The other setter

DonF
GDF Junkie

The other setter

Post by DonF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 am

Most of us have heard about them for a long time. And I think most of us have never seem them. First one I ever saw was Red Delicious's avtar, "Breelie". Boy good looking dog but, is it anything other than pertty? You bet. Craig had a photo of a few pup's he had for sale. One really tripped my trigger. Now I really don't need aother dog but luckly, that pup had been sold a few days prior. By the time I decided to give up and yield to reason, I was ready to get a new pup.

I got to watch these guy's run in the shooting dog and was even more than impressed with them. There was five of them running. In the second brace, I got my first glimps of an Irish in the field. Two of them. Craigs "Sierra" was more than impressive. Stayed out about 400-500 yds, never looped and never yo-yo'd. Unfortunately "Sierra" hit a snag on a bird. She made a really nice point but durning the flush, she went with the bird. Big deal, they all go one time or other.

In the 4th brace we had two Irish again. Craigs "Breelie" and a dog named "Finn". In defence of some of these dogs, they didn't do as well as I'm sure they could but the handlers were not hard core either trialer's either, just regular people that like to hunt. Anyway, "Breelie" said "watch me" right from the cast off. She ran a pretty big forward race, not quite as big as "Sierra" but looking every bit as good. 30 min later and four really nice finds, she got picked up going just as strong as she started. In the stake there were a few E. Setter's and a Gorden by Breelie simply blew them out. The Gordon got 2nd and a English got 3rd. All of the Irish that ran showed me that they do have what it take's, wonderfull little dogs. I have to put in a photo.

If I remember right, this is Breelie, Craig will have to correct me if I'm wrong.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277 ... 028600.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277 ... 027600.jpg

They were all about 35#, coat like you see here, none of that long burr show tpye coat. Beautiful heads and intelligent as heck looking. I know that I'm gonna have to have one of these!

I'm thinking this is Sierra. She is getting a bit gray and it just doesn't show as well in he photo, I think. Hey Craig, HELP!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277 ... 1600-1.jpg

If you guy's ever get a chance to watch one of these little dog's, do it. Very very impressive! And unless your ready for another dog, leave your wallet home. Wonderful wonderful little dogs.
Last edited by DonF on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: The other setter

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:32 am

I have seen some really good Irish Setters running in grouse trials here. They all tend to be much smaller than I'd expected , not much bigger than a Brittany and with very little feathering. The show type look like hairy monsters beside these "whippets with a nose in front ."

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:01 am

wow those are beautiful dogs. Never have seen one myself but I do like these photos. i am partial to setters, have an english one myself. Thanks for posting these.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:32 am

Tell you guy's what, these little dog's have overwhelmed me!

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:21 pm

You're correct Don the first two pictures are Bree, the last one looks to be Robert. Bree will be 6 in September, didn't start turring gray until after her first litter. I don't remember being gray until I had kids either. Her litter mate sister Sierra hasn't had a litter nad doesn't have a gray hair on her.

Thanks for the kind words. It was a fun day, I'm glad you could make it and thanks for the help.

Craig O.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:11 pm

I've been impressed with the Red Setters that i have seen.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Don - sounds like it was an impressive show for sure. Thanks for capturing it for us and bringing it here!

Any idea who is producing the dogs you were watching?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:28 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Don - sounds like it was an impressive show for sure. Thanks for capturing it for us and bringing it here!

Any idea who is producing the dogs you were watching?
You'd have to ask Craig.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:15 pm

I can tell you Two good bets for Red setter breeders, besides Craig of course. Roger Bosers Bearcat kennels or Joe Edwards Comeback redsetters. Go here to learn more.

http://nrsftc.com/

http://comebackredsetters.nrsftc.com/

http://bearcatsetters.nrsftc.com/

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm

ymepointer wrote:I can tell you Two good bets for Red setter breeders, besides Craig of course. Roger Bosers Bearcat kennels or Joe Edwards Comeback redsetters. Go here to learn more.

http://nrsftc.com/

http://comebackredsetters.nrsftc.com/

http://bearcatsetters.nrsftc.com/
Those two would be my recomendations also, other then myself of course :mrgreen:. Actually I do very little breeding a litter every couple of years or so but I try to get qualty matches when I do breed.

Craig O.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Here are a couple of pics of some of the red setters that I snapped at the NWIFC trial that Don judged this past weekend. They really are beautiful little dogs.

:lol: Image

'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 am

That dog in the second photo need's to get an award for holding the longest point I've ever seen! We sat in the shade of the club house and that dog pointed those birds for about a half hour, never noved a mussle! There were two left on the box so I guess it's a covy dog.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:19 pm

I take offense to the title "The other setter" :D

implying that there are only two.

Maybe "The other other setter" would be more appropriate. :lol:
Tom

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:I take offense to the title "The other setter" :D

implying that there are only two.

Maybe "The other other setter" would be more appropriate. :lol:
I'm sorry, lost my head! :mrgreen:

Ya know, that really is a nice looking dog in your avatar!

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 am

Yeah, that's Pete...He's a good dog. Maybe one of these days I'll donate my entry fees to a club further west and we may have a chance to meet up so you can watch him go. I think he's a better Hunting dog then a Trial dog. Ho ho's a little much...But on a good day he may impress me.
Tom

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:Yeah, that's Pete...He's a good dog. Maybe one of these days I'll donate my entry fees to a club further west and we may have a chance to meet up so you can watch him go. I think he's a better Hunting dog then a Trial dog. Ho ho's a little much...But on a good day he may impress me.

LOL very subtle.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ll_irishsetters

Post by ll_irishsetters » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 am

I own two Red Setters from Celtic's. They are hard hunting and decent in the house. I wouldn't trade them for any other breed.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:43 am

I grew up with a few Irish setters around all the time, and love the breed, I will probly have my self a red shag before its all said and done.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 am

I stumbled across this quote the other day regarding Bearcat, a Red Setter back in the 70's:
Bearcat has the most field trial placements in the history of field trialing in the United States...Bearcat garnered a record number of 158 placements including 14 championships and 8 runners-up. Overall, Bearcat placed in 51% of all trials entered.
With intense pride we acknowledge the late great Bearcat’s record of 158 wins. That beats out all other pointing breeds in the history of American Field trials including the “white dogs”! Incredibly, a Red Setter also holds second place in that category, Abra’s awesome record of 156!
The rest of the article is here: http://www.nrsftc.com/Committee/AboutBearcat.htm and here: http://nrsftc.com/?page_id=110