gone. We now train 90% on wild Grouse and finish on our own land in Potter/Tioga. We no longer travel to do any planted bird work with our dogs.
RGD/Dave

Ezzy
how does the quote go?

i don't have to have drowned to know that i wouldn't like it?

something like that anyway.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:08 pm

cjhills wrote:If ,as you said in another topic your dogs go balls to the wall for three hours how far do you go?
I would say maybe 4-7 miles. Its pretty steep, dogs will bail off into side canyons etc while we hoof it up the hill. And ya just wait till ya hear the beep on the Garmin.

This is the usual chukar terrain, we went up to the top and were about 1/3 from the bottom when we got this covey pointed

As you can see its pretty steep, so walking up that crap for 2-3 hours you don't get too far. But luckily there are side ridges and saddles that the dogs bail off of to hunt. You just try to get to the top and stay on the ridges and let the dogs do most of the running. That is why I like a dog that works very fast and does not pace itself, after 2-3 hours you are pretty exhausted so I don't really have the need for a dog to be on the ground much longer than that. You can always swap out another fresh dog and do it again if your hungry for it!

Here are a few more examples of the country, you can see the white dog on point n the middle of the ridge. When coveys are spread out you want the dogs on the move.

Nice little find, truck is parked at the bottom.... :( Chukar hunting is not for the faint of heart, man or beast! Big country.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:34 pm

This is pretty similar to what We hunt around Great Falls,Mt. I run 6 or 7 dogs at a time. Try to stay on top and let them hunt the sides and bottoms of the coulees. They range about a half mile or so out. We usually take our lunch and water and go all day. I don't like snakes so we wait til mid October.

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:56 pm

In Utah there are several preserves around the state and for years the best were out in Roosevelt about 130 miles or so from Salt Lake. They were very popular 20-30 years ago. Now that there are very few places to find wild pheasants here (without paying to trespass) the preserves have popped up. The closest one is maybe 30 minutes from SL. They fill a niche for guys that don't have time to travel to other states, or are not motivated to hunt chukars for whatever reason. They will probably only get more popular with time.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:02 pm

I really like how this topic has went too! I know there are some guys from colorado on here and alot of our clients are from there.The reason why alot of the guys just like alot of the reason why alot of people go to preserves is the dont want to knock on doors and walk and walk and walk! Alot of the public ground there is stomped all to heck or is leased up! So they come to a preserve where habitat has been left for the birds and they are stocked to making things easier and somebody else has to do the dog thing(some have them though).Where I live alot of guys hunt there own stuff or ground is leases up so it makes it tuff if you dont know someone for the city guys intown.

IMO if someone like myself who raises dog and sells them and I saw dam and sire are used as guide dogs, it say to me if i was looking at the dogs forsale it say the dogs has birds over its head and it should know what its doing, and the owner sell the pups from them should know the dogs characteristcs pretty well.I say it in my adds and when people ask about my dogs.I also let people know if they think that when a pup is 14 to 16 weeks old and they are going to be cheaper, wrong it means they are going to gt trained and get more exspensive cuase I dont let puppies sit idle waiting for buyers I start them.

Got to remember alot of people dont have dogs but like to hunt so thats what preserves are for too.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:37 pm

tfbirddog2 wrote:alot of the reason why alot of people go to preserves is the dont want to knock on doors and walk and walk and walk!
they come to a preserve where habitat has been left for the birds and they are stocked to making things easier
I couldn't agree more.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 am

http://www.hardinggamebirds.com/

Tried this place 3 or 4 times this year when time was limited and wanted to get the pup into some birds for the work. We had fun each time we went, but it is not wild bird hunting. For dog training and a short trip with a couple friends it is well worth it. Plus most of them start before local bird seasons ( good for tuning dog up) and run way after local season closes (that way you don't have to hang the gun up so soon). One down side, I would never use any game farm quail again. Many of them didnt fly well or at all, after the dog caught one or two I decided we were done with that! Good way to form a bad habit with the pup I was thinking. Oh and the place is about an hour away, would not drive much further than that to pay to hunt birds.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:38 am

Really good how this post went. Nobody got beat up,everybody got to put in their thought and it was informative. Need more like this.
CJ

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I was worried this topic might go south when I started it but really wanted to know about how much and ect.. bout what preserves that folks on here used.Basically to really sum it up about paying to hunt.

