Wirehaired Vizsla?

vanderwell07

Wirehaired Vizsla?

Post by vanderwell07 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Anyone run this breed? Having sum thoughts on getting one. Would just like some jnfo if one has had experience

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Wirehaired Vizsla?

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 pm

HPVizsla has one. I don't know much about them - I have a "normal" V. Well, as normal as they get. :lol:

VizslaGirl

Post by VizslaGirl » Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 am

I do not own one, but the breeder that I get my smooths from has them. I can put you in touch with some people who own them, if you are interested.
CH Barben's Miss American Pie - "Mimi"
Barben's Chianti CD, RA, MH - "Cali "
Barben's Rob Roy SH - "Robby"
Barben's Summer Fling MH - "Summer"
Barben's Dizzy Miss Lizzy - "Lizzy"

BlueMoon Vizslas - http://www.bluemoonvizslas.com

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Wed May 02, 2012 12:08 pm

I have a wirehaired Vizsla who is just over two years old. What are you needing to know?

vanderwell07

Post by vanderwell07 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm thinkn WITHIN A year to year and a half ill will be getting one or a GWP, I was wondering if they can run up with a GWP in versatility since I like to waterfowl hunt the majority and want to get into upland with my own dog and not hunting with a buddy. And issues with the breed to watch out for? How they are for temper, and just a general thought. I like GWP but I wanna try something not everyone has like a lab, gsp, setter, or Brit.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu May 03, 2012 3:49 am

I have never owned or trained this breed but I have seen several out working. They appear to be slightly harder running .... and slightly harder headed .... than most vizslas. Their thicker coats allow them to keep working through a Scottish winter but some of their coats are rather poor. The breed has a tendency in Scotland to have fairly soft coats that can "ice-ball" easily in snowy conditions and which pick up burrs and bramble stems rather easily.
Most of the W.H.V.'s I've seen have been keener water dogs than the smooth haired types.
I know two trainers who have both "ordinary" and wirehaired vizslas . They both say they prefer the wirie as it is not quite so sensitive in nature which can make training a bit easier.

So, maybe they are a tougher type of dog than their vizsla breeding but not just as tough as their German Wirehair breeding ???

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu May 03, 2012 5:28 am

A PP might be a good fit as well........

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 am

vanderwell07 wrote:I'm thinkn WITHIN A year to year and a half ill will be getting one or a GWP, I was wondering if they can run up with a GWP in versatility since I like to waterfowl hunt the majority and want to get into upland with my own dog and not hunting with a buddy. And issues with the breed to watch out for? How they are for temper, and just a general thought. I like GWP but I wanna try something not everyone has like a lab, gsp, setter, or Brit.
The wirehaired vizsla is a versatile dog and can be used for many different activities. They are not going to stand up to all day waterfowl hunting like a chessie or lab but they are not bred to, I don't mean to imply that they can't do it but not everyday all day in freezing temps. They are bred to hunt a variety of cover and be able to be productive in those areas.
Temperment that I have found is good. We have ours with our young children and have never had any worries. Our WHV does not have any issues with any of our other dogs. They are a laid back dog that can take pressure but not a breed that you have to be harsh with. If you want to PM me your number, I can visit over the phone with you and try to answer any questions that you may have. Depending on where you are in Iowa, we may be able to meet up and you can meet our WHV in person.
Thanks
Jeff

vanderwell07

Post by vanderwell07 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:15 am

hpvizslas wrote:
vanderwell07 wrote:I'm thinkn WITHIN A year to year and a half ill will be getting one or a GWP, I was wondering if they can run up with a GWP in versatility since I like to waterfowl hunt the majority and want to get into upland with my own dog and not hunting with a buddy. And issues with the breed to watch out for? How they are for temper, and just a general thought. I like GWP but I wanna try something not everyone has like a lab, gsp, setter, or Brit.
The wirehaired vizsla is a versatile dog and can be used for many different activities. They are not going to stand up to all day waterfowl hunting like a chessie or lab but they are not bred to, I don't mean to imply that they can't do it but not everyday all day in freezing temps. They are bred to hunt a variety of cover and be able to be productive in those areas.
Temperment that I have found is good. We have ours with our young children and have never had any worries. Our WHV does not have any issues with any of our other dogs. They are a laid back dog that can take pressure but not a breed that you have to be harsh with. If you want to PM me your number, I can visit over the phone with you and try to answer any questions that you may have. Depending on where you are in Iowa, we may be able to meet up and you can meet our WHV in person.
Thanks
Jeff
one of the guys i work with has a GWP and i was also wondering if your wirehair acts like other GWP as in always looking for something to hunt, like rabbits, doves,
possums, or coons lol ive been told and seen him go after them and put the jaws of death to them :lol: . not that it will bother me if the breed does, i kindof rather have a dog want too do that lol :twisted: :roll: