English Setter Studs

jimssetters

English Setter Studs

Post by jimssetters » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 pm

What English Setter stud in todays trials, or active in the past couple years would be the best stud to breed. This could be 1 you would start your kennel with, hunt, or trial.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: English Setter Studs

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:13 am

There are a handful of kennels who have been breeding to the top setters with very good success (Carpenter, Patty, Dale Creek). It depends on what you are looking for. I "assume" by your location you are not referring to the grouse woods, so I will leave that for another discussion (there are a lot of good grouse studs out there). Here are a few others...

Shadow Oak Bo
Jetsetter
HyTest Skyhawk
Grouse Feather Kennel (Mark, Trooper)
Sydancer Dancing Bull
Tekoa Mountain Setters
Terhaar Kennels (Rocko, Elvis, Rogue)

http://www.settersunlimited.com/index.aspx Good place to start. There are a couple on the west coast and the names escape me right now...sorry.

tyleetess

Post by tyleetess » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:47 am

A couple out west would be Highground Jax Jabba. Also Rich Robertson has a nice up and coming setter, Rapidan.
if at first you don't succeed, reload

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am

tyleetess wrote:A couple out west would be Highground Jax Jabba. Also Rich Robertson has a nice up and coming setter, Rapidan.
THANKS! Rapidan is Stone Tavern Matrix x Made in America. That reminds me of a couple youngsters...Horizons's Jetsetter, and Airbender (I think they are both males)

Lyco Setter

Post by Lyco Setter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 am

One of two dogs will more than likely sire my next pup I'm currently looking for and will also breed my female in the next two years. Pennstar, he's on the verge of stud dog retirement. The other is Full Blast, a Pennstar son who's a derby and has just about placed in nearly everything he's been entered in if not won. Three kennels with studs you should look into would be CoverDogSetters.com (Pennstar), LongGoneSetters.com, and SettersUnlimited.com all of which have studs with multiple wins on wild birds.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 am

PntrRookie wrote: Jetsetter
Grouse Feather Kennel (Mark, Trooper)
Terhaar Kennels (Rocko, Elvis, Rogue)
I believe Rogue is a female.

I saw my first Jetsetter offspring in a cover dog derby. That dog looked right at home in the woods.

I haven't seen Elvis or Rocko, but own a Rocko offspring and saw a few Elvis's offspring and they are some very nice dogs. Animated and look at home in the woods.

I scouted a male setter who I believe is out of Grouse Feather Mark last week and that dog had a great race in the woods. He ended up placing second.

Another nice dog I've seen run that I'd love to see what his offspring can do is CH Wintergreen Max (2011 Grouse and Woodcock Inv. winner). Max is out of 5xCH Pennstar and is owned and handled by an amateur.

It's a shame that there are some really nice dogs out there that aren't being bred simply because they don't have the name recognition.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 am

Grange wrote:I scouted a male setter who I believe is out of Grouse Feather Mark last week and that dog had a great race in the woods. He ended up placing second.
Very nice recap on the woods studs (sorry for mis representing Rogue ;) )

"Ralph" has done very well this spring. Mike has changed/refocused his training efforts and it really shows...yes he is sire by Grouse Feather Mark http://www.grousefeatherkennel.com/

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 am

Has anyone seen Ch Thunderbirds Punchbuggy? Or seen anything by him?

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Terhaar's Elvis or Rocko
Long Gone Nixon or Boston
Northwood's Blue Ox
Quail Trap Max
Emmy's Applejack
Grouse Feather Mark
Peacedale Duke
Upper Cove Desert Devil
Lake Country Rayden
Moss Meadow Traveler

Personally, I'd consider any of these listed above.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Depends on what your looking for. One that comes to mind is hytest sky hawk. If you are interested in a nstra stud I would consider Tomoka's Smokin JR.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 pm

midwestfisherman wrote:Terhaar's Elvis or Rocko
Northwood's Blue Ox
Quail Trap Max
Emmy's Applejack
Grouse Feather Mark
Peacedale Duke
Upper Cove Desert Devil
Lake Country Rayden
Moss Meadow Traveler

I walked Moss Meadow Traveler's brace last weekend. He can sure cover some ground. But then what else would one expect from the WI/MN Shooting Dog of the Year.

Northwood Bird Dogs sure can produce some nice dogs. I've watched several of their Derbies this spring and every one is nice.

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 pm

It wouldn't hurt to give scott berg at berg bros. setters a call and talk to him as I think he is one of the more knowledgable men when it comes to the breeding of setters.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Grange wrote:
midwestfisherman wrote:Terhaar's Elvis or Rocko
Northwood's Blue Ox
Quail Trap Max
Emmy's Applejack
Grouse Feather Mark
Peacedale Duke
Upper Cove Desert Devil
Lake Country Rayden
Moss Meadow Traveler

I walked Moss Meadow Traveler's brace last weekend. He can sure cover some ground. But then what else would one expect from the WI/MN Shooting Dog of the Year.

Northwood Bird Dogs sure can produce some nice dogs. I've watched several of their Derbies this spring and every one is nice.
Yeah, Traveler is a real quality dog! I hear very good thing about Jerry Kolter's dogs but haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet.
Image * Image

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:30 am

Tekoa Mountain Jettsun just won RUCH at Region 11 Amateur AA

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 am

Airbender is a male..................... horizons jetsetter is a female
PntrRookie wrote:
tyleetess wrote:A couple out west would be Highground Jax Jabba. Also Rich Robertson has a nice up and coming setter, Rapidan.
THANKS! Rapidan is Stone Tavern Matrix x Made in America. That reminds me of a couple youngsters...Horizons's Jetsetter, and Airbender (I think they are both males)

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:24 pm

It depends on if you want to sell puppies or start a kennel. If you want to sell puppies look for the most advertised stud in your area.

.... But if you truly want to start a line you better go out and see the studs thats pedigree match up to your bitch well. Don't just see the dog once either, see him a few times and observe how he is in the kennel too, you will have to live with outcome of the mating so you will want want to see the dog in the field and the kennel. You will also want to talk to the trainer and see how the dog was in training, a good trainer can hide alot of things you would not want to breed too!

mulecreek

Post by mulecreek » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 pm

I like this one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Any interest in Ch Go For Broke? He is a few hours south of me. Valadetorian is also at the same kennel.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:29 pm

jimssetters wrote:Any interest in Ch Go For Broke? He is a few hours south of me. Valadetorian is also at the same kennel.
Had a buddy get two pups that had hytest sky hawk as the sire and Valedectorian as grand sire on bottom. Very nice pups.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:34 pm

jimssetters wrote:Any interest in Ch Go For Broke? He is a few hours south of me. Valadetorian is also at the same kennel.
I'm not familiar with Go For Broke. He got a nice looking pedigree. Heck if The Valedictorian is there I'd breed to him first.
Image * Image

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:13 pm

The owner said Go for Broke is the best dog in the kennel at this time. I would like to see how some of the pups have turned out.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Go for Broke...
goforbroke.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 pm

How about Ridge Creek Cody...
ridgecreekcody.jpg

Yahoo

Post by Yahoo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:22 pm

There is a Setter stud producing dogs that are winning in all venues. From cover dog to West coast AA. They hunt, handle, are very fancy running and on point. American Field shows a win % of 26% of registered dogs have placed in trials. These are phenomenal numbers considering most registered dogs are never entered in a trial. Dog is located in SW Mo. His name is Jetsetter. He won a lot in the toughest competition in the country and his pups are following in his footsteps. Ask yourself, what the other dogs mentioned have produced? Jetsetter produced the Pacific Coast Derby Ch 2 years in a row and Kansas Setter of the year last year. And many more big winners. Alot of the dogs mentioned have won,but are they producers? Why take a chance? Go to the proven producer.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Jim, have you considered Jetsetter? I haven't seen him run, but everyone that sees him says he's a special dog. He's been running at Ames and is owned by Jim Micheletz down in Neosho. Plus, if you went to Jetsetter with your Belle dog I believe that would be a linebreeding.

By the way, how did she do up at Tonganoxie?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Petroplex Hunter

Post by Petroplex Hunter » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Shadow Oak Bo is tough to beat right now

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:42 pm

He's tough to beat because of the shadow part................
Petroplex Hunter wrote:Shadow Oak Bo is tough to beat right now

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 pm

http://www.grouseridgesetters.com/stud_service.php

http://www.shadyhillskennels.com/

WE used Shady Hills Billy and the results were outstanding.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Yahoo

Post by Yahoo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:36 am

Petroplex Hunter wrote:Shadow Oak Bo is tough to beat right now
Really? Never have heard of any of his pups winning a trial. He may be a great trial dog but it sounds like this guy is looking for a proven producer. Go to a dog that has produced a high % of winners. AF will give you the info on specific dogs.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:15 am

Stoneface wrote:...if you went to Jetsetter with your Belle dog I believe that would be a linebreeding.
Yes maybe we should know what the female has. Agreed if it is Belle, you have a couple ways to go and one would be Jetsetter. In reference to your Belle pedigree (and if she is the one you are thinking of breeding), I would talk directly to Jim Micheletz, Jason Patty, Larry Carpenter and Robert Barker. Referring to Belle's pedigree, those 4 guys could give you more insight that all of us internet jockeys ;) (tongue firmly planted in cheek - dang - I can not even tell if a dog is a male or female :oops: ).