PFp, habitat is the main reason for preserves due to clean farming practices! That opinion comes from someone who is a P.F board member, hunter, guide,rural power company employee, and wildlife conservator! When you really look at the lodge I guide for is pretty well responsible for most of the ringneck population for about 4 miles in each direction from our property cuase we have the resources for the birds and releasing birds too!
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:53 pm

tfbirddog2 wrote:I really like how this topic has went too! I know there are some guys from colorado on here and alot of our clients are from there.The reason why alot of the guys just like alot of the reason why alot of people go to preserves is the dont want to knock on doors and walk and walk and walk! Alot of the public ground there is stomped all to heck or is leased up! So they come to a preserve where habitat has been left for the birds and they are stocked to making things easier and somebody else has to do the dog thing(some have them though).Where I live alot of guys hunt there own stuff or ground is leases up so it makes it tuff if you dont know someone for the city guys intown.

IMO if someone like myself who raises dog and sells them and I saw dam and sire are used as guide dogs, it say to me if i was looking at the dogs forsale it say the dogs has birds over its head and it should know what its doing, and the owner sell the pups from them should know the dogs characteristcs pretty well.I say it in my adds and when people ask about my dogs.I also let people know if they think that when a pup is 14 to 16 weeks old and they are going to be cheaper, wrong it means they are going to gt trained and get more exspensive cuase I dont let puppies sit idle waiting for buyers I start them.

Got to remember alot of people dont have dogs but like to hunt so thats what preserves are for too.
The reason I expressed my opinion on how people tote their success as a guide dog, any decently bred dog should be able to go out and point planted birds on a bird farm. I want to know a dog can get it done on wild birds all the time. There is a HUGE difference between a dog pointed birds on a preserve and a dog pointing wild birds. Especially in my area where we are surrounded by wild birds, I want to know the dog can point and handle those birds, not a planted bird on a farm. JMO.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm

In the same vein i want to know my dog will remain solid no matter what kind of nonsense ensues in front of it as well as show the biddability and brains needed to consistently play the preserve game and hunt the country presented to him. I also want to only own the dog that finds and does his job on any day put down, heat , rain, sleet , snow , good and poor scenting conditions. You often don't have the luxury of picking and choosing your hunting days guiding on a preserve. Thats a dog i can go kill wild birds over anytime i want too (given exposure)........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:09 pm

the_possum wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
RGD/Dave

Ezzy
how does the quote go?

i don't have to have drowned to know that i wouldn't like it?

something like that anyway.
I think it goes like this, how far do you travel to get to a hunting preserve
and the answer is I don't travel to do any planted bird work.
Think you have to travel if you are going to answer the question.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:36 pm

I only travel a couple miles but I think these shooting preserves serve a good purpose, sometimes I get to guide older men that cant walk all day, or folks with special needs or wounded warriors, or just a young hunter that need some fast paced action, is it wild bird hunting not even close, can you kill 500 birds over a pup his first year afield in the wild, it would be hard, different strokes for different folks,
great thread
Fester

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:46 pm

40 minutes to the phez club to guide with my dog. Pays for some trials.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:54 pm

The reason I expressed my opinion on how people tote their success as a guide dog, any decently bred dog should be able to go out and point planted birds on a bird farm. I want to know a dog can get it done on wild birds all the time. There is a HUGE difference between a dog pointed birds on a preserve and a dog pointing wild birds. Especially in my area where we are surrounded by wild birds, I want to know the dog can point and handle those birds, not a planted bird on a farm. JMO.
+1. I also expressed my opinion on a preserve guide dog by saying that a dog for sale advertised as a preserve guide dog means nothing to me. By saying that, I mean no disrespect whatsoever. I only mean that a preserve dog doesn't really have to be that well trained [not saying that yours are not]. In most cases, all that matters is that the dog does well enough for the client to get a shot at the bird. I am not knocking it at all, just saying that I would have to know a lot more about the dog than the fact that it is a guide dog for a preserve. Just let me say that I sometimes guide for a preserve, but if I had a dog for sale, I doubt that I would even mention it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:21 pm

birddogger wrote:
+1. I also expressed my opinion on a preserve guide dog by saying that a dog for sale advertised as a preserve guide dog means nothing to me. By saying that, I mean no disrespect whatsoever. I only mean that a preserve dog doesn't really have to be that well trained [not saying that yours are not]. In most cases, all that matters is that the dog does well enough for the client to get a shot at the bird. I am not knocking it at all, just saying that I would have to know a lot more about the dog than the fact that it is a guide dog for a preserve. Just let me say that I sometimes guide for a preserve, but if I had a dog for sale, I doubt that I would even mention it.

Charlie
I would mention it anytime. I have found that a birddog is a birddog and doesn't care how they got where they are. But if your dog is going to be a good guide dog then it has to stay close and be steady on the point or you probably won't be asked again. Nice thing about hunting the native birds is you usually have more room to let the dogs work in. I have never found that hunting on a perserve was something to be ashamed of.

Ezzy

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 pm

I've gone to preserves within 30 minutes and up to 1 1/2 hours away, mainly just to try new places. The purpose for going has been purely for fun in the off season. As somebody above said, the preserve season opens earlier and closes later than wild bird season. Some of the dog/habitat/hunting clubs that I am affiliated with organize fun hunts on preserves. For a couple of years we did a "Super Bowl" hunt on the morning of the super bowl. Two groups, same number of birds put out in two fields. At the end of the hunt we added up the birds bagged with point values, 2pts for quail, 3pts for chukar, 7pts for pheasant to name a "winning team" for bragging rights only. Other times I have gone was to introduce new hunters to upland bird hunting with guaranteed bird contacts. Most of the birds I have hunted on these preserves are for sure not the same as wild, but I haven't really had a problem with dogs catching birds. Bird prices around here are around $7 for quail, $10 for chukar, and $14 for pheasant. I don't pay any annual dues, but usually a $20/gun half-day fee.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:49 pm

That right there Charlie is the difference between the same ole preserve shoot and an awesome time , if its not about the dog work it aint worth doin. JMHO.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm

I would mention it anytime. I have found that a birddog is a birddog and doesn't care how they got where they are. But if your dog is going to be a good guide dog then it has to stay close and be steady on the point or you probably won't be asked again. Nice thing about hunting the native birds is you usually have more room to let the dogs work in. I have never found that hunting on a perserve was something to be ashamed of.

Ezzy
Nope, nothing at all to be ashamed of. Just saying that a dog doesn't have to be that well trained to satisfy clients that are getting plenty of shooting opportunities. In other words, if the dog will hold until the shooter is close enough for a shot, it is probably good enough for a lot of people. Let me back up on the comment that I probably wouldn't mention it. I did not mean that it was a bad thing, and there would be nothing wrong with mentioning it, but that alone does not determine how good or what the dog may be worth.

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 pm

birddog1968 wrote:That right there Charlie is the difference between the same ole preserve shoot and an awesome time , if its not about the dog work it aint worth doin. JMHO.
Ya, whether I am on wild birds or on a preserve, it's all about the dog work for me.

Charlie

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:06 am

For guide dogs, I only found a few people I would work my dog for. I flat refused to let some people hunt with my dog because of ethical / safety reasons. The owner gets requests for my dog and calls me. If I don't like the person because their name is in my note pad under never again I'm busy that day. I'll let someone else use their dog.

The people I have used my dog for didn't start off liking a bigger running dog but they warmed up to it. They appreciated having a completely steady dog, stop to flush, retrieve to hand, but allowed me to retrieve a lot of the birds. The perserves are great for a free training tool, and to get gas money or entry fees for trials, tests, or to do your own hunts.

But I have watched some horrible dog work by a "trainer" and saw him put his arms up in the air with a lot of birds left in the field and none for his clients. Breaking on birds, stealing point to have the birds ripped out and dogs giving up after 20 min and plodding around. Should have brought a few beers and watched the show because it was a train wreck.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:48 am

birddogger wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:That right there Charlie is the difference between the same ole preserve shoot and an awesome time , if its not about the dog work it aint worth doin. JMHO.
Ya, whether I am on wild birds or on a preserve, it's all about the dog work for me.

Charlie
So true

Ezzy

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 am

Ezzy,
Never presume to tell another man when to speak, you might read the my post again. Having helped run a regulated Shooting Grounds
for many years I advised how far I traveled each week to use the facilities. Further because of posts like the one you just made, you have no businesss being a monitor on this forum, you seem to think you can use the postition to try to intimidate other members.
You will never intimidate me, I will speak when I want, and say what I want too. I participate when and where I want too.
RGD/Dave