YouTube Channels?

Stoneface

YouTube Channels?

Post by Stoneface » Thu May 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Does anyone on here have or follow any YouTube channels pretty closely? I follow Willow Creek's channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/willowcreekkennels/videos . They always have a new video online and have a unique approach to training. I can't say I've ever used anything I've ever seen on their channel, but Chad's a real nice guy and they turn out some pretty decent, professional, easy-to-follow videos. Then I have a YouTube channel, though I'm not nearly as formal, professional or post as often as Willow Creek does. I also don't have a camera man unless I can bribe my brother with a can of chew or supper to come along and film for me. http://www.youtube.com/user/StonefaceKennel/videos
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Mr. JFH

Re: YouTube Channels?

Post by Mr. JFH » Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 am

ExpertVillage seems to have some pretty good videos on gundog training..... (SARCASM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTV9QrNtUtM&sns=em

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 am

Yeah Charlie is quite the trainer............... :roll: Problem with putting that stuff out there is you had better be ready to take the criticism that comes with it! Thank God for CPU's, now everyone can become an internet dog training sensation. I feel for the poor schmucks that dont know any better and try to replicate the techniques shown!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri May 11, 2012 12:33 pm

topher40 wrote:Thank God for CPU's, now everyone can become an internet dog training sensation.
Best post in the history of forever, right there! :D
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Here's the second volume of your video, Chris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRLmbl5Y ... =fvwp&NR=1
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri May 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Mr. JFH wrote:ExpertVillage seems to have some pretty good videos on gundog training..... (SARCASM)

Hey they are pretty good... for a laugh.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri May 11, 2012 1:47 pm

ACooper wrote:
Mr. JFH wrote:ExpertVillage seems to have some pretty good videos on gundog training..... (SARCASM)

+2 very funny ! Ha !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwxxTAd ... ata_player
Last edited by Francois P vd Walt on Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Boy oh boy Charlie is better than America's Funniest Home Videos! Thanks for posting.

Rowdy-
I just finished watching your breaking a dog steady to W&S segment that you had posted on FB. I have a few questions and comments. First off it appears that the dogs are getting really wise to the game that they are playing. So what happens when you turn them loose in a field that they arent used to and find a bird 200 yards ahead of you? How do you correct that? I saw Moxie run last year and know how old she is (roughly) so when do you let he off the checkcord to find the birds on her own without the constant threat of correction with you standing there beside her?

2nd- why do you use the dogs tail as a handle? Would it not be better to put your hand under their rear or even grab the flank to provide correction or style them back up?

3rd- But on the same general idea. What happens when you take that checkcord off of them and they dont have you giving that constant correction?

4th- Why would you not want that slim dog to smell the bird in the process?

5th- Why use the prong collar of you are right there to give any correction that is needed instantaneously?

Sixth- When do you actually start flushing the bird for the dog instead of standing next to the animal and flushing the bird with the launcher?

Again I will state that if you put this thing out there for everyone to see and promote it to be seen you leave yourself open to questions and criticism. Not to say I am criticizing although curious to your thought process more than anything since it seems that you have taken lots of tried and true methods and thrown them out of the window.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

frosso

Post by frosso » Fri May 11, 2012 1:57 pm

ExpertVillage .....should be VillageIdiot. I'm a newbie and even I can do better than that. :roll:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 pm

No problem, Chris, I ask a lot of questions, too. Always good to ask questions and you've got my word I won't get upset just because you don't see why I'm doing something or disagree with it.
First off it appears that the dogs are getting really wise to the game that they are playing. So what happens when you turn them loose in a field that they arent used to and find a bird 200 yards ahead of you? How do you correct that? I saw Moxie run last year and know how old she is (roughly) so when do you let he off the checkcord to find the birds on her own without the constant threat of correction with you standing there beside her?
Moxy's had exposure to birds without any interaction from me. When she was just a little pup I was planting birds for her and letting her find them, bust them and chase them on her own. Through that she got to where she would respect the bird and not pressure it. When she points she's real honest and has no problem waiting for me from 200 yards or until the bird flushes. I've got some video no my channel of her holding a released bird for way longer than it would take to walk 200 yards to get to her and that was when she was about nine months. I wouldn't start formal training with a dog until they've learned to respect the bird on their own. But, now that I have started formal training I'll go from working Moxy on the check cord, like you see in the film, to dropping the check cord and letting her have a little more independence when we get close. From there you run the entire session with dragged check cord. From there you take the check cord away. It's all about the baby steps. Now, if she does go on point way to the front and takes a step I'll flush the bird and she'll learn that just because I'm not there doesn't mean she can slack off. I don't think that's going to be a problem because she understands I'm the boss and she knows I want her to stay put when she establishes point.

