Wild hunt within 1 day of Central IL

bkidd79

Wild hunt within 1 day of Central IL

Post by bkidd79 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 am

I have never traveled to hunt but want to pack my dog and gear and hunt for a few days or so this year, camp in the truck. Would love to do a wild hunt. Was thinking abbout just driving and stopping at a farmers houses and asking to hunt his property until I get a yes from someone. Im not shy. Any suggestions or anyone know of a place (and actually be willing to share it) with a newer bird hunter?
I live near Springfield, IL and would want to stay within 12-16 hours of there so that I have time to hunt and travel, keeping my trip to about 5 days.
I would appreciate some direction or suggestions, Thanks!

whatsnext

Re: Wild hunt within 1 day of Central IL

Post by whatsnext » Fri May 04, 2012 11:39 am

I have always wanted to try some quail hunting in Missouri, Kansas or Arizona, of course i would be happy with a healthy population of bird's to hunt in our home state. I know this was no help but i am curious as to what kind of response's you get.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 pm

what species?

you could be in northern michigan or in the dakotas somewhere with that amount of time.

brandon

bkidd79

Post by bkidd79 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 pm

I am open to any species. I am in love with bird hunting and the more the better. Would love to broaden my horizons and will do he research on whichever im after before I go.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri May 04, 2012 2:28 pm

it looks as though you have a flusher? In that case I would head to the dakotas for phez. Tons of public land, their game and wildlife page is a good place to start. Tons of info, if you are willing to spend a little time looking on their website.

I can not offer more than that, b/c I have never actually hunted there. Had a trip planned last year that fell through, that is how i now about the website.

brandon

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri May 04, 2012 7:56 pm

I've been dreaming a similar dream for the past few years, and I just might pull the trigger this fall. I'm in Southern Illinois. My plan is for a two-week bird-hunting road trip. I'd hit preserves in the mornings, then drive in the afternoons and early evenings, until I reach some mecca for wild bird hunting.

bkidd79

Post by bkidd79 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Yeah, I havn't hunted birds for very long, but I want to go somewhere where I can see wild birds. I love pen raised clubs but I want to experience the actual hunt as well. I will be doing it this year just not sure where yet.
I have family up on the border or Iowa/Minnesota. I contacted them and will be going there the first week of November. He had some name for partridge that I have never heard before. Any suggestions on that?