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Here's a dog no one has mentioned yet

English Setter 2X National Champion, Field Champion & Amateur Field Champion Tomar's Chukarhill Frost

He resides in Iowa.
Tomar's Chukarhill Frost.jpg
Tom

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Far as I know "Frosty" lives in California................ and actually really the dog your thinking about in Iowa should be owned by Cindy Findley his name is Chukarhill Rimrock Ridge 2X NAFC and an AFC I beleive................ unless Ann gave frosty away to someone in Iowa or Moved there.
Gordon Guy wrote:Here's a dog no one has mentioned yet

English Setter 2X National Champion, Field Champion & Amateur Field Champion Tomar's Chukarhill Frost

He resides in Iowa.
Tomar's Chukarhill Frost.jpg

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Yes you're right. :oops: Ridge is the dog I'm thinking of. Maybe I should stick with Gordon's.....
Tom

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Lots of good lookers guys thanks. I would have to stay in the middle usa but i still like ES pics. I have thought about Jettsetter Have to check more with the owner on price. I heard 1000 to 1500 to breed. Iam just a little guy thats alittle pricey for my wallet. Valadictorian is also in my thoughts. I think both setters could be hall of fame dogs. To Rowdy: Belle done alright for first time out. She has more work to do but I think we will be alright come fall startup.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:26 pm

The breeding on ridge is FC/AFC/NAFC 1x nstra CH Joe's little Rowdy,rowdy is by AF AA CH Mona's Delight X magic touch, Ridges momma is FC/AFC Mcgoverns Hershee kiss she is/was by Pinekone Max and i can't remember her dam, hershee was bred by Brian Sullivan.

And just to inform you....................... rowdy and ridge were/are better dogs than frosty ever thought about being............... I seen em all,up close and personal on birds and over the ground
Gordon Guy wrote:Yes you're right. :oops: Ridge is the dog I'm thinking of. Maybe I should stick with Gordon's.....

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:58 pm

The stud fee on Airbender is more than reasonable.................... it was free last year to quality bitches with the intent of breeding a potential FT performer............. that deal is more than likely off the table but if you check the archives on the horseback FT board you'll find it.
jimssetters wrote:Lots of good lookers guys thanks. I would have to stay in the middle usa but i still like ES pics. I have thought about Jettsetter Have to check more with the owner on price. I heard 1000 to 1500 to breed. Iam just a little guy thats alittle pricey for my wallet. Valadictorian is also in my thoughts. I think both setters could be hall of fame dogs. To Rowdy: Belle done alright for first time out. She has more work to do but I think we will be alright come fall startup.

Yahoo

Post by Yahoo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:12 pm

jimssetters wrote:Lots of good lookers guys thanks. I would have to stay in the middle usa but i still like ES pics. I have thought about Jettsetter Have to check more with the owner on price. I heard 1000 to 1500 to breed. Iam just a little guy thats alittle pricey for my wallet. Valadictorian is also in my thoughts. I think both setters could be hall of fame dogs. To Rowdy: Belle done alright for first time out. She has more work to do but I think we will be alright come fall startup.
The AF ads on Jetsetter all have said $1000. Everyone that has bred to him has sold the pups in the $1000 range. If you have 8 pups it's $8000. Even if you sold the pups for $800 (which is cheap for a Jet pup) it would be $6400. You should call Jim he is a good guy and does a great job breeding your dog. He has very clean Air conditioned and heated kennels. Your dog will live like a queen for as long as she is there. He will breed her at least 3 times. I've been to his place and it's very nice and everyone is always welcome.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Yahoo are you saying you will buy a pup for $800? SOLD i will put you on my list. Just kidding, thanks. I have a daughter out of Barkers Big Coon. Looks great but i dont let her run as she is a personal hunting dog. I would like a pup or maybe a couple to trial with. The pups from her last litter have good run and point with high heads and tails. Mistys tail stays betweem 9 and 12 with no consistancy. It isnt that easy to sell pups in the fourstates for the money they are worth.

Yahoo

Post by Yahoo » Tue May 01, 2012 7:18 am

jimssetters wrote:Yahoo are you saying you will buy a pup for $800? SOLD i will put you on my list. Just kidding, thanks. I have a daughter out of Barkers Big Coon. Looks great but i dont let her run as she is a personal hunting dog. I would like a pup or maybe a couple to trial with. The pups from her last litter have good run and point with high heads and tails. Mistys tail stays betweem 9 and 12 with no consistancy. It isnt that easy to sell pups in the fourstates for the money they are worth.
When you have quality, people buy it. Why would you market them in the Four state area? Market them nationally. I don't think Jason Patty had any problem selling his pups for $1000 each, and he is in Kansas. Advertising doesn't cost anything. There are 1/2 dozen forums and websites . Don't waste you money with AF. If I had a female that was out of Barkers big coon, and she runs like you were describing, I would definitely breed to something that puts a lot of running style in his pups. That is Jetsetters forte". Running style and pointing style. They don't keep any dogs down there that aren't classy running. They breed for running style. Dogs that don't have great running style won't win much. That is what hurt Havelock Citation. He would have won the Continental if he had running style. He was RU. That is from the Judges. He could have been a great CH if he was fancy. Setters have a bad reputation for being tail draggers because there are just to many out there. The only way to fix that is for breeders to breed running style and if they get a tail dragger cull it. That is what the big time pointer guys do. I know for a fact Lester, House, Miller, and Derrig al cull tail draggers fast. The only way setters will improve is when the breeders start breeding high quality and culling the poor.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue May 01, 2012 7:30 am

Yahoo wrote:The only way setters will improve is when the breeders start breeding high quality and culling the poor.
Agree...

It is hard for a weekend breeder (non professional/full-timer) to cull a pups when they look at the high priced stud fee. On the flip side, the odds are higher if you breed to a PROVEN (as Yahoo stated above) producer, that your culls will be less than if you breed to something unproven.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue May 01, 2012 12:43 pm

jimssetters wrote:She has more work to do but I think we will be alright come fall startup.
That almost sounds like you've found your nitch? You sticking with AF, NBHA?

Also, as far as studs, you may consider Skyview Ace or take a look at Sky Dance Kennels. Skyview Ace is Cinna's sire (you can see her on my YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/stonefacekennel). She's an Ace daughter and Jetsetter Grand daughter. You can find Ace at www.skyviewsetters.com or Skydance Kennels at www.skydancekennels.com.

I've also heard a lot about Highground Jax Jabba and Shadow Oak Bo. They were even featured in an article regarding their chances to take Ames. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... ve-a-shot/
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Is there a good place to look for offspring of Jetsetter? I have looked at Skyveiw Setters, thanks Rowdy.

Yahoo

Post by Yahoo » Tue May 01, 2012 8:27 pm

jimssetters wrote:Is there a good place to look for offspring of Jetsetter? I have looked at Skyveiw Setters, thanks Rowdy.
Call Jim Michaletz and ask him who he has bred Jet to recently. His number was in the field with a stud ad all winter. I know he has bred him 4 or 5 times since the 1st of the year. There is also an ad that has been running in the AF selling some Jetsetter puppies.

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Here is one I am partial to, his main problem is his handler, but hey when you have a handful of a dog and he is your first real trial caliber dog there is a steep learning curve, just gotta work to get better every training session. He is goes about 57 lbs, runs with good style, and obviously points that way too. He has walking and horseback placements and I hunt him on wild birds in KS and Missouri. He is double bred grandson of Ch. Sun Storm. He has been bred once with good reports on the pups. PM me if you want more information. Everyone in SW Mo says there isn't any birds left down there unless you put them out yourself, hope not remember some good bird hunts around Jasper, Golden City, and Avila growing up.

TChism

Post by TChism » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 pm

jimssetters wrote:Is there a good place to look for offspring of Jetsetter? I have looked at Skyveiw Setters, thanks Rowdy.
Give Jim a call. There are 8 young dogs out of Jett at his house. Two were derbies this season and earned several placements, and the others are up and coming pups. Its only about an hour away from you. Just south on 71. I believe there have been three dogs out of Jett that have won CH's this year. I believe they were all first year dogs too. If you want a producer, he would be the dog to choose.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed May 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Jim, Tony (TChism) would know - he's buds with Jim Micheletz.

Tony, you've seen Jetsetter run several times, haven't you? What do you think of him and his pups?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

TChism

Post by TChism » Wed May 02, 2012 8:44 pm

I have never had the chance to see Jett run. I have only seen his pups and I really liked them.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu May 03, 2012 7:50 am

Is Jetsetter retired from trialing?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu May 03, 2012 4:18 pm

I could swear we chatted once after you saw Jett run. Maybe it was a son? Airbender?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------