Moxy has had plenty of exposure to different grounds. I will admit that she did horrible when you watched her. If I could have I would have buried my head in the ground. I took her off birds completely for several months and she opened up her range. I have four state areas I take the dogs to fairly regularly then the main training grounds, another five acres down the road for a little more controlled training and a friend who owns a dairy farm and about 300 acres. No problem on diverse grounds.
2nd- why do you use the dogs tail as a handle? Would it not be better to put your hand under their rear or even grab the flank to provide correction or style them back up?
I don't hesitate to use a dog's tail to reset them if it's a dog like Moxy. She's fairly bold and has a strong personaltiy and I think it's a little more uncomfortable to them and serves more as a correction. Cinna is more sensative and softer and if I pick her up by her tail she tends to drop her hind end when I set her down. She's getting better about it, but I'll often times just wrap under her flank. i don't like to style a dog up because I think it's disrespectful to a dog on point to interfere when they're doing their job well – a lot of talking and touching.
3rd- But on the same general idea. What happens when you take that checkcord off of them and they dont have you giving that constant correction?
If they aren’t totally complying to me then they don’t get the check cord removed, but when the check cord does come off, if they don’t comply, then you need to give them a reminder. It’s all about letting them know who’s boss. You and I are in two different realms of birddogs. You want a fire-breathing, ground eating machine. I want a well-behaved, well-mannered dog that I can enjoy watching in the field then enjoy supper with that night before we go to sleep in the same bed. Our whole relationship is personal and built on me being the boss and her being the subordinate. If she is just flipping me off and running around like an idiot (if she’s not too young) then when I get ahold of her there’s going to be a reality check, but that’s usually not necessary.
4th- Why would you not want that slim dog to smell the bird in the process?
I think it makes for a smoother transition into holding point if it’s done this way. Require the dog to Whoa with thrown birds so he understands that he can’t disregard everything and go crazy when a bird flushes. Then, when you go to a bird in a launcher, without the dog smelling the bird, he will be focused on you, not the bird, so when you launch that bird, it’s a surprise. At the moment the bird launches, he’s not worried about catching it, he’s in Whoa mode. This whole step is about getting the dog to associate all four feet flat on the ground when the bird busts out of the cover. From here, when the dog smells the bird, he’ll be more inclined to hold point, not just Whoa, and watch the bird fly away.
5th- Why use the prong collar of you are right there to give any correction that is needed instantaneously?
Bob Wehle used a prong collar. It reaches a dog on a primal level. It’s designed to simulate teeth on a dog’s neck, just like a mama dog who grabs a pup by the neck. So, if the dog takes a step and I just pick him up and move him back, it doesn’t do as much, doesn’t reach him on as primal or natural a level, as if you use the prong collar. People swear by the Wonder Lead, and I think it’s a great tool, but dogs just melt like butter when you make a correction with a prong collar, if you do it right. It doesn’t break their spirit or hurt them, just lets them know their place and their more inclined to accept it. If you haven’t tried it, I’d recommend you buy one. They’re amazing.
Sixth- When do you actually start flushing the bird for the dog instead of standing next to the animal and flushing the bird with the launcher?
In these videos I want to have total control. I want to be able to control when the bird flushes and want to be focused on Moxy the whole time. I stand next to her so I can make a correction if it’s needed. I don’t want to have a bird planted 20 foot out and I’m at the end of the check cord, looking down at the bird, trying to flush it while Moxy’s breaking point. I want to be next to her, but not interfering with her, and have that bird flush as smoothly as can be. I also don’t want the bird to wake up and flush while I’m beating around on the ground, trying to get her to break. From the stage you see in the video with Moxy, once she’s showing good steadiness, not moving at all, I’ll start flushing the bird with me farther to the front, like a more typical hunting condition.
Again I will state that if you put this thing out there for everyone to see and promote it to be seen you leave yourself open to questions and criticism. Not to say I am criticizing although curious to your thought process more than anything since it seems that you have taken lots of tried and true methods and thrown them out of the window.
You say they’re tried and true, but Ford tested the Pinto before releasing it and I can’t think of anyone that would say the Pinto couldn’t be improved on. The day someone thinks they can’t improve is the day they should re-evaluate how they’re doing things. There’s a million roads to the same place, different people take different roads. Besides, the only thing two trainers can agree on is what the third one is doing wrong… but they still can’t agree on HOW he’s doing it wrong.

No qualms with the questions or criticism. Ask away. If you’d be willing to post how you break your dogs, I’d like to read about it.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri May 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:
ACooper wrote:

+2 very funny ! Ha !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwxxTAd ... ata_player
Dig it, man (dig that music, too). i know it's probably not feasible in your part of Africa, but I keep thinking a big ol' Crocodile is going to jump out of the water and grab one of those dogs or a lion's going to run by and nab one of them. :oops:
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Ahhh, the Pinto. Keep the cost down, keep the weight down, regardless of the consequences. Oh, and a human life is worth $200,675.

Don't do YouTube myself, but, then, I never needed it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sat May 12, 2012 1:53 am

It is the way things are going ! YouTube, dvd, web, etc.

It is always good to watch how others do it, if one think you know it all, imo you have lost !

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sat May 12, 2012 2:02 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Ahhh, the Pinto. Keep the cost down, keep the weight down, regardless of the consequences. Oh, and a human life is worth $200,675.

Don't do YouTube myself, but, then, I never needed it.
Tim Nokes said protein is the way to keep weight down !
The pinto is a great horse ! Hz

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat May 12, 2012 2:31 am

Francois, this is the Ford Pinto. Considered a death trap these days. The gas tank was position at the far back end of the car, so if a Pinto was rear-ended... boom.

www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Sat May 12, 2012 5:05 am

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sat May 12, 2012 7:18 am

This is even more funny ! :D

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Sun May 13, 2012 9:37 am

If *THAT* was honoring, I'll have my Master Hunter titles in NOT TIME FLAT. :lol:

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun May 13, 2012 10:05 am

QuailHollow wrote:
If *THAT* was honoring, I'll have my Master Hunter titles in NOT TIME FLAT. :lol:
+1 they only showed some interest once the saw the box/bird. Ha !

mm

Post by mm » Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 am

What does Charlie from expert village charge to train, does anyone know. I like the way he plants birds, he never loose them.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed May 16, 2012 11:13 am

The birds must be trofee material, they are a certan keeper this way ! Ha !

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

The hunt with 2 dogs has been one of my favorites for a while! Too funny. So THAT is honoring! :D