How far do you travel for hunting preserves?

tfbirddog2

How far do you travel for hunting preserves?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 pm

How far away by driving or flying does anyone travel when going or looking at your traditional or new hunting lodges? What is point A to point B? Why do you go there? What are you paying for the whole hunt? How many birds are you allowed for the price? Im just curious to what guys are you looking for ect....
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

TraditionsGSPs2010

Re: How far do you travel for hunting preserves?

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm

I live 2 hours north of St. Louis and have 6 preserves within 60 minutes of my house with the closest being 20 minutes away. They all seem to have some sort of pheasant package for about $25/bird and then some variation of quail or chuker as well. The most expensive place is an Orvis endorsed lodge where you have to take your boots off to get in the door... Never been there and probably never will on my dime. It's just not my bag. My favorite sells a 4/4/4 pheasant/chuker/quail package for $160 a pop. You get a hot lunch, snacks, lots of cold beer and great stories at the end of the day.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm

I need to force myself into trying it once. Maybe it will change my perception on them. Probably not.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Wow $25 a bird, where I guide we are $120 half day,(8 quail, or 4 phes, chuckar to mix in for count and bag), $385 for full day (10 phes,or 10 quail chuckar to mix in too, 1 chuckar counts for 1 phes or 2 quail) any bird over the paid limit is $17 a pheasent-$13 a chuckar,$10 a quail. If you want a guide for the day or half aday it $100. Full day gets you a nights stay 3 meals, cold beer and drinks ect... We clean the bird for you for a fee too.
The Orvis lodges is just a name and you have to pay them $10k ayear to my knowledge to have their name.
PFire come up and try us out not to far for you to drive, and work your EP's.
I have seen alot of lodges on tv, and they all are the same MOST of the time bobtail roosters pointed by dogs running along mowed strips of grass.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 pm

tfbirddog2 wrote:Wow $25 a bird, where I guide we are $120 half day,(8 quail, or 4 phes, chuckar to mix in for count and bag), $385 for full day (10 phes,or 10 quail chuckar to mix in too, 1 chuckar counts for 1 phes or 2 quail) any bird over the paid limit is $17 a pheasent-$13 a chuckar,$10 a quail. If you want a guide for the day or half aday it $100. Full day gets you a nights stay 3 meals, cold beer and drinks ect... We clean the bird for you for a fee too.
Wow that $25 is cheap or expensive?

PFP, perserves really don't come close to the real thing but I use them to take customers too. For those who don't have healthy wild bird numbers close by, they are great to take first timers and those who do not get a chance to get out a lot. For the situations I described, they work nicely.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 pm

I'll take a new dog or a new hunter to one that is about 15 miles away from me. For $70(per gunner) they will either put out 5 hens or 3 roosters per hunter(hunter's choice of birds) for you---if you shoot over what they put out for you it is $12 a bird(rooster or hen). If you take a young hunter(under 15) with you they will put out 1 rooster and 2 hens for $35 for the younger hunter. We buy our pheasants for our Pheasants Forever youth/mentor hunts from him for $10 a rooster. I don't know what he charges for a guide(really don't need one on his place). If you are dogless, I think he charges around $35 to use his shorthair. He doesn't have overnight lodging, but does have a clubhouse where you can BS and get a pop.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 am

$25 to me I guess is high per bird.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 am

$30/phez $18/chukar $12/quail

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 am

We have about 4 different preserves, with in about an hour drive of me, but I mainly only use one. I like them for working young dogs in their first season, and for a quick preseason tune up. We give $17 a phez he will put out 1/2 and 1/2 hens vs roosters. His chuckar are a little less and his quail are $7.50 a bird, and anything you shoot over what you pay for is a gimme.

I have been to preserves, where you had to throw the birds in the air and others where you needed running shoes and a turkey choke. You just have to do what yo can sometimes.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am

I have three shooting preserves withing 30 minutes from me. Also have three state preserves. So, I get to go pheasant and quail hunting from Sept. to Feb.

