Bird farms?

birdguy321

Bird farms?

Post by birdguy321 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:33 pm

I was just wondering about gamebird farm and their status with this economy anybody started one ending got smaller or bigger? I used to raise birds several years ago as a hobby just wondering if Should consider it again with this economy are people buying birds. What time people are buying birds now is there a market for them ? Do you think the market will grow or shrink in the. Foreseeable future and what kind of birds are selling now thanks

smoothbean

Re: Bird farms?

Post by smoothbean » Wed May 16, 2012 5:06 pm

I know if you would have had quail and chukars last year you would have sold everyone had. I think I heard there was also a shortage of pheasants as well. Not sure what it will be like this year but, I would say you would be a step ahead if you have experience raising birds. I think if I had the place and the know how I would seriously consider it.
I am going to try to put some sort of database together for our event holders so they can have plenty of bird suppliers to buy from. I hope to find some new suppliers in different areas to tell our members about.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 pm

I think with the right type of marketing & if you could find a way to safely ship small quantity's say 50 quail or less I think you would do good. Like any business (same as bird dogs) you only get out what you put in. I have always had a hard time getting quail in small numbers.(50) I like getting day old to raise for fun. I like bobwhites for release & recapture. For me now I have lucked out with a gamebird breeder in my home town.

Graves14

Post by Graves14 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I can't buy birds anywhere near me at the moment. I've reverted to catching feral pigeons. The farm my club deals with told me they wouldnt have spares till sept. pretty lame

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat May 19, 2012 7:08 pm

I don't know the reason but I have had the same experience not being able to find birds.MY friend went on a training trip to GA and VA. he could not find birds there either, so the problem is widespread.

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Sun May 20, 2012 9:02 am

Around here in KY the suppliers forecasted a downturn, and produced fewer birds. The demand remained relatively the same, so we ran out of birds to purchase. I think most of them plan on having more birds this year, we should be ok. At least I hope so. They were few and far between last year, and got pretty expensive if you could find them.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:34 am