What's your breed of choice?

trasmuson3

What's your breed of choice?

Post by trasmuson3 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Hello everyone, just thought I would start a topic wondering what everyone's breed of choice was and why?  I understand many of us own our preferred breed, but has that breed always been your number one, or were you converted? Please include pictures if you have any.

I will start. Growing up, my dad always owned Drahthaars and this breed has always been my breed of choice, particularly because I always loved how hard they hunted. It seemed like nothing ever stopped them from achieving something, whether it was injuries, thick cover, or an icy pond. And, of course, I love the way they look! So much character to them both physically and personality wise. I always thought that this would be my first dog when I moved out of my parents and got a place of my own, however, I will be picking up My first hunting companion in less than 7 weeks and I will be getting a solid liver GSP pup.  I couldn't be more excited about it. I will always love the DD, but who knows maybe I will fall in love with the GSP breed all the same.  I will have to update photos as soon as I get them.

So please, share your thoughts. Thanks!

gotpointers

Re: What's your breed of choice?

Post by gotpointers » Fri May 04, 2012 1:01 pm

I have always been an english pointer person but my new english setters are battleing for the lead. I have 3 german shorthairs. 3 german longhairs and a bunch of labradors. I pretty much have met very few bird dogs that i didn't like.

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:06 pm

gotpointers wrote:I have always been an english pointer person but my new english setters are battleing for the lead. I have 3 german shorthairs. 3 german longhairs and a bunch of labradors. I pretty much have met very few bird dogs that i didn't like.
+1 I would have to agree with you there, I think you can find something you like in just about every bird dog breed...

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Fri May 04, 2012 1:17 pm

I have always been a lab person and probably always will be.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri May 04, 2012 1:57 pm

I really had a hard time deciding what breed to get for my first hunting dog. They're all just so great in their own way. I wound up getting an English setter because they're beautiful, generally eager to please, hard working, very sweet and affectionate. They also just seem to have a lot of personality. I also really like GSPs and red setters as well... and pointers, Gordons, labs... aw heck, I like 'em all :lol:
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:04 pm

I have had my first gundog for a little over a year, a Vizsla. I love this little girl and can't imagine having anything different. I chose a vizsla because of their tempermant, intelligence, and energy. I wanted a dog that could hunt all day and run and bike with me. She is my constant companion from sun-up to sun-down; she even accompanies me to work. If my lifestyle were to change and I couldn't take her everywhere, I might consider a less clingy breed for my next choice, but for now, a vizsla is perfect for me!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Jack Russell Terriers because of their great personalities and joie d' vivre, Couldn't do without a setter though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh84o5ST ... re=related

There are hunting tests for JRts here.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 pm

trasmuson3 wrote:I will always love the DD, but who knows maybe I will fall in love with the GSP breed all the same.  

So please, share your thoughts. Thanks!
You will. The breed you love is the one you have at the time. It isn't the breed you love, so long as it suits your type of hunting; it's the dog. It is easy to confuse the two. Putting aside serious breeders, of course, people make a mistake staying with one breed forever.There is a great deal to be said for changing breeds at times. You will love and appreciate your shorthair just as much as you did your wirehairs (so long as you stay upland hunting anyway).

However, l was single for many many years, so perhaps I just appreciate the excellent quality of variety! :wink:

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Fri May 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Whatever hunts :mrgreen:

I have weims now, but have had labs, springers, setters, brittanys, vizslas, and gsps in the past. Guess that means my next dog will be a pointer :D

Aline Curran
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 pm

I've had Shorthairs for ten years, am on my third Setter and have trained or helped train one Vizsla, a Weim, a Pudelpointer, several Wirehairs, a couple Britts and a few others. I'm on my first Pointer and think she's converted me to a died-in-the-wool Pointer man. Some folks like Fords, some like Chevys.

To me, Pointers are beautiful, a huge chunk of them have great retrieving instincts, they are as lovable, friendly and have as sunny a disposition as any dog I've ever met, they are heck on wheels in the field and lover bugs in the home. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but I think the stereotype that no Pointer will ever make anything but a full-time kennel dog, frigid, cold and not content to stop running until he's caught the sun is a gross misjudgement. These are remarkable dogs, I just wish more poeple gave them a chance. I don't see any bad points to owning a Pointer besides a possible bleeding tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzhcBwJX ... ature=plcp

Last edited by Stoneface on Sat May 05, 2012 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I have had setters since I was a kid. I have had Irish, Gordon, Red, and now 2 ES (Llewellin's)
Setters have a style and class to them that I have always loved. The sight you get when you come over a hill and see that feathered tail sticking up out of the cover with them standing like a painting on point, is as good as it gets.

And no the pointing dog is a young setter pup, not a pointer

Steve

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Steve, rumor has it that chestnut dog is one of those once-in-a-lifetime dogs. Any truth to that?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Fri May 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Stoneface wrote:Steve, rumor has it that chestnut dog is one of those once-in-a-lifetime dogs. Any truth to that?
I like Ace a lot. But I don't know that he is a once in a lifetime dog, he has some faults.
Indy my new pup in the pictures above, has a good chance to be better, at least he is farther along at a younger age.

They are two of the 3 best dogs I have ever had. I love them a lot.
Steve

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 pm

If you want to start a new chit chat thread that's fine. Some of us may not respond because we've already posted our thoughts. If you're interested in what 10,000 other folks have read on this subject check out this poll: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=12029.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 pm

BigShooter wrote:If you want to start a new chit chat thread that's fine. Some of us may not respond because we've already posted our thoughts. If you're interested in what 10,000 other folks have read on this subject check out this poll: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=12029.

wow, the poll shows LAB so low?of all hunting dogs i had,home/woods the SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB was one of best.but i raised them for 40 years with dad.
any dog that is nice at home, no barking and is not afraid of woods, is nice dog.

remember most hunting is only 3 months. so what if your dog gets 10 more grouse than mine because he points better etc.

i cant stand any dog breed that barks at home.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Yeh, Our lab barked a lot. :lol:

Remember the poll just shows the interests of folks that have visited the Gundog Forum & cast their votes in the poll. I think retriever folks have a couple of other websites they participate in more often.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm

BigShooter wrote:Yeh, Our lab barked a lot. :lol:

Remember the poll just shows the interests of folks that have visited the Gundog Forum & cast their votes in the poll. I think retriever folks have a couple of other websites they participate in more often.
i was out fishing today on kettle creek.camp had 2 GSP in kennel.they barked and barked, i dont know how people stand that all day.
then i dropped off a bird launcher for friend.
she has 5 EP dogs.
man, barking was awful. i could hear it from my truck while parking along road.
terrible.
toby my lab barks for minute if anyone is around home but not that steady barking around home. :roll:

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 am

My breed of choice due to versatility and looks is a GSP, but right now I am waiting on my ESS pup due to wifes allergies. Almost the same versatility in a smaller package, but my wife isnt sneezing and puffy eyed all day :D Like others have said though, I like about all of them.

Corry

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sat May 05, 2012 8:32 am

My choice would be german wirehaired pointers. I have had just about every kind of bird dogs but i bought my first wire in 1987 and been hooked ever since.

cc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 am

cohanzick creek wrote:My choice would be german wirehaired pointers. I have had just about every kind of bird dogs but i bought my first wire in 1987 and been hooked ever since.

cc
What is it about them over other breeds? They seem to be rising in popularity around here.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sat May 05, 2012 9:57 am

i like wire hairs because to me they're a one on one dog. When i was younger i liked them better because i could go pheasent and duck hunting around the same time. they may not be as good as a lab, might not been as keen as a pointer, but they get the job for me pretty good. CC

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat May 05, 2012 10:47 am

cohanzick creek wrote: they may not be as good as a X, might not been as keen as Y, but they get the job for me pretty good.
That is well put. All breeds have thier strengths and weaknesses. Thats why there are so many breeds, we don't all need or want the same thing.

Some like the flushers / retievers, some want a pointing dog.
Steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm

cohanzick creek wrote:i like wire hairs because to me they're a one on one dog. When i was younger i liked them better because i could go pheasent and duck hunting around the same time. they may not be as good as a lab, might not been as keen as a pointer, but they get the job for me pretty good. CC
It is interesting that the wire hairs have that "one on one" characteristic, clingy in a way. Neither of them really share any historical make-up.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Well like I said, you can't beat a lab for a water dog, really can't beat a pointer for its nose but in the middle you have a wire hair. I like em the best because they love being with people.

cc

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:17 pm

cohanzick creek wrote:Well like I said, you can't beat a lab for a water dog, really can't beat a pointer for its nose but in the middle you have a wire hair. I like em the best because they love being with people.
Not correct at all. Golden Retrievers "love being with people". GWPs love being with THEIR person (or their people). Other breeds, however, have the same hard-bonding quality. Gordon Setters, American Water Spaniels and Chesapeakes come to mind. And in point of fact, while opinions and uses of the dog vary, as do individuals, a Chesapeake will certainly, shall we say, challenge a Lab for "you can't beat" honors for a water dog.

