College Station Texas

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

College Station Texas

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:21 am

So I am negotiating right now to get orders to Texas A&M as a Naval ROTC Instructor. I think I have a good shot to get the orders. Anyone familiar with the area. Where to live? Things to do for families? Camping and hiking? What can me and my spaniel hunt down there?

Thanks for the help!

cmc274

Re: College Station Texas

Post by cmc274 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:05 am

I don't know much about College Station, but I am in the area right now for work. I have asked every farmer and rancher I have come across about quail and they tell me its been several decades since they've had any. I would guess its related to the seas of coastal bermuda. Not sure how far you have to drive to find good quail hunting.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:48 am

You would really need to head South around San Antonio for a chance to get into good quail. Probably the further South the better. From where you will be, that's doable, but most of the land will be leased for hunting so you may want to ask questions about hunting leases. They are not cheap. Lot's of great deer down there as well. Deer can be found all over Texas. West of Waco, around the Huntsville area, Austin is over run with small deer. Waco, Austin, San Antonio all have attractions for families. A long weekend in San Antonio would be fun for the family...Sea World, the Alamo, great "Tex Mex" food. Nice Cabala's between Austin and San Antonio. Good luck and bless you for serving our country

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 am

I used to hunt around College Station. Good duck hunting area. Alot of deer, and hogs galore. I leased some river ground along the Navasota never saw a quail, but I did find an occasional woodcock in January or February. I hunted with springers. Lots of snakes. Decent squirrel hunting in pecan groves. College Station had an active retriever club. Look up Pat Mchale in Navasota when you get to town. Good luck with your new assignment.

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Lots of snakes.....not good! Hate the buggers! I am assuming your talking about the ones with rattles. Almsot stepped on a four foot Western Diamond Back north of San Diego last year. Never even rattled, I think it was warming itself.

Well I am getting that brand new Boykin Spaniel so I will be driving somewhere to hunt something! :D

I hear they have Pheasant up in the pan handle as well.

Good thing about Texas is Active Duty miltary get to hunt and fish for free anything we want. :D

I wonder how hard it is to train a dog to avoid snakes. :?

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Most of the snakes will not be poisonous, but you will get into cottonmouths around water. I can't remember seeing a rattler near college station but I am sure there are some. I never had a dog bitten but I had to give up a training spot occassionaly due to aggressive cottonmouths. Spring is worst time for snakes. Heat and humidity in summer. Be carefull training in the summer, which last about 8 months. I always tried to train near water and after a short upland exercise headed to the water for a few retrieves. I knew a guide down in south Texas who had Boykins for truck dogs. Neat dogs. I trained one to handle, quick learner and good disposition.