Gun Dog Forum and Facebook

rinker

Gun Dog Forum and Facebook

Post by rinker » Thu May 10, 2012 11:07 am

I am starting to get several posts per day from Gun Dog Forum on my Facebook page. Excessive posting is the fastest way to get 'unliked/unfriended' on my facebook page. I assume that I am not the only one this is happening to.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Gun Dog Forum and Facebook

Post by ACooper » Thu May 10, 2012 11:21 am

In your opinion what is an acceptable number of posts per day to keep it active but not overwhelming? There is an attempt to bring more exposure to GDF, and to members who have litters, events, and brags.

Feed back appreciated.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu May 10, 2012 11:28 am

One per day, maximum. I just counted and I have had 10 so far today.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 am

Not sure why you would have gotten ten, I wonder if we are getting duplicates from twitter and facebook.
Last edited by ACooper on Sat May 12, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 am

You can just block updates from the GDF timeline if you want.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 am

I just scrolled my FB quickly, and I've gotten 17 GDF posts in the last 24 hours...

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 am

17 does seem excessive. It will be noted.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu May 10, 2012 11:57 am

It seems we are getting some duplicates from twitter/facebook, that is not the only culprit for excessive posts, looks like that will be an easy fix though.

Again feedback welcome and appreciated.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Thu May 10, 2012 11:59 am

Just checked my fb Coop and there were close to 30 in the last 24 hours. There were a couple duplicates there. Not sure if that it is because you're using a central social feed to post on all of them or if it because my twitter is causing them to duplicate or what.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 10, 2012 4:13 pm

The repetitive puppy peddling is A-nnoying. It's not like there's anything interesting on the feed, it's the same ads that are on the board.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Some good feedback, all will be considered. I think the double posts have been resolved. Now just have to watch no to over do it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks. When you have more posts than HuffPost and Zynga combined, you may want to back off a little.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu May 10, 2012 6:03 pm

How do you know if it's a GDF post?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri May 11, 2012 7:12 am

ACooper wrote:
This sounds interesting to me. I didn't know anything about GDF on facebook. I do very little facebook stuff my account is pretty much limited to mostly family. How would i do a seperate one maybe under my kennel name under a kennel email to keep stuff seperate. I think it sounds great. I have about 6 -7 free hours a night while i am at work.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri May 11, 2012 8:59 am

gotpointers wrote:
ACooper wrote:
This sounds interesting to me. I didn't know anything about GDF on facebook. I do very little facebook stuff my account is pretty much limited to mostly family. How would i do a seperate one maybe under my kennel name under a kennel email to keep stuff seperate. I think it sounds great. I have about 6 -7 free hours a night while i am at work.
You should be able to go to any page that you have "liked" and at the top right should be a button that says "create page". Not one of your friends pages but just a fan page like the Gun Dog Forum Facebook page.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri May 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Unfortunately I unliked GDF from my facebook as 20 plus posts was uncalled for and annoying. Certain things I didnt want to know about either, like pups for sale.

I wouldnt mind a few posts, especially if they were about some kind of an upcoming event.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri May 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Munster wrote:Unfortunately I unliked GDF from my facebook as 20 plus posts was uncalled for and annoying. Certain things I didnt want to know about either, like pups for sale.

I wouldnt mind a few posts, especially if they were about some kind of an upcoming event.

That's the goal now and going forward, we will be working on timing post better as well, that way maybe "fans" will not feel bombarded.

I assumed everyone was like me and blocked most incoming info and would have to go look at a page to see the posts. A gross misjudgment on my part. :oops:

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri May 11, 2012 7:30 pm

ACooper wrote:
gotpointers wrote:
ACooper wrote:
You should be able to go to any page that you have "liked" and at the top right should be a button that says "create page". Not one of your friends pages but just a fan page like the Gun Dog Forum Facebook page.

Thank you Sir for the tips. I think a "follow us on facebook" link up in the GDF header would make more people that don't regularly use facebook be aware it exists there.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Fri May 11, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm still trying to get my signed Delmar Smith Book. Did I win? Who won?

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Sat May 12, 2012 6:58 am

GDF needs a twitter account 8) all the cool kids are doing it....

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat May 12, 2012 7:13 am

Mr. JFH wrote:GDF needs a twitter account 8) all the cool kids are doing it....
We have one, come check us out @gundogforum

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Sat May 12, 2012 7:54 am

ACooper wrote:
I'm now following GDF, the account is only 8 days old. No wonder I didn't find it a few weeks back when I checked.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat May 12, 2012 10:18 am

Mr. JFH wrote:
ACooper wrote:
I'm now following GDF, the account is only 8 days old. No wonder I didn't find it a few weeks back when I checked.
What would you like to see from our twitter acct?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 am

I work in customer relationship marketing and social media is one aspect of CRM. I think the best way to approach social media is to utilize it as a conversation starter with your customers. Posts should be engaging, not annoying, as you've discovered. One post every few days that is attention grabbing and significant to your customer will go a lot further than a bunch of spam posts. Ultimately, social media should be a way to humanize your company. Looking at your FB page, your post last Friday really stands out (How do you pass the days with your dog until hunting/testing/trial season starts again?) It was simple but engaging and people clearly connected with it. However, you missed out on a great opportunity to connect with your customer. 7 people commented on the post with zero feedback from GDF. You don't have to respond to every post but you should make an effort to respond to one or two that stood out to you. Even if it's as simple as, "Sounds busy, keep up the hard work!" or even just "Awesome!" but there has to be the conversation aspect to your social media campaigns. I don't like your latest post (Has anyone seen or used one of these yet?) because it isn't clear what the subject of the post is. Don't make the customer click a link to figure out what you are talking about because very few people will do that....I think a better approach to engaged us with a quick intro to the article. Something like "D.T Systems has just released a new ecollar with gps, remote training and efence system capabilities all in one unit! Check out Brian Lynns article on the new system. Anyone try it out yet or want to try it out? What did you think?" When a post like that shows up in my newsfeed, my curiosity about this new system would get me to engage in your conversation, but seeing "Has anyone seen or used one of these yet?" with a link attached, I'm going to scroll right past that post. Check out the Pheasants Forever page. They do a great job with their social media campaign. Good luck!

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Mon May 14, 2012 11:29 am

DogNewbie +1

Also the a link to GDF is already in ur Bio, no need to add a link everytime u post. When advertising Litters it might be a good idea to post a picture of the pup or pups. That would catch the eye of dog lovers and possibly get more followers. For twitter 1-3 tweets a day is fine. it can be a quote about working dogs, information on the release of new gear, a quick post reminding people of an event (letting non Gun dog owners know they are welcome to come), or funny pictures that are bird dog related.....just some ideas.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon May 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Mr. JFH wrote:DogNewbie +1

Also the a link to GDF is already in ur Bio, no need to add a link everytime u post. When advertising Litters it might be a good idea to post a picture of the pup or pups. That would catch the eye of dog lovers and possibly get more followers. For twitter 1-3 tweets a day is fine. it can be a quote about working dogs, information on the release of new gear, a quick post reminding people of an event (letting non Gun dog owners know they are welcome to come), or funny pictures that are bird dog related.....just some ideas.
DogNewbie wrote:I work in customer relationship marketing and social media is one aspect of CRM. I think the best way to approach social media is to utilize it as a conversation starter with your customers. Posts should be engaging, not annoying, as you've discovered. One post every few days that is attention grabbing and significant to your customer will go a lot further than a bunch of spam posts. Ultimately, social media should be a way to humanize your company. Looking at your FB page, your post last Friday really stands out (How do you pass the days with your dog until hunting/testing/trial season starts again?) It was simple but engaging and people clearly connected with it. However, you missed out on a great opportunity to connect with your customer. 7 people commented on the post with zero feedback from GDF. You don't have to respond to every post but you should make an effort to respond to one or two that stood out to you. Even if it's as simple as, "Sounds busy, keep up the hard work!" or even just "Awesome!" but there has to be the conversation aspect to your social media campaigns. I don't like your latest post (Has anyone seen or used one of these yet?) because it isn't clear what the subject of the post is. Don't make the customer click a link to figure out what you are talking about because very few people will do that....I think a better approach to engaged us with a quick intro to the article. Something like "D.T Systems has just released a new ecollar with gps, remote training and efence system capabilities all in one unit! Check out Brian Lynns article on the new system. Anyone try it out yet or want to try it out? What did you think?" When a post like that shows up in my newsfeed, my curiosity about this new system would get me to engage in your conversation, but seeing "Has anyone seen or used one of these yet?" with a link attached, I'm going to scroll right past that post. Check out the Pheasants Forever page. They do a great job with their social media campaign. Good luck!
Excellent feedback, this is exactly what we are looking for. Very constructive ideas.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Blog and vimeo links, with the owners' permission, of course, would be interesting. Also, and I'm not responsible for the outcome to affected individuals, Pinterest is where all the cool kids are.