Baby Pigeons.

Stoneface

Baby Pigeons.

Post by Stoneface » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 am

I've never had to deal with baby pigeons, just caught birds as I needed. Now, though, I've got a coop with some birds I bought a couple months ago and they're starting to nest and lay. I feed gamebird feed, which I believe has been formulated to compensate for grit, but with babies coming on I'm not sure if I should put a bowl of grit in the coop too, or just let them have the gamebird feed. What do you guys think?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Brittguy

Re: Baby Pigeons.

Post by Brittguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:16 am

I have been feeding what is called Big4. which is a game bird, feed also Turkey starter etc. Birds do fine with it. I am assuming yours is a pellet not any grain. I raise a lot of babies this way.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 am

The parents feed the babies milk for the first three weeks or more so just feed the the parents what they have been eating CJ

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am

I don't think it's really milk, it's vomit! Not a pretty thing! I buy pigeon grain and just keep some grit around in there. I also have free flown ferals for years and never gave them grit.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:05 pm

If all you are feeding is pellets then you can get by without grit. I would suggest feeding a little grain along with the pellets but then you should use some grit if you do. Whatever works for you is OK.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I have always thought that I I was flying the birds out on a regular basis that they would find their own grit, usually in my driveway. Is this correct?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:06 pm

They probably will if they have to but it is hard to know what else they are picking up. Most people try to keep them from landing on the ground since that is where you can pickup all sorts of deseases.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 pm

ezzy333 wrote:They probably will if they have to but it is hard to know what else they are picking up. Most people try to keep them from landing on the ground since that is where you can pickup all sorts of deseases.

Ezzy
Is there a way to discurage "loafing around" before they return? Mine are rollers - not true homers and they arr bad abut taking their time time to come all the way in.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Don't forget they are called flying rats for a reason. Chicken scratch will do them fine. They will pick up whatever they need to survive. Unless they are never flown and are kept on a wire floor. Worming is a bigger concern, diamateocus earth aka fossil shell flour sprinkled over the scratch along with fresh water is all that they need if kept on a dirt floor. I have been doing this for 28 years now.

bluestemkennels

Post by bluestemkennels » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm

I've been using sratch grain and grit they sell at the feed store (1lb of grit to 40lb of grain per the grit bag) and game bird feed at a 50/50 mix. Not sure if that helps you, but the birds seem to be doing fine.

Bluestem
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
www.bluestemkennels.com

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 am

ezzy333 wrote:They probably will if they have to but it is hard to know what else they are picking up. Most people try to keep them from landing on the ground since that is where you can pickup all sorts of deseases.

Ezzy
Agree, and the more often they land on the ground and such, the higher the likihood that they will get killed.
I don't want them landing anywhere, other then the landing board.

Rowdy, I assume, like everyone else, that they would be fine without the grit if you are just feeding the pellets. However, I do think that they could use the minerals in the grit, and honestly, what would it hurt? Regular grit ain't super expensive and better to have it and not need it then vice versa.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:08 pm

V-John wrote: ...what would it hurt? Regular grit ain't super expensive and better to have it and not need it then vice versa.
Duh. Drop I don't know how much a month on vet, feed, bird feed, gas, etc, and I don't want to fork out $10 for some grit. I feel smart.

P.s.- Moxy's last brace of the year was a Derby stake against a Vizsla that had won the Puppy nationals (AKC) in Georgia the weekend before. Moxy saw the running order, remembered Sis and developed a terrible complex. She has nightmares now and has started to smoke pot. She says it's medicinal, but I haven't seen the script yet.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue May 01, 2012 10:47 am

You guys did alright in that stake, didn't you?
As far as the grit, well I figure better be safe then sorry. After all, the pigeons are worth more alive then dead...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Stoneface wrote:
P.s.- Moxy's last brace of the year was a Derby stake against a Vizsla that had won the Puppy nationals (AKC) in Georgia the weekend before. Moxy saw the running order, remembered Sis and developed a terrible complex. She has nightmares now and has started to smoke pot. She says it's medicinal, but I haven't seen the script yet.
:lol: THAT is funny.