Transporting 3 dogs

Munster

Transporting 3 dogs

Post by Munster » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:39 pm

Do any of you use your Suburban or similar truck to transport your 3 dogs during hunting season?

SHow me your set up. I would like to get ideas.

I have gone from wanting a trailer, to a diffrent truck set up, to now looking at suburbans. Brian Johnson looks like he builds a nice aluminum box system. Not sure how it would work in a SUV though.

Thanks
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

crazyboy

Re: Transporting 3 dogs

Post by crazyboy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 am

This thread has a lot of pics, not sure they are exactly what you're looking for though. A good start at least. gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33196 I've seen people with three kennels, two side by side in the back and one the opposite direction, or sideways, that you can get from the back seat.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I use a suburban. Two crates facing the back gate side by side.
One crate inside driver's side rear door backed up against the two crates in the back end.
Rest of space is cargo space. Can haul 3 people & plenty o fgear this way.
Just don't tangle with any skunks or you would rather have the pick up & topper, or trailer setup.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 04, 2012 8:43 pm

I've carried four in a Suburban for years. Back to back plastic crates. Two rear facing & two front facing. With the correct sizes you can have the second seat upright & just lower whichever side you want to get a dog out.

It's a bit of money but I'm setting up my big SUVs with a removable gun vault type storage unit on the cargo floor. On top of that are four matching double door crates (Ruff Tough). The doors are on either end & are removable. I asked Ruff Tough, http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/Double- ... lable.html to set them up with removable double doors & I'm pleased they listened to the customer feedback. The option is to set them up as separate units or remove the two second doors between two crates & connect them. With a walk through, back-to-back double crate, if two dogs get along you can now load/unload both from the rear if desired.

With the double door kennels set at the right height on top of the storage unit the driver will still be able to see to the rear through one or two crates in addition to using the outside mirrors. I'm able to keep the dogs warm or cool inside the truck.

I prefer plastic crates because I have a number of situations where I bring the crates & dogs inside a dwelling.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 pm

RYMAN GUN DOG has pics on here of his setters in suburban .he also built a trailer for local hunting.
i have club cab truck and my MUNSTERLANDER is going in there .

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon May 07, 2012 12:42 pm

I have a GMC Acadia (well actually a Saturn Outlook) and have 3 plastic crates behind the back seat so I can take 3 guys and gear. No pics. Just 2 side by side and one sideways. Works for 3 50lb vizslas.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520