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:04 pm

The preserve I guide on gets 50.00 a gun that's 3 pheasants mixed or 6 quail extra birds are 14 and 6 dollars if you kill over you just got luck
Fester

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:36 pm

tfbirddog2 wrote:$25 to me I guess is high per bird.
$120 for four pheasants seems like $30 per bird by my math.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

cjhills wrote:
tfbirddog2 wrote:$25 to me I guess is high per bird.
cjhills wrote:
$120 for four pheasants seems like $30 per bird by my math.
I thought I was missing some thing but I guess I wasn't the only one. $385 for a full day (10 phes) = $38.50/bird last I checked.

Maybe I am missing something too :?

At any rate, I think if you are paying anything less $20/pheasant for planted birds, you are doing OK.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 pm

45 min drive, $400 per year membership to run your own dogs, $10 per quail, minimum of 10 birds preplanted, extras are gimmies.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:25 am

I have about 6 within a 1 hour drive from me. All are around $17-$20 per bird for pheasant for non members. Members prices are better. One that I join, if you pay early in spring for $425 you get 30 pheasant and a membership which gets you full use of fields for training, ponds, clubhouse, dog cleaning, bird cleaning facility. Releases are minimum 4 birds per hunter and extra birds taken are atta boys, no charge.!! Hunts are half days 8-12 and 1-5. Book an afternoon hunt and you are almost guaranteed extra birds. I like them because I don't get enough vacation time to hunt as I would like, also great for taking out new hunters as you know there is game and they will see some action. With pointers you can talk a new hunter through the entire scenario from safety to shooting the bird. I also guide occasionally for friends that entertain clients for business purposes. When you live in the city it is about the only choice you have.

Prairie: What is your perception?

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 am

I think theres 5 or 6 within an hour drive of me. average cost is $139 per person that gets 4 phes/ 6 chukar/ or 10 quail, membership dues are 300 a year and get you and your friends discounted hunts and free drinks and bird cleaning as well as use of clubhouse for parties. The big show me birds farm is just a little over an hours drive never checked it out though

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:I need to force myself into trying it once. Maybe it will change my perception on them. Probably not.
I've done two of them, and from a hunting perspective they were EXTREMELY disappointing, for training I suppose it didn't hurt.

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 am

I guided at a couple preserves in Prairie Fire's back yard, and it seemed like most of the people that were out there wanted to make sure they bagged every bird they paid for and didn't care if it made it into a "canned hunt." Those type of hunts were good to get young people into upland hunting, but were not even close to being realistic pheasant hunts.

Now, if someone didn't care about how many birds they bagged, we could set it up in a different field, that would require more walking, blocking and better dog work. Just like in a wild hunt, birds were not guaranteed, but it was the next best thing to a true wild bird hunt.

Most people just had a hard time paying for a non-guaranteed hunt.

the_possum

Post by the_possum » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 am

I can't say I've ever had the experience of hunting on a preserve but if that was my only option it would be better than nothing I suppose.

One of the things about an actual hunt (and I suppose to an extent this may apply to a preserve hunt) is everything that goes along with it. Not knowing what success you'll have, tromping through the poplars with the dog bell tinkling in front of you, sitting on the tailgate covered with stickers and burrs, drinking a Coke while you pull off ticks the dog is all watered up laying in the shade...

My best hunting memories, especially as a kid, don't have nearly as much to do with shooting the birds as they do with what goes along with it. I just have a hard time picturing it being as special in a contrived situation with people planted birds and a rather large number written in my check register.

