Post by legallyblonde » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:10 am

Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: UKC Breed Standard Announcement

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 am

I am extremely glad to see the revision on the GSD. I pray the Brred clubs for AKC follow suit as well..Wonder what the other changes are going to be
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45 am

kninebirddog wrote:I am extremely glad to see the revision on the GSD. I pray the Brred clubs for AKC follow suit as well..Wonder what the other changes are going to be
Be careful what you wish for when it comes to broadly stated goals that someone else can set without you having any input. Not my idea of improvement, even though I agree we need some.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 am

ezzy333 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:I am extremely glad to see the revision on the GSD. I pray the Brred clubs for AKC follow suit as well..Wonder what the other changes are going to be
Be careful what you wish for when it comes to broadly stated goals that someone else can set without you having any input. Not my idea of improvement, even though I agree we need some.

Ezzy
Did you not read the new revision on the German Shepard? :roll: That is what I was refering to...Some of those show GSD's were so sloped in the backs they couldn't even walk right and hips were horrible to attain that over slant so UKC They are veering away from the over sloped backs...What's wrong with that?
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am

What's wrong is that it could easily slide into kneejerk, anti-breeding, punitive, draconian subjectivity. Look at what happened at Crufts and some of the public commentary on the BIS at Westminster this year.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 am

Cajun Casey wrote:What's wrong is that it could easily slide into kneejerk, anti-breeding, punitive, draconian subjectivity. Look at what happened at Crufts and some of the public commentary on the BIS at Westminster this year.
Pretty much anything can lead to knee jerk over reactions

personally I am happy the revised to help breeders bring up the back ends of the GSD..what I saw at the shows needed to be stopped next thing would be a dog dragging around a back end as a few of the dogs I saw were pretty close to that.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

kninebirddog wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:What's wrong is that it could easily slide into kneejerk, anti-breeding, punitive, draconian subjectivity. Look at what happened at Crufts and some of the public commentary on the BIS at Westminster this year.

personally I am happy the revised to help breeders bring up the back ends of the GSD..what I saw at the shows needed to be stopped next thing would be a dog dragging around a back end as a few of the dogs I saw were pretty close to that.
You'd best worry about your own breed's rear end because UKC follows FCI and is saturated with anti-modification ABPT folks. When they rule out docked tails, you may feel differently. My girls will have to learn to bite their babies' tails off at birth if that happens.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:41 am

What do you mean by "anti-modification APBT" people? Have you ever been to a UKC show and seen show APBT's?

With docked tails--that's already addressed in gun dog standards--both docked and natural are acceptable to allow imports from countries that do not permit tail docking.
Sara

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:51 am

legallyblonde wrote:What do you mean by "anti-modification APBT" people? Have you ever been to a UKC show and seen show APBT's?

With docked tails--that's already addressed in gun dog standards--both docked and natural are acceptable to allow imports from countries that do not permit tail docking.
Yes, I have seen UKC conformation APBT's and the trend here is natural ears. It is nearly impossible to find a vet that will cut ear leather or knows how, also. I've gotten some really uncalled for comments on my mutts' stubbies from pitbull folks, including being told it made them aggressive.

Another point of contention is the diminuation of Border collies. Ask a Sheltie Agility competitor.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 am

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:54 am

Well in most of the country you see waaay more cropped ears in APBT's. A lot of people with pits with natural ears complain that judges prefer cropped. And with BC's--too much to get into there with the ABCA's rule on showing dogs, but you do see more stock dog bc's in UKC. I know some that show locally who work their dogs on bulls. UKC tends to draw more of the working/performance dog crowd and wants to keep it that way.
Sara

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 pm

In FCI the country of origin controls the breed standard. So it would take the motherland to change a breed standard. Franly that is a moot point as the US is not a member of FCI, neither UKC or AKC have to abide by FCI standards, it is the breed clubs that determine the standard in AKC or UKC. UKC and AKC are simply registries and abide by what the parent clubs call for in terms of conformation. In the case of American Brittany's in FCI they are not to my knowledge a recognized breed in of themselves. They are Epagneul Bretons, or as we call them in the US French Brittany's. Don't take this as me slamming American Brittanys as I like them as a breed, but most of them in Continental Europe would not go antwhere in a Conformation Show, as the build has diverged from EBs. If, and I doubt it will happen, the US became a member of the FCI, I suspect that American Brittanys would end up as a distinct breed, seperate from EBs
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Not familar with UKC...who comes up with the standards?

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:14 pm

it is the breed clubs that determine the standard in AKC
Check that...the AKC can refuse provisions the club might want if the AKC deems those provisions to be too limiting...for example to require some proof of performance in order to be a bench champion. They don't like disqualifying faults or severe penalties. The idea is to ring the register and you need to get as many folks possible in the tent to do that.

It is true that in the FCI the breed club of the country of origin determines the standard. Registries that wish to join the FCI would have to conform to those standards...so don't look for the AKC to be an FCI affiliate in the near future.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 pm

kninebirddog wrote:

Arlette, there is never anything wrong when their changes agree with you but remember some of them won't always agree with your ideas and then we will see how great it is. That is my concern when you start letting someone else decide what they like and not what you like.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't know anything about the various American Kennel Clubs but I felt that what happened at Cruft's this year was long overdue. Dogs should not be bred to perpetuate glaring physical faults that affect their health.

As I understand the British K.C. 's present rules American Brittanies cannot be shown here. Only the French type are accepted.The Epagneulle Breton is O.K. the American Brittany is not liked by most of the folk that show E.B.'s. I think this is a pity as I prefer the "type" of the American Brittany. Most of Britains E.B. owners do not work them, they only show them or have them as pets. There is only one kennel in all of Britain that I'd go to if I wanted an E.B. ........ I don't trust or know which of the other kennels actually work and trial their dogs with success.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Susie wrote:Not familar with UKC...who comes up with the standards?
That information is on the UKC site.

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Cant find it :?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Wish some changes would be made to the Bulldog, any dog that cannot naturally reproduce should not be produced. JMO

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Susie wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
Cant find it :?
I will check and post it for you when I have a real computer. If you want any other info, I can check with my UKC/HRC peeps.

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I will check and post it for you when I have a real computer. If you want any other info, I can check with my UKC/HRC peeps.
Thank you and sorry I'm being a pain in the rear. Just curious what type of breed experiance it takes to become involved in writing a breed UKC standard.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 pm

UKC decides their own standards. From my understanding they at times will ask breeders, judges and clubs for input on standards but the UKC themselves have the final say on what a standard is and how it is stated. Also I have been told numerous times that when it is applicable they do their best to align their standard with FCI or the "country of origins" standard as well. Hope this helps!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Is the Tri color in the brittany also not desirable in the FCI standard? I was under the impression that UKC was using FCI standards for the brittany. Is this wrong? Those of you with bretons here in the US, what kennel club do you conformation show with?

Also very glad to see them take a stand with the GSD!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Oh, I typed too soon. I see the breeds are listed as seperate in UKC. :oops: