Dog Doors revisited.....

Karen
GDF Junkie

Dog Doors revisited.....

Post by Karen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 am

Mine broke! It's still in service but it's not going to last much longer. I have a call into the manufacturer, but the door has been discontinued, so not holding my breath for replacement parts (even with the lifetime limited warranty).

Anyway, we have 6 or so dogs running in and out of our dog door constantly. They hit it hard, and they hit it often.

I'd prefer an all-alumimum door, but worry that one will be coming while another is going, and someone will get knocked out cold (down the cement steps leading up to the door). Valid concern?

Any suggestions?

And does anyone have this one?

http://www.gundogsupply.com/heavy-duty-dog-door.html
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Brittdogs

Re: Dog Doors revisited.....

Post by Brittdogs » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I have the gun dog door you are referring to on each of my 4 runs. Great door, holds up very well, pups can't chew them either. Only complaint...they are loud. Can get annoying listening to the britts constantly running in and out of them when I'm sitting on the deck trying to enjoy the peace and quiet. Other then the noise they are the best door money can buy IMO.

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:29 am

I have had that door on my dog's house for 10 years, and it has been great. Like Brittdogs said, it is noisy. They do hold up very well, I have replaced one set of hinges since it was new. I have been very happy with this door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:44 am

Great! I'm going to order one this week.
ImageImage

edb

Post by edb » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 am

Only complaint I have about the door is hard wind will blow them open. Not good in a driving rain storm. If protected from wind a great door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Wow! Much to my surprise, the company that manufactured the door I bought last year called me back and said that they would definitely replace the flap and would reinforce it before sending it to me.

Here's hoping it gets here before the other flap is toast. I think I'll order one of the heavy duty doors to have around, just in case anyway.
ImageImage

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Karen wrote:Mine broke! It's still in service but it's not going to last much longer. I have a call into the manufacturer, but the door has been discontinued, so not holding my breath for replacement parts (even with the lifetime limited warranty).

Anyway, we have 6 or so dogs running in and out of our dog door constantly. They hit it hard, and they hit it often.

I'd prefer an all-alumimum door, but worry that one will be coming while another is going, and someone will get knocked out cold (down the cement steps leading up to the door). Valid concern?

Any suggestions?

I have it.. I HATE IT!!!! Sorely disappointed.

Edited for explanation: I bought one with the steel door trim kit and back closure. Not only is it deafening loud, but the trim kit is a joke. Furthermore the entire door is held in place by 2 screws which are constantly coming loose making the door "Hang up" - For what this door costs they should revisit the drawing board... Just my .02
Last edited by prairiefirepointers on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

stolhma

Post by stolhma » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 pm

Karen wrote:Mine broke! It's still in service but it's not going to last much longer. I have a call into the manufacturer, but the door has been discontinued, so not holding my breath for replacement parts (even with the lifetime limited warranty).

Any suggestions?

I have five of these in use for the last four years, great doors except for the noise. My kennel is a fair distance from my deck so the doors are not to bothersome for me.
“No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich"

Lyco Setter

Post by Lyco Setter » Tue May 01, 2012 6:37 am

Any suggestions?

I have one of these. Some dogs really hate this door as the springs put tension down on their head and at it's pretty noisy. The noise can be cut in half if you put some 1/8" thick foam tape around the edge of the door cutout. Very durable, and un-chewable.