Wild Justice

Deets

Wild Justice

Post by Deets » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Just wondering what you guys think about the show wild justice. I watched an episode tonight and they really made hound hunters look like criminals. They busted a guy for running to many dogs, but during the whole sequence leading up to the bust they really made hunting with hounds seem like poaching. I don't run hounds, and don't really have a desire to, but I respect dog work involved. Just wondering if you guys saw the same thing I did.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Wild Justice

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:55 am

I general they really do... They also said its easy to kill a bear when you run them with hounds. I like seeing the contacts and seeing them bust people but I could do without the propaganda. There were some twisted people on that show last year (that got busted) and the way they portrayed hunters was pretty bad.... This year as a whole is actually better.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 am

That show annoys the crap out of me! I watched last year and every "hunter" they found had marijuana on them. Now I really don't care if you use drugs but you should not encroach on the rights of other people and carrying guns and being impaired by any drug legal or otherwise would definitely put others at risk. I watch that show and ask myself are all the laws that state has necessary? No treble hooks... No lead ... Upland bird permit.... Do the laws ever end???

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 am

I have the good fortune to not get TV here. Times I do get somewhere to see it, there's not much on I care to watch.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:38 am

In general, the media tends to lump all hunters into the "drunken uneducated redneck" category. That tends to be the liberal view, I guess.

Apparently, so do groups like HSUS which has a policy against hunting with hounds:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/hound_hunting/

If I cared more what they all think, it would anger me.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:49 am

I believe that program is Northern Ca. primarily? It is extremely unwise to paint with a broad brush, and I say this with due caution. I have a great deal of experience running hounds, though it was long ago, and I am of the opinion that you do not have to look exceptionally hard to find a hound guy breaking the law. There are a few reasons for it IMO; there are too many restrictions, the sub culture holds a pretty strong disdain for regulations to begin with, (in many ways an opinion I share), there is value in bear parts and cat pelts that bring money into the picture and in general you are dealing with a pretty hard core crowd in isolated country and not a lot of eyes on you.

By no stretch do all fit the bill, The California Houndsmen for Conservation is a long standing organization that does a ton to educate and and keep the sport within the boundries of the law, but its tough. I feel sorry for the wardens in Ca I know a number of them and the dope growing has indeed mingled with the total outdoor experience when you get in the rougher remote areas of California's public land. They spend as much or more time on dealing with the "grows' as they do protecting the fish and game resources.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

I didn't see it but now I'm curious. What were they running hounds on? Curious as there is a bill to ban hunting wild cats and bear with hounds in California......
Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:34 am

I didn’t see the show, but they were probably hunting bears or pigs. You can hunt bobcats in California but not mountain lions, with special thanks to the colossally uneducated voters of the state and the power of the emotionally charged lobby to get it done...so they pretty much run amuck. In fact, you cannot even bring a legally killed lion from another state across the border. It is still legal to hunt bears, coons and the aforementioned smaller cats and feral porkers with dogs.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am

They were running bears with hounds. Law states one dog per hunter and he obviously was over in the dogs, his wife got on the radio to let her husband know, warden told her not to say anything warning him because she knew he was breaking the law.

Now California has an estimated deer population of around 450,000 for 99 million acres. They limit the number of dogs during deer season because it interferes with Tue limited deer hunt dates. If they run the dogs through a canyon the deer are gone. After deer season the loosen the restriction on dogs per hunters.

The man was honest even though his wife and friend were lying. He could have lost his gun, truck, license, etc... He recieved a ticket. Seems pretty fair to me. California needs to be very tough on violators because of the large area and amount of illegal hunting activity....

. WHEN YOU HAVE 12 PEOPLE SPOTLIGHT AND SHOOT A BAIT DEER IN ONE NIGHT YOU HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM.

asc

Post by asc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Most of the wardens on that show seem(to me) a little over the top.

Everyone I've ever met from Californica was a bit whacky.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:01 pm

asc wrote:Everyone I've ever met from Californica was a bit whacky.Most of the wardens on that show seem(to me) a little over the top.

Well sure...pretty much the same theory as all the folks in Florida are the same as the cross section you get from a slice of Miami

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

AzDoggin wrote:In general, the media tends to lump all hunters into the "drunken uneducated redneck" category. That tends to be the liberal view, I guess.

Apparently, so do groups like HSUS which has a policy against hunting with hounds:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/hound_hunting/

If I cared more what they all think, it would anger me.
Az, I really don't care what they think either, but what bothers me is the number of uninformed people that they reach and indoctrinate through the media. And yes, hunters are always portrayed in the media as dirty, unshaven, unethical and drunken rednecks. All the other liberal views are promoted on TV and most of the news media also. I guess that is why I don't watch a lot of TV.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:26 pm

You can only use one dog to hunt a bear? :roll: That just seems stupid. That allows the bears focus in one place. I wonder if the incidents of dogs killed or maimed by bears is higher in CA than other places? How many dogs can you use to hunt birds?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:02 pm

One dog per hunter, no one said you can't have 5 guys hunting together. I think there is a limit to how many bird dogs you can use during deer season also... Never checked due to having one dog.

asc

Post by asc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
asc wrote:Everyone I've ever met from Californica was a bit whacky.Most of the wardens on that show seem(to me) a little over the top.

Well sure...pretty much the same theory as all the folks in Florida are the same as the cross section you get from a slice of Miami
Touch'e :lol: :lol:
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:51 pm

asc wrote:Touch'e
...at least everybody in between us is normal ASC... :)

AG74

Post by AG74 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:11 pm

I thought the People's Republic of Calif had pretty much banned everything outdoors, except smoking weed and hugging trees....

Let the dirty hippies run amok out in the forest all they want, deficating all over the place and make a mess, no problem, but ban responsible hunters from packing into the wilderness on horseback. The ultimate in hypocritical double standards...

Seriously, I thought ALL hunting was banned in Calif? Isn't it?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:41 pm

birddogger wrote: Az, I really don't care what they think either, but what bothers me is the number of uninformed people that they reach and indoctrinate through the media. And yes, hunters are always portrayed in the media as dirty, unshaven, unethical and drunken rednecks. All the other liberal views are promoted on TV and most of the news media also. I guess that is why I don't watch a lot of TV.

Charlie
Certainly, there is that, Charlie. Having decided there is nothing I can do about it, I guess I just dismiss that too. I have wondered how much longer hunting will be allowed given the media control of the anti- propaganda, but likely we'll get to hunt as long as my legs can carry me around the hills. I used to jump in with letters to the editor, etc., but gave that up a while back too. Now the only defense I have is when I vote. I do exercise that at every opportunity.

Now as far as dirty - been there after a long hunt with no showers - unshaven - same - unethical - NEVER - drunken - occasionally, and my neck has been red from sun/wind burn.

Heck, my in-laws are anti-hunters. I used to get the silent treatment for entire weekends after getting back from this or that hunt. Actually, it made things a little more pleasant for me. :lol: