What to do with a laid back puppy

cohanzick creek

What to do with a laid back puppy

Post by cohanzick creek » Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 am

Just like to have your opinion on a laid back pup. He was really shy but over the past couple of weeks he is becoming more bold. Do you think he will still improve? He went from staying in the back to playing with toys. Just wanted to know. (((he is only six weeks)))

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: What to do with a laid back puppy

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed May 02, 2012 8:33 am

I wouldn't worry about it. He is still developing his personality.

Doug

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed May 02, 2012 8:50 am

I got a pup once that was sent to me I am sure because he was the biggest couch potato you ever saw...I was convinced I had gotten taken, but his calm personality disappeared when hunting, he was sold to me by a field trialer and I believe he turned out to be the best, widest ranging pup in that litter, but you would never have guessed it a 10 weeks old :D

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed May 02, 2012 9:34 am

Six weeks old is really young. He is freaking out. Take extra care of him. You have to fill in for the mom with the exception of breast feeding :mrgreen: make sure he gets his wormings and immunization i have doubts that was taken care of by the breeder. I would watch his weight. Supplement his feed with whole milk. Not to be an a$$ but he should not have left his mom that early. It is illegal in some areas including mine to let a pup be sold at that age. If you need help with a specific health or behavior problem pm me.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed May 02, 2012 9:39 am

gotpointers wrote:Six weeks old is really young... he should not have left his mom that early.
Agree. And you've had the pup for awhile, haven't you CC? You say the last couple weeks he is getting more bold - so from four weeks to six weeks?

Pup is an infant, and can't be evaluated for temperament. Health/nutrition issues are most important now. Is he eating OK?

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Wed May 02, 2012 10:01 am

To clarify for CC, the pup in question is from a litter he currently has and is different from the pup he got a few weeks back.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Wed May 02, 2012 10:46 am

wait, build that bond and with more experience and bird contacts he will one day turn that light on. took my pup 6 months then he done a complete 180

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Wed May 02, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks guys Deuce is right. He's from a litter of GWP's that i have It's not my donut she's got plenty of personality. My daughter took care of the puppies from the time they were born until around four weeks. For the last couple weeks i've been the one taking care of them. and he would go in the back of the pen or hide behind the water bucket. so i bought toys with squeakers and started to play with him, and he's been getting a little bit bolder everyday. he really likes it when you use the squeaker he comes running. the reason why im asking this question about the pup, is because im thinking about keeping him. He is the best looking pup in the litter. So thats why im asking you guys for help so i can make up my mind. There's only two males in the litter and i just cant seem to make up my mind. cc

Will

Post by Will » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I agree with the consensus...he's just a baby and is only being introduced to this big crazy world. Don't force anything upon him and let him discover at his pace. In the next few weeks I'll bet you see a different pup altogether.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed May 02, 2012 2:57 pm

JMHO....the pup can become a very good hunting dog but what the pup has shown you is his "default" mode. He is not as confident as the other pups and confidence is a basic building block when it comes to training and especially breeding dogs. There are two kinds of pups....hunting dogs and breeding dogs....this pup would not be my first choice for a breeding dog. Monitor as you go forward....could just be a slow developer but if you see the lack of confidence continue, make plans accordingly.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed May 02, 2012 3:41 pm

I would not be overly concerned with a pup that is a little "cautious" when exposed to new situations if it recovers quickly, with in a few seconds. A pup that is very shy or fearful should raise a red flag.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 pm

thanks guys i brought the puppies up from the basement for their first puppy shots and let them run all over the house. i let the pup that i was talking about just explore the house. he was scared at first but he started to play with the other puppies, the grand-children and bit my wife's foot, lol. he was actually having a good time he whined a little buit he bounced right back and started to play. Course we did have to put donut up, because she was terrorizing the puppies. Thank you for the help i still want to here you other guys comments on what you think though. lol i dont want to send him down the road then kick myself in the "bleep" later on. cc

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed May 02, 2012 8:10 pm

ENJOY IT!!!!! It doesnt last, soon you will have a 4 legged jumping bean on your habds! An you will soon wish the calm, doscile puppy would show back up, even if occasionally.