Well it sounded good at the time....

jcbuttry8

Well it sounded good at the time....

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:06 pm

So, I got the call this morning. Kona will be heading to spend a few months with Mike Tracy on June 1st. We have been talking about seeing if he would take her for awhile, but now that it is happening, what the heck am I supposed to do with out my buddy/Mistress!! Not a day goes by that I don't work with her. I have no doubt that she will be fine, but I am not sure that I can handle it. I am sure I will be a wreck. Guess the good thing is he is only a few hours away.

Time to get a another hobby. Least for a few months. Any thoughts other than boarding a rescue dog? I still need to have a home for her to come back to.

Joe

AzDoggin

Re: Well it sounded good at the time....

Post by AzDoggin » Sat May 05, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm sure you'll be happy with the finished product when you get your dog back....

Joe, I've done the boarding a rescue dog routine. My wife gets too attached to them...I barely got rid of the last one, tho I admit, he got me thinking about my next mutt and what I want in a dog.

I'd suggest a project. Build that deck you've been putting off. Put some storage cabinets in your garage. Paint the house. Do something that is time-limited and all consuming. Before you know it, the time will be passed, and your mutt will be home. I've always been the most productive at work when I don't feel well. My reasoning is that I'm miserable anyway, may as well put some crappy tasks behind me so when I feel better, I'll have a little more freedom to enjoy it!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat May 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Sorry to hear that Joe. She is probably going to feel abanded, lonely and loose trust in you :P :lol: . That poor little dog is going to be sadder than you and have to cry herself to sleep.

BTW, I am just joking and trying to give you a guilt trip :lol: .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Glad to hear you got her in Joe. Congratulations. You could always get you a Brittany and build a big wheel in the backyard that should be good for several days of entertainment. :D I am sure she will have the opportunity to learn and come back a much more rounded and beter dog for it.

Without getting another dog I can only think of a couple other hobbies I enjoy almost as much: shooting skeet/trap which does not mean a lot to you since you have given up bird hunting altogether :P , and pistol shooting/customizing/amatuer gunsmithing. How about you get a treadmill or stationary bike and workout for once in your life. :lol:

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat May 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Go shoot skeet a couple times a week.................. that way when you get her back and she does her job like she's supposed to you will hold the line on your part.
jcbuttry8 wrote:So, I got the call this morning. Kona will be heading to spend a few months with Mike Tracy on June 1st. We have been talking about seeing if he would take her for awhile, but now that it is happening, what the heck am I supposed to do with out my buddy/Mistress!! Not a day goes by that I don't work with her. I have no doubt that she will be fine, but I am not sure that I can handle it. I am sure I will be a wreck. Guess the good thing is he is only a few hours away.

Time to get a another hobby. Least for a few months. Any thoughts other than boarding a rescue dog? I still need to have a home for her to come back to.

Joe

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat May 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Start a new pup while she's gone. A guy really needs more than one dog!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

frosso

Post by frosso » Sat May 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm dropping mine off for school Monday and I'm already sad. I considered the foster dog but rather than get attached to another dog I've decided to build a pigeon loft and get some homers. That won't keep me busy the whole time she's gone but I will be ready to continue her work when she gets back.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat May 05, 2012 5:42 pm

There are some extra dogs here i need to move. Five males, three of them being buckles brothers. I have been watching them run i know you could do something with one of them. Roosters mom could be persuaded to get one of them closer your way. She's either in or gonna be in my area soon.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Do you have people you normally train with? Keep training with them. You wont be working your dog but at least you'll be doing dog stuff.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Brad, I think that is what i am going to do. I have a couple of people that I can join for some bird work.

Ron,
It really wasn't nice to go there. I let her read what you wrote and she called you a few names. I won't repeat them. She took a few tissues and went back to her kennel. Hope your happy. :P

And Tommyboy, where should I begin. I believe we just discussed how I not only get out and run my dog but am in the gym 5 days a week trying to cut off the winter coat. Now, as for you, you ball of chewed bubble gum, remember to move to different locations on the couch as you sit there watching your dogs plump up due to there lack of excercise. We don't want those divets to last forever in the cushions. You gotta give them some time to reset. :mrgreen: :D :D

Don, I have been working the future prospect avenue with the better half and due to the three dogs I have now and my town situation, I have to hang here for now with just the one pup. I have been working real hard but man she is tough. It will happen as soon as I can pull it off.

Joe

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 am

Joe, just curious if you have to ask for your testicles back before you leave the house as well? Guess we see who runs the show at your house. Your grandfather would be ashamed of you. What kind of Mexican male are you? :P

Just kidding Joe, I am extremely lucky in that I have a wife who is very understanding when it comes to my dogs other than she doesn't want more than one male around at a time to avoid fighting and marking which I tend to agree with. As long as I am content with having only one male and all other incoming dogs are female she is ok with it. As for the divets in the couch, brooding season for quail and pheasant chicks should be about up here now meaning adults should no longer be sittting eggs and young chicks so I can get out and start running dogs now without upsetting nests too much. Sure wish I had a quad to run off of but I guess I will just stay relegated to the fact that I have to get out and walk my fat a@# off. :P Makes for hard walking in sandy, loose soil with the cactus and goatheads and scrub brush, not like the mowed fields and groomed tree lines you are riding up there in Jersey. :P

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sun May 06, 2012 2:40 am

Mine has been gone for almost 3 months now. Let me tell you - it ain't easy. We get him back next weekend and can't wait.

Thing to kill time:
Fishing
Go out training with your training buddies still
Go on vacation
Build a pigeon coop

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun May 06, 2012 6:57 am

DonF wrote:Start a new pup while she's gone. A guy really needs more than one dog!
+1

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun May 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Great choice Joe! Mike will do great by Kona!

As for how do you do it....get another dog! That is ALWAYS the answer (and the reason I have 7 now!)
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Mon May 07, 2012 3:05 pm

good move, none better than the Tracy's!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks Karen. I know she will be in good hands. Just look at the two handler of the year awards. All in the family!!! Mudhunter, we will have to get the dogs together when she returns. I will be anxiously awaiting to run her by august.

Joe

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 am

Joe, If you would be willing and interested in a temporary buddy and helping a fella out, I just received this email this past weekend:
An urgent request has come our way for a 3 month temporary home for a very sweet 14 year old female GSP. The owner is being deployed to Egypt to work for the Corp of Engineers from the end of May to the end of August. Her name is Roxie and she is described as very sweet, likes people and children, is fine around other dogs, no health problems and is up to date on vaccines. The owner has had her since she was 8 wks old and doesn't want to put her through the stress of a kennel. She would be most happy in a loving home being treated like a family member. The food would be provided by the owner. If you can help, please contact me.
I believe this fellow is relatively local.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:44 pm

You know, I can relate. Send me more info and I will talk with the family.

Joe.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 pm

Joe,
I'm sending you a pm with some phone numbers.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)