Picking pup question (not typical questions)

Ghosted3

Picking pup question (not typical questions)

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:40 pm

When is the correct time to select your pup? Is it when it is time for them to come home, at like 4wks old? I am just wondering if there is a certain age that is the best age for the connection or bond to begin.

Thanks
Corry

KyCountry

Re: Picking pup question (not typical questions)

Post by KyCountry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 pm

Typically, pups shouldn't be taken home until 8-10 weeks.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue May 01, 2012 4:31 am

Never buy a pup from anyone who let's you take the pup home before 7 weeks of age. 8 is fine 10 would be better. The breeder should have already started the human bonding with the pup at 4 days old. It should be no problem for you to take over at 10 weeks. The pups should want to be with people if they are correctly socialized.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue May 01, 2012 6:02 am

By about 6 weeks puppies are getting very little from the mother. She is ready to move on. But they really do need the litter socializing and pack training. We let our puppies go at eight weeks. We would prefer to keep them 'til ten weeks and give them there second round of shots and crate training. Be aware that puppies have a very small chance of getting any immunity from their first shots. Especially if given before seven weeks. So' be careful what he is exposed to.
If the breeder is not socializing the puppies the sooner the leave the better. It's a traumatic time for the puppy and you can have a major impact on his future by not over stimulating him when he first comes home. I know how, Especially with kids, it is but calm and quiet the first few days is the best way to go. CJ

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue May 01, 2012 7:09 am

I watch the mom when she starts to bite the little buggers it's time to go, when you selling.
Very difficult to choose the better ones under 8-12 months, if you want to the pic of the litter.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 pm

My main question is that I have 3rd pick of the litter, and I have never had to do that before, so do you go in earlier at like he 4 or 5wk mark and pick them then, or is the pick made when you arrive at the 8-10wk mark?

Thanks
Corry

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Every situation is a little different. Talk with the breeder about the home situation & what you're looking for in a dog. A quality breeder will help pick out the right pup for you, from what is left after picks 1 & 2. An experienced breeder interacting with the pups daily can usually identify traits more easily than the buyer. Even the breeder though is just taking an educated guess, with many dogs turning out differently than expected.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Tue May 01, 2012 1:40 pm

from a structural standpoint, what you see at 8 weeks is pretty much what you will see when they are grown up. They tend to grow unevenly and at 8 weeks the are pretty much in-sync for a short time. It is much better socially to let them stay with the litter until at least 8 weeks.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 01, 2012 4:38 pm

The later you can pick, the better. You'll have a better idea of personalities the longer you wait. Try to put it off as long as is possible. I hate it when breeders force you to choose at 4-6 weeks - it's really hard to make a good decision. Mine let me wait until 9 weeks with my Vizsla - I pretty much got exactly what she said I'd get.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Corry

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Thu May 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Pups change so much from 4-8 weeks that, IMO, you are wasting your time making your choice before 8 weeks. (8-10 MONTHS would be better, as a previous poster stated. But that's impractical). Arrive as soon as the breeder is willing to let the pup go. If you are third in line, choose 3 pups based on gut feeling, color, sex, or whatever floats your boat. Odds are, you'll get your first choice. If not, number 3 may just turn out to be the better dog in the long run. Good luck and enjoy your pup.

Aline Curran
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Corry
pick puppy with BIGGEST HEAD. big head means more room for brains.i am from old school and thats how most of my pups over 46 yrs are picked.
but when you are 8th on pick you get what is left.

you are low on pick,so use the HEAD. :D
Last edited by JIM K on Fri May 04, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm

JIM K wrote:

Corry
pick puppy with BIGGEST HEAD. big head means more room for brains.i am from old school and thats how most of my pups over 46 yrs are picked.

you are low on pick,so use the HEAD.
Yup - just like humans, the ones with the biggest heads are the smartest. :lol: :lol: That's a myth.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 am

Fireside wrote:from a structural standpoint, what you see at 8 weeks is pretty much what you will see when they are grown up. They tend to grow unevenly and at 8 weeks the are pretty much in-sync for a short time. It is much better socially to let them stay with the litter until at least 8 weeks.
My GSP first pick male was the biggest male in the litter at 8 weeks. At 14 months he's the smallest pup of the whole litter. Stature wise anyhow. He's short but weighs about 60 lbs .Compare him to his 55lb brother and he looks tiny. Solid Freaking Muscle i guess. Just like me except I'm tall with a lot of fat.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri May 04, 2012 10:35 pm

old MY :D THS are hard to break.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri May 04, 2012 10:41 pm

BigShooter wrote:
JIM K wrote:

Corry

you are low on pick,so use the HEAD.
Yup - just like humans, the ones with the biggest heads are the smartest. :lol: :lol: That's a myth.

my brothers son head is big for his age.he is in tenth grade. he is doing senior school work.getting all A .

i watched kids at awards and most of very smart ones had BIGHEADS!boy, i hope they dont read this :roll:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat May 05, 2012 5:55 am

If I could, I would pick all of my dogs at 10 weeks. At seven weeks you can tell nothing about a pup. By ten weeks, you can tell a lot. Picking at four weeks will get you nothing.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 05, 2012 11:08 am

[quote="JIM Kit.

you are low on pick,so use the HEAD.[/quote]

Yup - just like humans, the ones with the biggest heads are the smartest. :lol: :lol: That's a myth.[/quote]

my brothers son head is big for his age.he is in tenth grade. he is doing senior school work.getting all A .

i watched kids at awards and most of very smart ones had BIGHEADS!boy, i hope they dont read this :roll:[/quote]

................................................................................................................................................

Actually kids with hydrocephalus have the biggest heads but ...............

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut ... 0kid&type=
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett