Using hunting dog to locate escaped parrot

sab3156

Using hunting dog to locate escaped parrot

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 am

Hi,

Yesterday my parrot got loose outside and is in the general vicinity of my house most likely. However, due to the foliage I cannot see him. I had an idea of maybe hiring someone and a hunting dog to help locate him. Do you think this is a viable idea? I have tons of material from the parrot's cage that can be used a scent marker.

I have no education regarding the use of hunting dogs and how they work, so if anyone can give me some tips I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Using hunting dog to locate escaped parrot

Post by ultracarry » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 am

Make sure you use a trained dog... Using just any dog that hunts will likely get you a dead bird. Where are you located?

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 am

This could be a joke, but I am going to respond as if it is not. 'Bird dogs' are generally used to locate 'ground dwelling' birds. I think that parrots are usually found up in the tree tops. I don't think that a bird dog is going to help you.

sab3156

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks for the tips. This is definitely not a joke - I am sincerely wondering if it is possible for me to use a dog to help locate my parrot.

I was under the impression that some types of dogs can sniff out animals from quite a distance away, as long as there is some scent to be carried in the air. What distances are possible for a dog to locate an animal by its scent?

It is quite a large parrot (Blue and Gold Macaw) and I'm sure it produces a potent scent for the dog to find.

sab3156

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 am

ultracarry wrote:Make sure you use a trained dog... Using just any dog that hunts will likely get you a dead bird. Where are you located?
Thanks, ultracarry. I am located in Darien, Connecticut.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 am

Bird dogs find ground-dwelling game birds. With that said, I have seen dogs point game birds in trees both by sent and by sight. But, the dogs had long been hunting those birds and had learned "the game". The same dogs ignored robins and other non-game birds. They'd learned that "game" as well.

Parrots are, by my understanding, tree-dwelling birds. If a bird dog was to see one on the ground, I think it'd be 50-50% that you'd have a tragedy on your hands...dead bird and injured dog...those big parrots are no joke once they get that beak on something.

My best wishes in getting your parrot back. I understand where you're coming from.

Greg J.

sab3156

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:38 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Bird dogs find ground-dwelling game birds. With that said, I have seen dogs point game birds in trees both by sent and by sight. But, the dogs had long been hunting those birds and had learned "the game". The same dogs ignored robins and other non-game birds. They'd learned that "game" as well.

Parrots are, by my understanding, tree-dwelling birds. If a bird dog was to see one on the ground, I think it'd be 50-50% that you'd have a tragedy on your hands...dead bird and injured dog...those big parrots are no joke once they get that beak on something.

My best wishes in getting your parrot back. I understand where you're coming from.

Greg J.
Thanks, Greg. Would a dog be able to just "point" if he can locate an area where a scent is coming from, or will they always attack? Could an experienced handler take the dog around on a leash in order to locate the parrot?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:01 pm

You need this. :mrgreen:
Or embarassingly this. :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

sab3156

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:You need this. :mrgreen:
Or embarassingly this. :wink:
Ah. Do you know how far a scent can go in the air and a dog be able to detect it and trace it?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm

The dog in each of the photos had the bird up about 20ft or so. The scent is falling from the bird to the ground in these instances.
There really is not to much of a limit.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 pm

As I see it, there are three things here.

1. Is the dog going to point a parrot by scent or sight? Your guess is as good as mine. My dogs will point pigeons that aren't ground dwelling. OTOH, they won't have anything to do with field larks despite being ground dwelling. Guess they've learned that they aren't interesting to me.

2. If by scent, the scent is going to go where the air currents go. That could be in any direction including almost straight up.

3. If the bird is on the ground, the dog might be freaked out by a large parrot and just about anything happen. The dog could be on a check cord, though.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:01 pm

What people are trying to say nicely is hunting dogs & dogs in general have a prey drive to locate & eat birds and animals. Through breeding & training we work to convert that prey drive in a pointing dog to locate only.

That being said I'd most likely work on inducing the bird back with it's favorite food. Unfortunately, as you likely know parakeets & parrots have a poor return rate. So to some extent you have much to gain & little to lose in trying to get the bird back by almost any means.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Put the bird's cage out where he can see it in the last known area of contact.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Ok, so once the dog points your bird, how are you going to catch it?

What we use to do when we got a call about a loose parrot is this. Put the birds cage outside in the open where he can plainly see it. eep the food and water in it and hope he gets hungry and comes down.
Even use his play perch if you have it.
Besides that, just hop you get to him before something else does. I know those birds arent cheap.....

How did he get loose anyways?

I actually think that is the B/G got ahold of the dog, theat would end your dogs career. They might think birds are bad after that. B/G have big ol beaks!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 pm

My son used to have an Umbrella Cockatoo (in the parrot family). My Labs both ignored the bird.
They did not respond at all like they would have had it smelled like a pheasant, quail, etc.

If the bird was out of the cage and on the ground the dogs would move away because the bird
would flare out his feathers, looking much bigger, and make lots of noise. The dogs did not seem
afraid if it, bet they went in the other room.

I hope you get the parrot back. I love the blue and golds and the scarlets.

Mike

sab3156

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Munster wrote:Ok, so once the dog points your bird, how are you going to catch it?
If a dog can point it out, I would be able to either climb the tree if he's not too high up (not hard in the woods near my house as there are tons of branches), or try and coax him down if he is very high up. Problem is, I don't know anyone around where I live that even has a hunting dog...
Ruffshooter wrote:The dog in each of the photos had the bird up about 20ft or so. The scent is falling from the bird to the ground in these instances.
There really is not to much of a limit.
How far would a scent detectable by a dog carry through a wooded area? Could it be dozens or even hundreds of feet?

In any case, I've posted flyers and notified the police and local vets to call me in case someone spots him.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Might try a terrier. They are game for anything

sab3156

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Might try a terrier. They are game for anything
How can I contact someone who is experienced and has a good dog to use for this sort of thing?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Try local vets or training clubs. Dog doesn't have to have special training. Terriers bark at things in trees. Jack Russells and rat terriers are particularly observant.

sab3156

Post by sab3156 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Good news, guys. My brothers just found him on our neighbor's deck. Looks like he flew down a little while ago searching for food or something! :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your help. But I think I may invest in a good dog and become an experienced handler just so I can locate my bird if he escapes. :oops:

I can imagine a lot of roles that these dogs can fit extremely well.

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Glad you got him back! Best thing you can do is clip it's wings and you won't have to worry about him flying away!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:46 pm

[quote="sab3156"]Thanks for all your help. But I think I may invest in a good dog and become an experienced handler just so I can locate my bird if he escapes.

I can imagine a lot of roles that these dogs can fit extremely well.
Good news, guys. My brothers just found him on our neighbor's deck. Looks like he flew down a little while ago searching for food or something! :mrgreen:

Funny, how much things have changed back in SW CT. When I was growing up and going to high school back there in the 1960's. A bunch of us had bird dogs, we hunted ducks down at the beach before school and usually had a shotgun in the trunk when we parked at school. Today if we tried that back there we would be in jail, probably ordered to go to therapy to find out why we had aggressive behavior manifesting itself in our hunting activities and would have to do public service for PETA. Sure am glad I left after high school. :D

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Glad you got a happy ending!

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:13 am

I have wanted a macaw for about 25 years now. Problem is now that i can afford one my wife is sick of the animals that i do have already.