UKC Trials

bkidd79

UKC Trials

Post by bkidd79 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Im diving in! I am scheduled to attend and have signed up for the SHR trial this weekend. I have never been to a trial before but from what I have read I think my pup is ready.

I have a lot of butterflies right now though. I am worried that he will be on the retrieves and on his way back smell something new in the field and go exploring. Other than that I think he will do great. Any suggestions/words of wisdom for me on this weekend?

BillThomas

Re: UKC Trials

Post by BillThomas » Thu May 17, 2012 3:15 pm

I think the best thing is go to the clubtraining days, good to be around other dogs and people for the dogs and the experience, Its one thing to train alone and another to do with all the distractions.

Have Fun, Dont be nervous, take that attitude.

I have seen dogs fail-Chessies, Labs, Goldens even.

I passed many UKS/HRC tests with my Drahthaar. Had fun and met alot of nice people

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Don't put a wet dog in a closed box or crate. On a warm day, this acts like a sauna and can cause hyperthermia quickly. I know a couple of water dog novices who learned this the hard way and one lost their dog.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

bkidd79

Post by bkidd79 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:29 am

Tucker passed his(and my) first Started Retriever hunt test!! I'm not going to lie, I was pretty excited. His first retrieve wasnt perfect, but he recovered and his next three were nearly flawless. Very pleased to meet several other owners, and everyone there was nothing but pleasant, supportive, and informative. I have already signed up for the next hunt in two weeks. I cannot wait until he get his first title.

Thanks for the advice, and I learned a ton while I was there as well.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 am

Congrats!!! HRC trials are a ton of fun......I jumped into it last year and am hooked as well. Got an SHR on my GSP and can't wait to go back to more HRC training once we've progressed in NAVHDA.

I might be way off base here, but is that a PWS lanyard in your avatar?
Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

bkidd79

Post by bkidd79 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Well truth be told, due to my inexperience, I didnt take a call with me to the testing. Along with all of the other great people I met at the test, the judge allowed me to use her call. I hadn't thought anything about the color other than "this looks pretty manly" until reading your post. I didn't know what PWS was.

I just finished doing my research on it and although I cannot say that it was a PWS lanyard, I can say that I now have one on its way to me. My wife, 34, was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago. After a long battle I can say proudly that she is perfectly healthy. It was a long road, but shes a strong woman.

Its pretty neat how you pointed that out and how it ties all together. Thank you!