This may be blasphemous, but.

cptn

This may be blasphemous, but.

Post by cptn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:58 pm

What other breeds of dogs have you owned and love, aside from our beloved gun dogs?

Personally, I like them all, but I'm partial to big dogs (especially herding types), even if the love of my life at the moment is a three pound, prissy Yorkshire Terrier. She was purchased against my will, but I adore her to death.

Not sure if this is on-topic or off-topic! I think this could fit in either category. : ]
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Fester

Re: This may be blasphemous, but.

Post by Fester » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Ive had both kinds of dogs Pointers and Setters :lol:
Fester

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:39 pm

nothing like the smile of a boston terrier.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 pm

I have a pit bull mix that keeps me company on hikes at our training grounds while the GSP roams hundreds of yards away. She is great with my kids and gets along with all the other gun dogs at the club.

She'll also provide a heck of a distraction for anyone trying to steady their dog, as she'll gladly run around them and sniff but not take out their bird :)
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 pm

MY first dog out on my own was a shar-pei/shepherd mix. A face only a mother could love, I adopted her at about one year old from the pound as she was the only dog in the place that wasnt barking. She had her share of other issues but was a superb pet and i learned alot about dog training with here. RIP Blossum :)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 pm

I had a blue heeler X german shepherd cross growing up and a red heeler. Smart, loyal but really on the aggressive side. I also had a border collie that I adored. The worst was a small black terrier mix from the shelter that my husband and I both ended up falling for. Little guy with a HUGE heart. Ugly and had an underbite! I've always wanted to have a good german shepherd. Lots of Rin-Tin-Tin episodes growing up!

Here's one with the little black devil - Scooter, El Presidente.

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 pm

nice family photo!

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Great looking bunch of dogs. : ]
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm still partial to Huskies...
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:25 pm

I always make sure I have a JRT around.

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:06 pm

One All Age pug:

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 pm

My personal dogs that I have chose have been labs, britts and now a WPG. Do have a female Rottweiler around the house now, not very smart, but she is a sweet dog.
IMAG0241.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:29 am

I like all dogs and the next one that we get will be a small dog probably a chihuahua but my wife also really likes pugs.

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Other than hunting dogs my wife and i have had two small poodles. The male was about 20 lbs.
with the heart of a 100 lbs. dog. He was fearless. he stood his ground and fought with a German
Shepard, and did not give up, I had to separate them. The other a smaller female. Stupid, but sweet.
She spent most of her life in my lap.

We also had an Airedale. Reggie was the toughest dog I have ever seen. I don't think he ever started a dog
fight but he certainly finished several. He was shot by a farmer for chase his cattle around. Hit with a
round of #6 shot. About twenty in the chest and front leg. He came home, not limping or anything. I noticed
blood from the paw. Hit by a truck and broke his hip. This did not slow him in the least. He was friendly
to everyone until he got very old. Then he he was not good with anyone other than us.

Dogs are dogs. They are in a sense all the same.

MIke

cptn

Post by cptn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Airedales are, indeed, resilient.

I live the mountains, and there has been one wandering the streets for years. He'd come to my doorstep, and I'd try to invite him in and find him a good home multiple times. However, he'd never come in. I'd put peanut butter, cheese, chicken pieces, everything, and he would never step foot in my house. One night, we had a huge, huge snow storm, and he stopped coming to my doorstep after the storm. I was sure he was dead, and then one night, I heard scratching and shuffling outside my door. And sure enough, he was there. So, I gave him some water, food, and my friend and I named him Booki.

Too this day, he still randomly shows up. He's a tough boy, and I've grown fond of him.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:17 pm

I have a rescue Border Collie and my little super star Australian Cattle Dog, Carly, that I do disc and dock jumping with and is a stupid pet tricks master :D Hands down the smartest dog I've ever worked with.

Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

uplandguide

Post by uplandguide » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:39 pm

This was my Lilly, she was an amazing little hunter, She thought she was a German Shorthair! I love these dogs but am now afraid of back issues with this breed. She Herniated a disc in her back jumping off the couch when she was six. we rushed her that night to WSU for surgery, she never recovered. She lived with her cart for two more years following. It did not slow her down one bit with her wheels as you can see.. Eventually she had bladder issues and had to be put down, never the less she is still my girl! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mcshane's Bringing on another Chance "Hattie" NA PR 1

Sire : DC Gambles Sam Man MH UT PR1
Dam : Friedelsheim's Greenwood Greta NA PR1

Jesse

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

My first dog was a border collie bitch pup. She made me think I was a great dog trainer until she died and I got my next dog ! :roll:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm

uplandguide wrote:This was my Lilly, she was an amazing little hunter, She thought she was a German Shorthair! I love these dogs but am now afraid of back issues with this breed. She Herniated a disc in her back jumping off the couch when she was six. we rushed her that night to WSU for surgery, she never recovered. She lived with her cart for two more years following. It did not slow her down one bit with her wheels as you can see.. Eventually she had bladder issues and had to be put down, never the less she is still my girl! :wink:

Those are 'Never give up" eyes if I have ever seen them. Very cool little dog!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Besides my GSP I hunt with an Austrailian Cattle Dog.

Her name is Reba and she is the best flushing and retrieving dog I have ever owned. heck she is the best flushing and retrieving dog west of the Mississippi!

AND you do not want to stick your hand inside my pick-up with her sitting shotgun;-)=

I have owned a few Labs and had a 235 pound English Mastiff.

Our smallest dog is Willie T-Ribbs. The little "rodent" is smaller than any of our cats. You would laugh out loud watching him run after my GSP. Barking all the way of course.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 pm

I have had all kinds of dogs Gordon, English, Irish, Red :D
Steve

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I had a blue heeler X german shepherd cross growing up and a red heeler. Smart, loyal but really on the aggressive side. I also had a border collie that I adored. The worst was a small black terrier mix from the shelter that my husband and I both ended up falling for. Little guy with a HUGE heart. Ugly and had an underbite! I've always wanted to have a good german shepherd. Lots of Rin-Tin-Tin episodes growing up!

Here's one with the little black devil - Scooter, El Presidente.

Great photo!!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm

legallyblonde wrote:I have a rescue Border Collie and my little super star Australian Cattle Dog, Carly, that I do disc and dock jumping with and is a stupid pet tricks master :D Hands down the smartest dog I've ever worked with.

Cool!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 pm

uplandguide wrote:This was my Lilly, she was an amazing little hunter, She thought she was a German Shorthair! I love these dogs but am now afraid of back issues with this breed. She Herniated a disc in her back jumping off the couch when she was six. we rushed her that night to WSU for surgery, she never recovered. She lived with her cart for two more years following. It did not slow her down one bit with her wheels as you can see.. Eventually she had bladder issues and had to be put down, never the less she is still my girl! :wink:

"She thought she was a German Shorthair! " but better! Thanks for sharing....