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:39 am

The closest preserve to me is about 5 mintues away and is a private club. It would cost me $2000 per year to hunt there and that would get me 75 pheasants (3 birds for 25 hunts). That is way too much for me so I go to a preserve that is about 30 minutes away. They charge 21/pheasant, 11/chukar and 8/quail. Extra birds shot are half price. There is no charge per gun and cleaning is about $2/bird (a little less for quail). Last year I went to a preserve that was 150 miles away and hunted a couple days there without having any birds put out. I enjoyed it very much and got into pheasants and a couple coveys of quail. That price was 19 for pheasant and 8 for quail. I don't have much in the ways of wild birds around me so preserves and stocked birds by the state are about it. I do run into some woodcock at times but the season is short. I would also have to drive a couple hours north to get into decent grouse numbers but time to scout is limmited. I have used the preserves a good bit to introduce both kids and adults to bird hunting for the first time and it has worked well. A good preserve will never be like wild bird hunting but the good ones are worth it for me.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:09 pm

The $385, that is you lodging(meals and anemities) Half day price is one or two meals depending on when you come into hunt morning or afternoon, either way you get lunch unless you say your not eating.The pheasant hunt is a wild as you get the quail hunt is different cuase most of the time we are releasing before each hunt or atlease the chuckar are. Been in business for 17 years and watched alot of places come and go around us. Seems to be alot of Hunt Clubs aroud back east to me. For some folks it is easier to go to preserves verses walking your butt off on and stopping and asking permission when out here the house setting on the ground you want to hunt doesnt even belong to the people living there cuase they dont farm anymore or the bigger farmers have bought it up. I really just wondered since over the years I have guided guys from all over back east, and guys come from the Dakotas, and Nebraska and Oaklahoma to hunt with us.I have also seen some PREMIUM priced places out there to there are some in Kansas too!

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 pm

The place I guide on is way less money than most cause they keep it simple, 110.00 for sixteen quail, 134.00 for 9 pheasants, not bad huh I guess if you want your feet rubbed at the end of the day or a fine meal and booze we may not be for you, there is a lunch but not fancy, want to keep it so regular working class folks can come and not risk losing there house
Fester

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I only have to travel 15 min to the closest one, and its 400 for a hunt with 25 phes 12 chuck and 8 quail. its a fun day alot of shooting:}
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

asc

Post by asc » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:46 pm

600 per year, 45 minutes away from my house. 200 of that is birds($4/quail,7/chuckar,8/pheasant).
I can buy more if I want.
Got a dove field too with a half a dozen hunts per season, no extra charge.
Kind of a do it yourself place with a sign in board, call the man, order birds and he'll meet you the nxt morning at the board, sign in(time in/out, # of bird placed and taken and area).
I sometimes hunt the next day behind others that left birds in the field.
Got a small trap setup and a 100yd shooting range.
Oh, did I mention turkeys :D part of the lease, saw two nice gobblers this morning in the dove field.

I joined this preserve to have birds to train with, I run my dogs on wild birds here in Fl, sometimes I hunt 3-4 days and never find a covey or they're so small I won't shoot,
preserve is a treat for my dogs :D

They have guided hunts there too, I think 350 for one person with 30 quail, 300ea. for two people and 60 quail and up to 4 people. I just do my own thing but it doesn't seem like a bad deal.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:02 pm

The only one I go to is a one hour drive. They are great people and good friends and have bob whites, pheasants and chuckars. They have the best and hardest flying pen raised quail I have ever seen. I use it regularly for training/tuning up and guiding for newbies and anybody who wants to have an outing with good dog work and to shoot some birds. They also have fun trials and I help out with youth hunts. They just raised the price of quail this year from $6.00 to $7.50 per bird. Pheasants are $14.00 and chuckars are $10.00. There is no time limit [you pay for your birds and spend all the time you want or need]. No charge for any left over birds and there are almost always extra birds out there. The terrain is natural with brush, timber, creeks, ponds and grain crops. They will even clean your birds for no charge. . They will also work with you on a package deal if you have a group and want a variety of birds.

Say what you want about hunting preserves, [and no, nothing can take the place of wild bird hunting] but for working young dogs, introducing kids and new hunters, this place can't be beat.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 pm

birddogger wrote:The only one I go to is a one hour drive. They are great people and good friends and have bob whites, pheasants and chuckars. They have the best and hardest flying pen raised quail I have ever seen. I use it regularly for training/tuning up and guiding for newbies and anybody who wants to have an outing with good dog work and to shoot some birds. They also have fun trials and I help out with youth hunts. They just raised the price of quail this year from $6.00 to $7.50 per bird. Pheasants are $14.00 and chuckars are $10.00. There is no time limit [you pay for your birds and spend all the time you want or need]. No charge for any left over birds and there are almost always extra birds out there. The terrain is natural with brush, timber, creeks, ponds and grain crops. They will even clean your birds for no charge. . They will also work with you on a package deal if you have a group and want a variety of birds.

Say what you want about hunting preserves, [and no, nothing can take the place of wild bird hunting] but for working young dogs, introducing kids and new hunters, this place can't be beat.

Charlie

They dfinately have their place and once you learn how pen raised birds react they can do a pretty good job of replacing the non-existant native birds. I refuse to hunt planted birds as it isn't fair to any dog but if they are out and about for a day or two they work well. Get tired of them running or flying out of the far end of the field but that is part of pheasant hunting.

As you said, Charlie< a great place for young dogs and young hunters and not too bad for old ones too if you are smart enough to use what you are given.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Never been to one but I've heard there are some here in Az. K9 should post there info as I know I'm not the only one here in Az who reads the board.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:06 am

tnbndr wrote:
Prairie: What is your perception?
My views on them are that they are not hunting preserves. They are SHOOTING preserves. Big difference. Most of the facilities including 3 of which I am very familiar with here, use pen raised planted birds that are dumber than a doornail and would make my neighbors Jack Russell Terrier look like a phenom.

I realize that I am extremely blessed to live in the heart of bird country, and some folks are not. I understand that for these folks, Preserves are their best option for their dog. Its just not for me, and while I said "I need to force myself into trying it" I know I probably never will because I absolutely hate them. Shooting a pen raised bird isn't even remotely close to shooting a wild one. Its no fun whatsoever except for the thrill of making your gun go "Bang" - Personally, I get a heck of a lot more thrill out of shooting skeet, or Trap than a PR bird. Probably because the target actually flies like its intended to...

I've raised quail for training purposes before and occasionally get some locally now and again. Like someone mentioned previously, the birds are a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. Once the dogs have "Graduated" from them, thats it.

I also hate how every Tom, "bleep", & Harry can now strike up a "Preserve" and start guiding hunts. They're everywhere here. I live in a town of less than 600 people and there are like 3 of them locally, and probably 8-10 within a 25 mile radius of me. However, you can't blame the guys. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

It is what it is.... I have my opinion and others have theirs. We are all entitled to our own, and thats okay.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:27 am

Guys Im not going to get into this argument about that the pen raised thing, alot of people have made up their minds that fine,but do you know how many times I have been told " Your dogs probably dont do very good on wild birds do they" Sorry want to kick those idiots in the head.Im not want to get into everybodies beliefs of what they think about preserves, cause honstly to me Ive been to pen raised bird box hunts and I work at a preserve.Two big different things to me! I just want to know about the preserves and that questions I started the thread with.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm

When we are hunting wild birds, our dogs don't seem to know whether they are wild or pen raised, they still hunt and point birds. Just say'n.

Charlie

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 pm

I travel an hour (60 miles), but I'm a member at a preserve. When I'm by myself (i.e. without my partner, who is of a differnt view),I just hunt the very large fields or woods and see what I can pick up that is left behind or living wild,. No charge beyond membership. Sometimes we REALLY clean up. Other times we get nothing. What the heck. Still a lot of fun just being with my dog who always is optimistic, very skillful and good company, regardless of how many birds we get (or don't).

Could depend on whether you're primarily a dog guy, a hunter or a shooter. I'm a dog guy.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Steve007 wrote:I travel an hour (60 miles), but I'm a member at a preserve. When I'm by myself (i.e. without my partner, who is of a differnt view),I just hunt the very large fields or woods and see what I can pick up that is left behind or living wild,. No charge beyond membership. Sometimes we REALLY clean up. Other times we get nothing. What the heck. Still a lot of fun just being with my dog who always is optimistic, very skillful and good company, regardless of how many birds we get (or don't).

Could depend on whether you're primarily a dog guy, a hunter or a shooter. I'm a dog guy.
Excellent post! IMO.

Charlie

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 pm

It'd be interesting to see a wild bird dog go to a preserve for a year and a preserve dog go hunt wild birds for a year.....

I work for a preserve and our clients are mostly local, within 1 to 2 hrs. We do get clients from Maine, Ny, Ky, Va, NC, Pa, SC, Fl , Ga, wv, oh .....Those longer range folks are also usually hunting waterfowl as well as upland and or staying at our lodging.

I've got dogs with 1000's of birds shot over them even 10,000 and they go west and range and point birds just fine......It take a decent animal to day in and day out play the preserve game and look good doing it, finding birds in the best and worst conditions no excuses, no room for nonsense, get it done and get it done right. But then again I see it, I guess, from a different angle than the daily user or member of a preserve.

The real value in my mind is keeping people interested and owning bird dogs, and the KIDS. Not to mention people who may not be able to go afield anymore for whatever reason.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 pm

I respect the healthy tone and digression of this topic thus far. I really figured it'd turn south once I posted my feelings about it, but I was surprised at how civilly we can discuss our opinions.

I beg the question though. What happened to Hunting being "Hunting"? When I head out for a hunt, I don't know if I am going to bag 1 bird, 4 birds, or any at all for that matter. I don't know if there are ample birds in the field or if they're out feeding, have returned, or if someone (highly unlikely on my private ground) has already walked over it.

As far as being a "Dog person" or "about the kids" I am PRO both. However, I feel if you're truly into a teaching moment and bringing a kid into the sport than what example and mindset are you setting that you are guaranteed birds? In real life there are no guarantees... I was raised up as a kid who was introduced to hunting, and I am quite involved, and I contribute to the growth of the sport and I didn't have to shoot at a preserve to keep me interested.

food for thought, thats all.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:16 pm

If I did not have wild birds nearby I would for sure go to preserves, but it bugs me when I read in our local classifieds of all the pointing dog litters how they brag up "they guide at the local preserve" as if that is the do all end all of bird dog kingdom! I know guys here locally that NEVER hunt wild birds and solely go to preserves, which blows my mind cause the preserves are surrounded by perfect chukar country. :|

codym

Post by codym » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Chukar hunting is hard Josh duh!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Prairiefire, I don't disagree with you at all. I am just saying that a preserve can serve a purpose. Your question about what happened to hunting? I also grew up hunting wild birds and other game and had never heard of a hunting preserve. You are very fortunate to be able to hunt nothing but wild birds but the birds are almost gone for a lot of us and we have to travel to find them. The times have changed big time for a lot of us and I think that some who have access to plenty of wild birds take it for granted [not talking about you but just speaking in general]. If I were in your situation, I would never visit a preserve either.
by Elkhunter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:16 pm

If I did not have wild birds nearby I would for sure go to preserves, but it bugs me when I read in our local classifieds of all the pointing dog litters how they brag up "they guide at the local preserve" as if that is the do all end all of bird dog kingdom! I know guys here locally that NEVER hunt wild birds and solely go to preserves, which blows my mind cause the preserves are surrounded by perfect chukar country.
I agree, a dog advertised as a preserve guide dog means nothing to me. I also don't understand why people would go to the preserves if they were surrounded by accessible wild birds, other than just being lazy. Just saying that good preserves do have their place.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:01 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:I respect the healthy tone and digression of this topic thus far. I really figured it'd turn south once I posted my feelings about it, but I was surprised at how civilly we can discuss our opinions.

I beg the question though. What happened to Hunting being "Hunting"? When I head out for a hunt, I don't know if I am going to bag 1 bird, 4 birds, or any at all for that matter. I don't know if there are ample birds in the field or if they're out feeding, have returned, or if someone (highly unlikely on my private ground) has already walked over it.

As far as being a "Dog person" or "about the kids" I am PRO both. However, I feel if you're truly into a teaching moment and bringing a kid into the sport than what example and mindset are you setting that you are guaranteed birds? In real life there are no guarantees... I was raised up as a kid who was introduced to hunting, and I am quite involved, and I contribute to the growth of the sport and I didn't have to shoot at a preserve to keep me interested.

If you don't have birds released then you don't know if you are going to find any or not.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 pm

birddogger wrote:Prairiefire, I don't disagree with you at all. I am just saying that a preserve can serve a purpose. Your question about what happened to hunting? I also grew up hunting wild birds and other game and had never heard of a hunting preserve. You are very fortunate to be able to hunt nothing but wild birds but the birds are almost gone for a lot of us and we have to travel to find them. The times have changed big time for a lot of us and I think that some who have access to plenty of wild birds take it for granted [not talking about you but just speaking in general]. If I were in your situation, I would never visit a preserve either.
by Elkhunter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:16 pm

If I did not have wild birds nearby I would for sure go to preserves, but it bugs me when I read in our local classifieds of all the pointing dog litters how they brag up "they guide at the local preserve" as if that is the do all end all of bird dog kingdom! I know guys here locally that NEVER hunt wild birds and solely go to preserves, which blows my mind cause the preserves are surrounded by perfect chukar country.
I agree, a dog advertised as a preserve guide dog means nothing to me. I also don't understand why people would go to the preserves if they were surrounded by accessible wild birds, other than just being lazy. Just saying that good preserves do have their place.
Because of what Prairie said earlier, mot people who go to a hunt club want to shoot and not hunt. But if you like hunting it is there but you will be doing it alone.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 am

That is true. I guide for a preserve from time to time and most of the people I am guiding are not there to hunt, but to shoot birds.

Charlie

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 am

There are some preserves that have very good birds and very good hunting. One near us has birds in flight pens fed by automatic feeders. The only contact with humans they have is when they are released. Having a big enough area is the key. It sucks to have your birds run or fly away.
My dogs have hunted almost every species of northern upland birds and they don't really care how the birds are raised. To them a bird is a bird. The old dogs have had thousands of birds shot over them. It does take a day or two to change species. But that is the same going from different wild birds as going from wild to pen raised. My game farm experience has been mostly with pheasants. I think they adapt the best. The cost is around $20 dollars a bird for pheasants or Huns about $8 to $10 for quail 12 to $15 for Chukars and there will be a preserve nearby in Minnesota. The fancier ones are much higher and pretty much cater to corporate groups. Many of the hunters never see a bird or a gun at any other time. It is scary guiding for some.
It is very interresting to take some of our friends, who have only hunted on preserves or shoot at gun ranges, hunting wild birds. They can't believe the difference.
But wild bird hunting is getting tougher all the time. The cost to hunt ($100 to $200 a gun per day) on private land in South Dakota prohibits a family man from taking his family hunting. Public land is getting less and is getting very crowded .So without preserves many people would never go. Quail hunting especially . Any body knows some good areas feel free to share with me anytime. CJ

the_possum

Post by the_possum » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:55 am

is it really that a lack of land and birds make wild bird hunting not feasible for so many people or is it just that a preserve makes it more convienant?

the wild birds are there for the taking. sure you may need to knock on more doors than you had to 30 years ago before you get permission and you may not be fighting off the pheasants and grouse with a stick like your grandpa had to but its still out there; just harder to do.

deer hunting for me illustrates this point perfectly. the land is getting more and more fragmented. people are getting more and more possessive of their land and deer. its far harder to get permission or find un-leased land.

is preserve popularity just an indicator of what seems to me to be a "the ends justify the means" approach to hunting?

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:08 am

I don't think it is a matter of convienance, but more a last resort. When I started guiding 7-8 yrs ago we had a lot of people that would buy quail from us to use on their own ground. Over the years the number of people that have access to any private ground at all has diminished. I am not talking about good wild bird ground either, I am talking about any kind of ground at all where someone could put 6-8 quail out on a Saturday to work their dogs.

Very few people have access to ground and have to resort to preserves to get their dogs into any kind of birds.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 am

cjhills wrote:There are some preserves that have very good birds and very good hunting. One near us has birds in flight pens fed by automatic feeders. The only contact with humans they have is when they are released. Having a big enough area is the key. It sucks to have your birds run or fly away.
My dogs have hunted almost every species of northern upland birds and they don't really care how the birds are raised. To them a bird is a bird. The old dogs have had thousands of birds shot over them. It does take a day or two to change species. But that is the same going from different wild birds as going from wild to pen raised. My game farm experience has been mostly with pheasants. I think they adapt the best. The cost is around $20 dollars a bird for pheasants or Huns about $8 to $10 for quail 12 to $15 for Chukars and there will be a preserve nearby in Minnesota. The fancier ones are much higher and pretty much cater to corporate groups. Many of the hunters never see a bird or a gun at any other time. It is scary guiding for some.
It is very interresting to take some of our friends, who have only hunted on preserves or shoot at gun ranges, hunting wild birds. They can't believe the difference.
But wild bird hunting is getting tougher all the time. The cost to hunt ($100 to $200 a gun per day) on private land in South Dakota prohibits a family man from taking his family hunting. Public land is getting less and is getting very crowded .So without preserves many people would never go. Quail hunting especially . Any body knows some good areas feel free to share with me anytime. CJ
Cj head west, there is millions and millions of acres of public land with birds everywhere! I only ran into one other hunter this entire season, because it is steep and hard to hunt. But I found birds usually every time I went out.
Last edited by Elkhunter on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:37 am

codym wrote:Chukar hunting is hard Josh duh!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

codym

Post by codym » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 am

I went New Mexico State!!!! I used clues to figur out that misstery!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 am

Elkhunter wrote:
codym wrote:Chukar hunting is hard Josh duh!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!
I hunt northern Montana. Mostly huns and sharptrails. Bird counts were way down last year after the worst winter in years across the northern plains. This last winter will help. It don't make alot of difference to me. I can live without alot of birds and I have dogs that cover alot of country to find what are there. It is 900 miles to where I hunt and if I take my trailer I get about 6 mpg in the mountains. Maybe 10 crossing North Dakota. Again that don't make alot of difference to me. It's part of the kennel expenses.
But the fact is every body can't go west and everybody don't have the dogs and equipment or the desire to hunt where you walk 15 or 20 miles a day. Most starters want birds.
Most people with 2 or 3 kids they want to take hunting are going to have to go to a preserve.
Good or bad it's what it is and it beats watching hunting shows on TV.
CJ

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:I respect the healthy tone and digression of this topic thus far. I really figured it'd turn south once I posted my feelings about it, but I was surprised at how civilly we can discuss our opinions.

I dont disagree, But in all cases its better to keep something alive albiet manufactured than to let any trace fade away..... The two dozen kids or so (especially one 10 year old gal with her single 410) as well as a bunch of Vets(wounded and otherwise) and families, is all the justification my mind needs for preserves.

That said i will always love wild bird hunting the most but it has no bearing on my thinking of preserves.

Are there un-initiated slobs that hunt preserves because they too lazy otherwise? SURE. But they too put money in my pocket and after all it is America :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 am

Gentlemen,
I use to help run a Regulated Shoting Grounds, it was 45 miles from the house, that place is long gone. We now train 90% on wild Grouse and finish on our own land in Potter/Tioga. We no longer travel to do any planted bird work with our dogs.
RGD/Dave