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Sun May 06, 2012 9:38 am

DD for me... And if you throw my pup in a room full of people you can bet she'll love on every one of them.

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 am

Shorthairs! I grew up with them and at age 24 I got my own. 2 years later and I'm doing research for #2. Great dogs all around and it doesn't hurt that they are good to look at.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Deuce wrote:DD for me... And if you throw my pup in a room full of people you can bet she'll love on every one of them.

Of course she will; she's a well-socialized pup. That's how she's supposed to be. But try it again in three or four years. On a percentage basis (i.e. not true of all individuals), if you're there, they won't exist. The Breed Standard describes their temperament as "aloof but not unfriendly toward strangers". It's a good quality, imo. I have two.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sun May 06, 2012 3:20 pm

I really wasn't trying to put all breeds against each other, I just picked two popular breeds. I know Chesapeakes are really good in the water, and golden retrievers are friendly; except for the one that bit me a couple years ago when I was hunting. I have had the pleasure of all the dogs mentioned. I really just prefer wirehairs. In out house our wires are friendly with everyone until I tell them not to be lol.

cc

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 pm

After multiple britts and a lab, my Griffon has turned out to be everything I want in a dog. As stated before it is all about what you hunt, where you hunt, and how you hunt. The fact the griff is easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either! :lol: In one day last year in MT, in his first week of hunting, we helped to break ice in the morning and retrieved 5 ducks. Later that afternoon he pointed a limit of huns, 2 sharptails and a pheasant. With doing a lot of waterfowling, I thought about another lab, and I am a huge lab fan, but deciding to only have one dog, it had to point also. Have never met a bird dog I didn't like, just owners I thought did a poor job handling their dog.
6050296224388_ORIG.jpeg
4050296224378_ORIG.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 pm

jarbo03 wrote:After multiple britts and a lab, my Griffon has turned out to be everything I want in a dog. As stated before it is all about what you hunt, where you hunt, and how you hunt. The fact the griff is easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either! :lol: In one day last year in MT, in his first week of hunting, we helped to break ice in the morning and retrieved 5 ducks. Later that afternoon he pointed a limit of huns, 2 sharptails and a pheasant. With doing a lot of waterfowling, I thought about another lab, and I am a huge lab fan, but deciding to only have one dog, it had to point also. Have never met a bird dog I didn't like, just owners I thought did a poor job handling their dog.
6050296224388_ORIG.jpeg
4050296224378_ORIG.jpeg
Nice looking Griff, where did you get him from?

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Stellar Vista in Brookfield,MO. Ran him in Thurman at Heartland NAVHDA test last fall.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Lets see....at the moment i have a Brittany of nstra type bloodlines, a shorthair of navdha bloodlines and a Drahthaar. I love all of them but if i was forced to narrow it to one i would keep the DD on the versatility.

BTW, i would like to own a field boykin, a good springer, a pudelpointer, a EP and a DL before i die....I love them all.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 am

jarbo03 wrote:Stellar Vista in Brookfield,MO. Ran him in Thurman at Heartland NAVHDA test last fall.
That's why he looked familar, I remember you now! Hope you plan on coming up & running him in UT sometime.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 am

I love 'em all... I was always a Lab guy... but I wanted a pointing dog... I was looking for a Setter, but wound up with an EP by accident... stumbled on her... Honestly, I love the looks of the Setters, and I will eventually have one, but this Pointer is such a clown in the house and such a worker in the woods, I just love her... Should have named her "Pillow" cuz she's a fixture on the couch! :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:35 pm

High Voltage wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Stellar Vista in Brookfield,MO. Ran him in Thurman at Heartland NAVHDA test last fall.
That's why he looked familar, I remember you now! Hope you plan on coming up & running him in UT sometime.
Hoping to run his UT this fall, need to get off my butt and get back to work with him.